Female in need of bike advice

Old November 29th 04, 10:03 PM
pam_in_sc

MissLivvy wrote:
Hi,
I would like to get an entry level road bike. I test drove a few today in
the size range of 51-52. I am almost 5'7". I have long legs and arms but I
am short-waisted in proportion. One of the bikes I rode looked like a
woman's frame and it felt like I was doing most of the work in my lower legs
(below the knee). The other bikes looked like a men's frame and it felt more
like my entire leg was doing the work. I don't know if that's because the
"women's" bike had a lower center of gravity or what. Until I started
looking at this newsgroup today, I did not even know there was such a thing
as a "WSD" an I'm disappointed that the 2 different salesmen I spoke with
did not even mention this. At any rate, if someone could give me some
tips/advice on choosing a bike I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking of spending
$500-$1000 but could pay more if there was a good reason.
TIA

I was told that at 5 ft. 6 in. I was tall enough to not need a WSD. But
then the bike store I went to didn't sell them, so they may be biassed.
Anyway, I'm happy with the Orbea Aspin I bought--about $1200 with
Campy components. I got an adjustable stem and that has worked well for
me to be able to adjust the fit more. I bought more bike than I needed
and it has inspired me to take my riding more seriously.

Pam

Old November 30th 04, 12:59 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

I was told that at 5 ft. 6 in. I was tall enough to not need a WSD.

I would argue that the opposite it true; the real benefits of a "WSD" are
more obvious in the larger sizes, because there's more "room" to shorten the
top tube. On a smaller frame size, minimum top tube length is, to some
extent, determined by the need to keep from having excessive overlap between
the foot and front wheel. On larger frame sizes this isn't such an issue, so
"mens" top tube lengths tend to be even more disproportionate for women than
on smaller sizes. Plus, purely anecdotal evidence would make it seem that
women's legs get longer, relative to torso length, at an increasing rate as
they get taller. Rarely do you see a 5'9" (or taller) woman with
relatively-short legs, or so it seems.

The only way somebody would be "tall enough" to not need a WSD would be if
they had long-enough torso & arm measurements. It has nothing to do with
overall height. Could be that that's what your shop meant- that you have no
trouble with fitting a particular bike because your upper body is long
enough.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Old November 30th 04, 04:49 AM
Steven M. Scharf

pam_in_sc wrote:

I was told that at 5 ft. 6 in. I was tall enough to not need a WSD.

But then the bike store I went to didn't sell them, so they may be
biassed. Anyway, I'm happy with the Orbea Aspin I bought--about $1200
with Campy components. I got an adjustable stem and that has worked
well for me to be able to adjust the fit more. I bought more bike than
I needed and it has inspired me to take my riding more seriously.

It's not just height, it's different body proportions, i.e. women often
have longer legs and a shorter torso. They may need a shorter reach,
while at the same time needing a longer distance to the pedals. You can
do some adjustments by changing the stem, changing the stem height (on
threaded headsets), and maybe changing the cranks to longer cranks, but
this shouldn't be excessive.

The Aspin is an excellent bicycle, especially the frame. But it comes
with a threadless headset, how did you manage to get the adjustable stem?

Orbea is not well known in the U.S., and the Aspin is apparently
discontinued.

The original poster might also take a look at the Bianchi Brava. It's a
chromolloy steel framed bicycle, adjustable headset, and it does come in
smaller sizes for women, but I don't think she'll need those sizes.

Also, while I'm not sure if it's sold in the U.S. yet, the SpeedLifter
compensates for the problem of threadless headsets. But by the time you
order from Germany, pay shipping and account for the Republicans, you're
going to be at $100.

Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
2nd-hand track bike - advice needed hippy Australia 66 September 16th 03 04:05 AM
Need advice about a used bike! Adam Mountain Biking 1 August 14th 03 12:12 AM