Cycling in Gary Indiana

Old June 6th 15, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_6_]

Default Cycling in Gary Indiana

On 6/06/2015 4:01 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.wlsam.com/2015/06/05/bicy...and-run-crash/

What, no Lycra?

Hmmm, a man on a bike is killed by a hit and run motorist and you make a
joke out of it? I suppose it isn't really tasteless though because he
was just an ordinary man in ordinary street clothes and you didn't know
him or any of his friends and family.
PH
Old June 6th 15, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 3:16:09 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/5/2015 1:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 2:01:34 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.wlsam.com/2015/06/05/bicy...and-run-crash/

The last bicyclist killed in our extended metro area was, as it turned out, not
a bicyclist.

When the report came out (last December, I think) he was described as a
bicyclist. But in the intervening months, witnesses came forward. Turns out
the unfortunate guy was walking along the road's edge in the wrong direction
(i.e. not facing traffic) and rolling a bicycle along with him as he walked.

IIRC, it was dark (very early morning) and he had no lights; but lights are
not required for pedestrians. (I never heard whether the bike had any
reflectors.)

The driver has been located and charged with hit-and-run. FWIW, I do think
that it's the responsibility of the driver to drive so as to avoid a
pedestrian on the road. Even one facing the wrong way. We give motorists
too much deference, not enough responsibility.

(A woman I've met has a sign in her yard, "Drive like your kids live here."
http://drivelikeyourkidslivehere.com/ In a residential neighborhood, that
_should_ go without saying.)

- Frank Krygowski

He should have taken the lane, right?

Sorry, wrong. He was a pedestrian, not a vehicle operator.

Aside from the legality, why should that matter? The question of
interest is how to best avoid being hit by cars while in the street. If
being lane-center is best for bicyclists, why is it not recommended for
pedestrians? To simplify matters, let's stipulate that this is a
one-way street and the pedesrian is walking in the direction of traffic.

--
Joe Riel
Old June 6th 15, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Peter Howard writes:

On 6/06/2015 4:01 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.wlsam.com/2015/06/05/bicy...and-run-crash/

What, no Lycra?

Hmmm, a man on a bike is killed by a hit and run motorist and you make
a joke out of it? I suppose it isn't really tasteless though because
he was just an ordinary man in ordinary street clothes and you didn't
know him or any of his friends and family.
PH

I suspect the remark was a reaction to the extensive detail in the
article of what the guy was wearing, down to the brand. Presumably that
was done because the person had not yet been identified and the
description might be helpful.

--
Joe Riel
Old June 6th 15, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

HE DID TAKE THE LANE, THAT'S WHY .....

wuhwuhwuhwuh
Old June 6th 15, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

it was a warm summer night. Have you read classic southern novels ?

it was a warm summer night. I was standing at the kitchen window looking down at the residential city intersection of the 19th and 20th century staring a fresh iced tea when a

http://www.fotosdecarros.com/wp-cont...Blue-Paint.jpg

came round the hotel steps burning some rubber heading down 10th.

https://goo.gl/RNU58s I'm in the window above 503. Buikding next door was an early 20th Century 3 story school house with brick courtyard and a belfry filled with

GIANT BATS !

30 minutes later I noticed some activity down a block,flashing lights...

the road runner had run his last corner...

ahead https://goo.gl/c3Xrie an 80 year old woman pushing a grocery cart crossed from right to left...

the roadrunner cut her into 3-4 pieces head rolling under a parked car and innards all over the street.

Old June 6th 15, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 4:35:10 PM UTC-7, JoeRiel wrote:
Peter Howard writes:

On 6/06/2015 4:01 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.wlsam.com/2015/06/05/bicy...and-run-crash/

What, no Lycra?

Hmmm, a man on a bike is killed by a hit and run motorist and you make
a joke out of it? I suppose it isn't really tasteless though because
he was just an ordinary man in ordinary street clothes and you didn't
know him or any of his friends and family.
PH

I suspect the remark was a reaction to the extensive detail in the
article of what the guy was wearing, down to the brand. Presumably that
was done because the person had not yet been identified and the
description might be helpful.

Groan. Do I have to be sensitive in this NG, too? I'm totally exhausted from being sensitive. Give me a bottle of vodka and some of that good ol' off-colored humor!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 6th 15, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Howard writes:

On 6/06/2015 4:01 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.wlsam.com/2015/06/05/bicy...and-run-crash/

What, no Lycra?

Hmmm, a man on a bike is killed by a hit and run motorist and you make
a joke out of it? I suppose it isn't really tasteless though because
he was just an ordinary man in ordinary street clothes and you didn't
know him or any of his friends and family.
PH

I suspect the remark was a reaction to the extensive detail in the
article of what the guy was wearing, down to the brand. Presumably that
was done because the person had not yet been identified and the
description might be helpful.

Groan. Do I have to be sensitive in this NG, too? I'm totally exhausted from being sensitive. Give me a bottle of vodka and some of that good ol' off-colored humor!

-- Jay Beattie.

hear about Hastert and the little colored girl in the broom closet ?
Old June 6th 15, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 7:28:58 PM UTC-4, JoeRiel wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

It matters because pedestrians are, for very good reasons, instructed to
walk _facing_ traffic. Bicyclists are legally required to ride in the
same direction as motor vehicle traffic. Bicyclists are also legally
required to use lights and reflectors, while pedestrians (in the U.S.)
are not.

Moving in the same direction as other traffic increases the time available
for driver perception. Using lights and reflectors does the same thing.
I can cite a couple papers on that if you like. This is probably part of the
reason why only 700 cyclists are killed each year, vs. about 4000 pedestrians.

BTW, one major functional difference for the direction of travel disparity
between bikes and peds is that a typical pedestrian is capable of jumping
up onto a curb or across a ditch if absolutely necessary. A typical
bicyclist can't make those moves. This is one of many reasons why in 50 states,
all Canadian provinces and (AFAIK) all European countries, bicyclists are
supposed to follow vehicle rules, not pedestrian rules.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 6th 15, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Moving in the same direction as other traffic increases the time available
for driver perception.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...082.064867.jpg

take the dog poop
Old June 6th 15, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Moving in the same direction as other traffic increases the time available
for driver perception.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...082.064867.jpg

take the dog poop

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

urine big trouble with Cal Edu

northern Indiana timothy douma Rides 3 April 30th 07 03:22 AM
No Gary, NO!, No Gary NO! nooooooooo GARY!!!!!! Jock Australia 21 September 3rd 06 01:41 PM
bloomington, indiana Unitik908 Unicycling 0 July 6th 06 06:01 PM
uni in indiana and wisonsin Mullethunter Unicycling 4 June 19th 06 06:42 PM
US Cycling hires Gary West Hamish Ferguson Racing 12 April 1st 05 04:12 AM