Spot the year

Old June 13th 04, 09:53 PM
Tony Raven

Default Spot the year

Just for fun I took the graphs of head injury rates amongst cyclists in
Western Australia and New Zealand and removed all traces of dates etc. I've
posted them at http://www.cycling.raven-family.com/Helmet%20Graphs.jpg

Without the hints on the original graphs, can you spot when the mandatory
helmet law was introduced? Answers in ticks from the left on a postcard
without cheating and looking up the originals.

Thought it would make a good challenge for the Swampmonster to ask her to
point it out if the opportunity ever arose.

Tony

Old June 13th 04, 10:34 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:53:38 +0100, "Tony Raven"
wrote in message
:

Just for fun I took the graphs of head injury rates amongst cyclists in
Western Australia and New Zealand and removed all traces of dates etc. I've
posted them at http://www.cycling.raven-family.com/Helmet%20Graphs.jpg

Yup. Been there, done that. The really striking thing is that the
Australian weareing rate apparnetly went from around 30% to around 80%
in the three years up to and including compulsion. Can you see any
justification for 90%, 88%, 85% or 69% efficacy in that chart?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 13th 04, 11:55 PM
James Annan

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Yup. Been there, done that. The really striking thing is that the
Australian weareing rate apparnetly went from around 30% to around 80%
in the three years up to and including compulsion. Can you see any
justification for 90%, 88%, 85% or 69% efficacy in that chart?

3214%, obviously.

James

Old June 15th 04, 03:49 AM
anonymous coward

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:53:38 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

Just for fun I took the graphs of head injury rates amongst cyclists in
Western Australia and New Zealand and removed all traces of dates etc. I've
posted them at http://www.cycling.raven-family.com/Helmet%20Graphs.jpg

Without the hints on the original graphs, can you spot when the mandatory
helmet law was introduced? Answers in ticks from the left on a postcard
without cheating and looking up the originals.

Here's a spoiler for the australian graph showing the percentage of
crashes that result in a head-injury:

http://agbu.une.edu.au/~drobinso/ozdoc.html

(It looks similar so I assume it's where you got your graph from, Tony?)

The answer being that helmet compulsion was introduced 2 ticks from the
RHS, just before pedestrian head injuries fall and cyclist head-injuries
rise.

AC
Old June 15th 04, 09:23 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

anonymous coward wrote:

http://agbu.une.edu.au/~drobinso/ozdoc.html

Obviously those are Cook & Sheikh helmets they are wearing - the cycle
helmets have protected the pedestrians very well indeed!

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Old June 15th 04, 12:28 PM
Tony Raven

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
anonymous coward wrote:

http://agbu.une.edu.au/~drobinso/ozdoc.html

Obviously those are Cook & Sheikh helmets they are wearing - the cycle
helmets have protected the pedestrians very well indeed!

I think, in dedication to their cause, C&S should wear enough helmets to
protect all of us. After all their first priority is safety and they can be
far more certain that people will be safe that way than trust to the vagaries
of whether individual do or don't wear helmets. ;-0

Tony