new fixie!

Old April 10th 04, 07:50 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Default new fixie!

I've been working on building up a fixed gear bicycle from scrounged parts
for a while now, and I finally got it ride-able the other day. The frame
was rusty when I found it, and the rear triangle was bent.

Here's what it looks like now, after I finished painting the frame (old
paint and rust cleaned off with a wire brush wheel on a drill):

http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/personal/bike/fixie1a.jpg
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/personal/bike/fixie2a.jpg

It still needs bar tape, and probably a back brake (it's got just a regular
freewheel hub with the cog and a BB lockring screwed on). The gearing
seems to be okay, if a little high for some hills; it's a 40x14 with 175mm
cranks (yeah, I know they're long, but I couldn't find any shorter ones I
liked and pedal strikes don't seem to be a problem -- the pedals strike at
just a bit shy of 45 degrees lean.)

I've got some toe clips waiting for it, too.

The brakes barely fit with the top of the pads shaved off -- the frame was
evidently made for 27" wheels.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of
Congress. But I repeat myself. -- Mark Twain
Old April 10th 04, 04:05 PM
Mike Kruger

"Benjamin Lewis" wrote in message

The brakes barely fit with the top of the pads shaved off -- the frame was
evidently made for 27" wheels.

There are such things as "long reach" brakes, where the arms are longer. I
scrounged a pair off a bike abandoned at the curb -- but I'm keeping them in
case I need to convert my 27 incher to a 700 some day due to parts
availability.

Sheldon Brown, master of the workaround, has a solution you might be
interested in.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

Old April 10th 04, 05:02 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

[...]

That thing looks really nice! Makes my similar Apollo conversion look
like junk.

Now I just have to check the gearing on mine; I think I'm using like a
50x14, which may explain why I find it a pain to ride.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old April 10th 04, 06:49 PM
Mike Latondresse

Ryan Cousineau wrote in
:

That thing looks really nice! Makes my similar Apollo conversion
look like junk.

Now I just have to check the gearing on mine; I think I'm using
like a 50x14, which may explain why I find it a pain to ride.

Ryan, I ride mine a lot and use a 42x16 which seems to be just about
right for the average hills around the city although it would be a bit
of a grind up SFU hill.
Old April 10th 04, 09:32 PM
Jacobe Hazzard

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
I've been working on building up a fixed gear bicycle from scrounged
parts for a while now, and I finally got it ride-able the other day.
The frame was rusty when I found it, and the rear triangle was bent.

Here's what it looks like now, after I finished painting the frame (old
paint and rust cleaned off with a wire brush wheel on a drill):

http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/personal/bike/fixie1a.jpg
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/personal/bike/fixie2a.jpg

That's a nice looking bike! Can you share a little about how you did the
painting? (It sounds like you did it yourself?)
I am interesting in painting some frames I have scrounged, and would be
very happy with those results. I am wondering about primers, brands of
paint, topcoats etc.

Old April 10th 04, 09:45 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Mike Latondresse wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote in
:

That thing looks really nice! Makes my similar Apollo conversion
look like junk.

Now I just have to check the gearing on mine; I think I'm using
like a 50x14, which may explain why I find it a pain to ride.

Ryan, I ride mine a lot and use a 42x16 which seems to be just about
right for the average hills around the city although it would be a bit
of a grind up SFU hill.

I did some tooth counting today...The current gear is a 52x16. I'm going
to try something more in your range. I even have a fresh set of 165mm
cranks to install on that bike, so maybe the fixie will get a little
more work this year.

Old April 10th 04, 10:32 PM
R15757

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

...175mm
cranks (yeah, I know they're long, but I couldn't find any shorter ones I
liked and pedal strikes don't seem to be a problem -- the pedals strike at
just a bit shy of 45 degrees lean.) ...

I would stick with the 175s unless you have real short legs and would use
shorter cranks anyway.

Robert
Old April 10th 04, 10:38 PM
Gooserider

[...]

Nice save! Are those rack/fender eyelets I see? You've got the makings of a
nice commuter there, I say. Have fun with it...

Old April 11th 04, 03:30 AM
Gary Smiley

I went to Sheldon's site. Look at the picture- Is that bike made of wood?

..

Old April 11th 04, 03:32 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Mike Kruger wrote:

Sheldon Brown, master of the workaround, has a solution you might be
interested in.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

Yeah, I was thinking I might do something along those lines. I remember
seeing that before and thinking it looked scary, but now that I see the
details it's doesn't look so bad.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which the only
specification is that it should run noiselessly.