hotfoot

Old November 27th 04, 04:13 AM
alan

Default hotfoot

I see people referring to "hotfoot" on aprevious post. is this condition
like plantar fasciitis or just a temporary thing on long rides? i ask
because i have a chronic pf problem and wonder if my egg-beaters are
contributing...(have new shoes with hard sole)

ps. i know i know, go and see the doctor...too bad more of them aren't
cyclists!
-alan

Old November 27th 04, 04:30 AM
Roger Zoul

alan wrote:
|| I see people referring to "hotfoot" on aprevious post. is this
|| condition like plantar fasciitis or just a temporary thing on long
|| rides? i ask because i have a chronic pf problem and wonder if my
|| egg-beaters are contributing...(have new shoes with hard sole)

It only happens on long rides on hot days for me, especially if I wear my
shoes too tight. Once I get off the bike the problem disappears.

Old November 27th 04, 04:34 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

alan wrote:
I see people referring to "hotfoot" on aprevious post. is this
condition like plantar fasciitis or just a temporary thing on long
rides? i ask because i have a chronic pf problem and wonder if my
egg-beaters are contributing...(have new shoes with hard sole)

ps. i know i know, go and see the doctor...too bad more of them aren't
cyclists!

Try moving your cleat(s) rearward on the shoe(s). Lessens the strain on
ligaments a bit.

(Ever try a cortisone shot in your foot/feet? Knocked my pf out
completely.) (Hurts like HELL tho'!)

A larger-platform pedal (like Look) MAY help, but try other stuff first.

Rearrange answers in coherent order,

--
BS (no, really)

Old November 27th 04, 03:26 PM
Pat

:
: ps. i know i know, go and see the doctor...too bad more of them aren't
: cyclists!
: -alan

As I understand it, "hotfoot" is a condition resulting from pinching some
nerves in the ball of the foot or at the root of the toes. If your shoe
soles bend too much, or, in my case, the SPD pedals were too small, you get
this burning sensation in your forefoot and toes. I asked around (medical
types) and was told that orthotics, rigid shoe soles, or larger cleats would
prevent the problem by spreading the pressure on a larger area of the foot.
A orthotist advised me to put a pad under the arch right behind the toes to
spread the bones apart a bit when pushing down on the pedals.

When you have the condition, it feels as if your feet are on fire. That's a
classic symptom of a nerve being irritated. I switched to better shoes with
stiffer soles AND the Look cleats at the same time and haven't had the
problem since then. Upon reflection, though, I don't know if just changing
to a better shoe would have solved the problem.

Pat in TX
:
:

Old November 27th 04, 06:00 PM
Peter Cole

"Pat" wrote

As I understand it, "hotfoot" is a condition resulting from pinching some
nerves in the ball of the foot or at the root of the toes. If your shoe
soles bend too much, or, in my case, the SPD pedals were too small, you

get
this burning sensation in your forefoot and toes. I asked around

(medical
types) and was told that orthotics, rigid shoe soles, or larger cleats

would
prevent the problem by spreading the pressure on a larger area of the

foot.
A orthotist advised me to put a pad under the arch right behind the toes

spread the bones apart a bit when pushing down on the pedals.

I never understood the "cleat is too small" or "sole is to flexy" argument,
because that would cause a bulge under the ball of your foot, which is
essentially what they sell you to fix the problem.

Old November 28th 04, 01:09 AM
Alan Acock

I never understood the "cleat is too small" or "sole is to flexy"
argument, because that would cause a bulge under the ball of your
foot, which is essentially what they sell you to fix the problem.

A bigger cleat and more rigid sole prevents the pressure from being focused
on the ball of your foot. By distributing the presssure, the rigid sole/big
cleat mitigates the pressure from the "bulge.'

Alan Acock

Old November 28th 04, 03:25 AM
Pat

: I never understood the "cleat is too small" or "sole is to flexy"
: argument, because that would cause a bulge under the ball of your
: foot, which is essentially what they sell you to fix the problem.
:
: A bigger cleat and more rigid sole prevents the pressure from being
focused
: on the ball of your foot. By distributing the presssure, the rigid
sole/big
: cleat mitigates the pressure from the "bulge.'
:
: Alan Acock

Yeah, what Alan said. The small cleat with the sole that sort of wraps
around the cleat makes for a lot of pressure in a small area.

Pat in TX
:

Old November 28th 04, 02:52 PM
Peter Cole

"Pat" wrote in message

: I never understood the "cleat is too small" or "sole is to flexy"
: argument, because that would cause a bulge under the ball of your
: foot, which is essentially what they sell you to fix the problem.
:
: A bigger cleat and more rigid sole prevents the pressure from being
focused
: on the ball of your foot. By distributing the presssure, the rigid
sole/big
: cleat mitigates the pressure from the "bulge.'
:
: Alan Acock

Yeah, what Alan said. The small cleat with the sole that sort of wraps
around the cleat makes for a lot of pressure in a small area.

That wasn't my question. I understand the "theory" perfectly. As a previous
poster said though, what you get as a "fix" for things like Morton's
neuroma is a pad that creates a bulge right where your cleat is, just the
thing that is supposedly causing the problem. I think most cases of "hot
foot" are simply shoes that are too tight.

Old November 28th 04, 03:18 PM
Pat

:
: Yeah, what Alan said. The small cleat with the sole that sort of wraps
: around the cleat makes for a lot of pressure in a small area.
:
: That wasn't my question. I understand the "theory" perfectly. As a
previous
: poster said though, what you get as a "fix" for things like Morton's
: neuroma is a pad that creates a bulge right where your cleat is, just the
: thing that is supposedly causing the problem. I think most cases of "hot
: foot" are simply shoes that are too tight.

The orthotist explained it to me as the pad spreads the bones apart a bit
and the extra space relieves pressure on the nerves. As for the too tight
shoes, my experience does not bear this out. I have used 3 different pairs
of shoes now and the best ones are simply the ones with the stiffest soles.

Pat in TX
:
:

Old November 28th 04, 03:26 PM
Peter Cole

"Pat" wrote in message

:
: Yeah, what Alan said. The small cleat with the sole that sort of

wraps
: around the cleat makes for a lot of pressure in a small area.
:
: That wasn't my question. I understand the "theory" perfectly. As a
previous
: poster said though, what you get as a "fix" for things like Morton's
: neuroma is a pad that creates a bulge right where your cleat is, just

the
: thing that is supposedly causing the problem. I think most cases of

"hot
: foot" are simply shoes that are too tight.

The orthotist explained it to me as the pad spreads the bones apart a bit
and the extra space relieves pressure on the nerves.

Yes, hence my question: why doesn't the cleat "bulge" do the same thing?