International send-off messages? "Ride well"?

Old November 26th 14, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default International send-off messages? "Ride well"?

Yes, BONNE ROUTE goes well here...allows distancing from the ongoing reality of it visavee traffic...kinda seprates positions for a moment, good for perceptual readjustments

HAPPY MOTORING, I forget from whom...Esso Texaco ? closes in..

Rough Seas ! he shouted

well yes, after creeping along the cliff and out there I was looking down at a large fishing boat 1 mile west...

Old November 26th 14, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Mr Pounder

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed out
that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to get
warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes, there's the
extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice they were out
there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off message
do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more pleasant
good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

"When are you gonna dump that child's toy and buy a car"?

Old November 26th 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:30:57 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

"May your ride be free of tigers"
"Is your cell phone battery charged?"
"If you're not back by sundown, should I report you as missing?"
"What have you forgotten this time?"
"Remember... the sag wagon is cheaper than the ambulance."
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 26th 14, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

"May your ride be free of tigers"
"Is your cell phone battery charged?"
"If you're not back by sundown, should I report you as missing?"
"What have you forgotten this time?"
"Remember... the sag wagon is cheaper than the ambulance."

"Don't do 20mph on the Connery trail again. Remember?"

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 26th 14, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Andrew Chaplin writes:

Frank Krygowski wrote in news:m52ec5$gh$1@dont-
email.me:

America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

In Canada, French would be "Bonne route!" which is also used to send off
motorists; in English, "Have a good ride!" but "Stay safe!" is often heard,
too.

Rarely heard: "Don't kill anybody!".

Old November 27th 14, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:22:55 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Andrew Chaplin writes:

[...]

as you may know, I'm leaving for the coast in a few days, again, but first a trip east for the Orion launch.

thanks for the send off. the other forums I attended cut me out.

there is off course a website

https://www.google.com/#q=PHRASES+fo...hes+for+travel

adios

hasta luego

what did Arnold say ?

and the Arabs

He who does not travel does not know the value of men
Old November 27th 14, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:58:45 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

"Don't do 20mph on the Connery trail again. Remember?"
:-)

"Please remember that you have only one life to give for your hobby."

"Fast is Fun".
Old November 27th 14, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

our favorite hobbyist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYnTtul3670

Old December 8th 14, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:30:57 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

****! There are cars in America. Who would have thought such a thing. You
made them. Your country grew up with them and sold them all over the
world.

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

Errr. No warnings. No pleasant goodbyes. Maybe a "See you at the bar
tomorrow night." Despite driving standards being a bit lax around here
(Turkey) there is no panic about riding a bike because we don't live in a
litigious nanny state safety culture. Also, even looking at the price of
second hand cars may make your eyes bleed.

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

I'll give you English and a Turkish translation.

Yarın barda görüşelim mi? - Shall we meet at the bar tomorrow?
Tamam. Dokuz buçukta orada olacağım. - OK. I'll be there at 9.30.

Hope that's helpful

Cycling used to be seen as something done by the poor or strange but has
in only a very few years seen a massive increase in uptake. Drinking
however remains high.

Which is nice.
--
davethedave
Old December 8th 14, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank may see Indiana as a separate country ?

Urine Turkey ? WTH are you doing in Turkey ? deported ?

I watched video's of Euro trucking...

the Spanish 'ADIOS' suffices.