One way streets

Old September 17th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Default One way streets

GutterCyclist wrote:
On 17 Sep, 21:18, JNugent wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
According to the free arsewipe this evening, Chelsington will be
trialling an "except cyclists" exemption to be signed under No Entry
and One Way signs, as a pilot for allowing cyclists to ride against
the flow in one-way streets.
And are they going to post warning signs all along the affected roads
so that motorists don't get caught out by this? Sounds like a really
dumb idea to me.

What about pedestrians crossing the road?

As a pedestrian, I always remember to look both ways, especially on a
one-way street.

So you're alright then?
Old September 17th 09, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GutterCyclist

On 17 Sep, 22:51, Tosspot wrote:
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

According to the free arsewipe this evening, Chelsington will be
trialling an "except cyclists" exemption to be signed under No Entry
and One Way signs, as a pilot for allowing cyclists to ride against
the flow in one-way streets.

What side do you ride up the wrong way of a one way street?

The side facing the oncoming traffic, of course.
Old September 17th 09, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GutterCyclist

On 17 Sep, 22:54, JNugent wrote:
GutterCyclist wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
According to the free arsewipe this evening, Chelsington will be
trialling an "except cyclists" exemption to be signed under No Entry
and One Way signs, as a pilot for allowing cyclists to ride against
the flow in one-way streets.
And are they going to post warning signs all along the affected roads
so that motorists don't get caught out by this? *Sounds like a really
dumb idea to me.
What about pedestrians crossing the road?

As a pedestrian, I always remember to look both ways, especially on a
one-way street.

So you're alright then?

Last time I checked, yes.
Old September 18th 09, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:12:40 -0700 (PDT), GutterCyclist
wrote:

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

According to the free arsewipe this evening, Chelsington will be
trialling an "except cyclists" exemption to be signed under No Entry
and One Way signs, as a pilot for allowing cyclists to ride against
the flow in one-way streets.

And are they going to post warning signs all along the affected roads
so that motorists don't get caught out by this? *Sounds like a really
dumb idea to me.

What about pedestrians crossing the road?

As a pedestrian, I always remember to look both ways, especially on a
one-way street.

"especially on a one-way street."

Why?

--
Latest DfT Figures: Passenger casualty rates by mode Per billion passenger kilometers:
Killed or seriously injured: Pedal Cyclists : 527 Pedestrians 371
Old September 18th 09, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

wrote:

As a pedestrian, I always remember to look both ways, especially on a
one-way street.

"especially on a one-way street."

Why?

So do I. The reason is that: before I step into the road I want to make sure
some numpty (cyclist, motorist or otherwise) is not going to run me over.

But as cyclists know, peds stepping out in front of them is a problem even
if the cyclist is cycling with the traffic flow. It's another reason why
centre of lane (or what judith likes to call "primary position") is better.
It gives space from the peds walking out in front of you.

Old September 18th 09, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

On Sep 17, 8:39 pm, Rob Morley wrote:

According to the free arsewipe this evening, Chelsington will be
trialling an "except cyclists" exemption to be signed under No
Entry and One Way signs, as a pilot for allowing cyclists to ride
against the flow in one-way streets.

And are they going to post warning signs all along the affected
roads so that motorists don't get caught out by this? Sounds like
a really dumb idea to me.

I don't know. The Swedes said switching to driving on the right was a
dumb idea but it seems to have worked for them.

That's not something you'll easily forget about - every other vehicle
will (hopefully) be doing it too.

Maybe it's stupid,
maybe it's clever. We'll have to wait and see, I guess - which is
kind of implied by the fact that it's referred to as a trial.

Is it going to apply to all one way streets, or just those that are
deemed suitable? I just foresee it causing all sorts of problems as
motorists will have another excuse to resent cyclists and cyclists will
have so many more tales of idiot motorists to tell.

Contraflow cycle lanes are nothing new and, IMHO, nothing to get worked up
about. The problem may arise if the council try to do things on the cheap
and forget about painting in the cycle lane. They may see it as one way of
tackling the incidence of POBs that ride up the one way streets anyway.

Old September 18th 09, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

wrote:

As a pedestrian, I always remember to look both ways, especially on a
one-way street.

"especially on a one-way street."

Why?

So do I. The reason is that: before I step into the road I want to make
sure some numpty (cyclist, motorist or otherwise) is not going to run me
over.

But as cyclists know, peds stepping out in front of them is a problem even
if the cyclist is cycling with the traffic flow. It's another reason why
centre of lane (or what judith likes to call "primary position") is
better. It gives space from the peds walking out in front of you.

Yup, the best place to be for sure.

Since I've started cycling to and fro in Manchester last month, it's clear
that the most sensible place to ride is in the centre of the lane -
especially on O-W-Streets. If a motorist is behind me and it's safe for me
to move to one side I'll let him/her pass, but otherwise I'll hold my
position. So far I've never failed to re-pass anyone who has 'forced' their
way through.

In general, being in the centre of the lane gives you time and space for you
to make eye-contact with pedestrians - or to use your bell for those who are
not looking in your direction!

Old September 19th 09, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

"GutterCyclist" wrote in message
On 17 Sep, 20:25, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
According to the free arsewipe this evening, Chelsington will be
trialling an "except cyclists" exemption to be signed under No Entry
and One Way signs, as a pilot for allowing cyclists to ride against
the flow in one-way streets.
--

Saw a premature adopter around our way last week. He was riding the
wrong way on the South Circular while using a mobile phone. Naturally,

I'm sure the BMA would reassure us that whatever recklessness he was
demonstrating was reduced by 85% as a result of his headwear.

And some people would believe them!

Old September 19th 09, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

According to the free arsewipe this evening, Chelsington will be
trialling an "except cyclists" exemption to be signed under No Entry
and One Way signs, as a pilot for allowing cyclists to ride against
the flow in one-way streets.

And are they going to post warning signs all along the affected roads
so that motorists don't get caught out by this? Sounds like a really
dumb idea to me.

What about pedestrians crossing the road?

Standard practice is to avoid them. Are you thinking of the OWSs that are
small and generally little used, such that most pedestrians are unaware that
they /are/ OWSs, or were you thinking of the multi-lane OWSs that most
pedestrians are unlikely to 'wander into' unawares ?

A default position in the centre of the lane is generally the safest place
from which one can make decisions about which part of the road is the safest
to use from moment to moment - always being equally considerate of other
road users of course.

Old September 19th 09, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:00:02 +0100
"David Lloyd" wrote:

Contraflow cycle lanes are nothing new and, IMHO, nothing to get
worked up about. The problem may arise if the council try to do
things on the cheap and forget about painting in the cycle lane.

That was how it sounded to me - stick an "Except cycles" panel under the
no entry and one way signs and then just leave them to it.