Helped fellow cyclist with loose crank.

Old August 20th 05, 07:23 PM

Default Helped fellow cyclist with loose crank.

Dear rbm:
Hi! While walking back from the post office to where I'd parked my
bike, I came across a cyclist, dismounted, fiddling with the bottom
bracket area of his bike. Turns out his crank was loose. Handed over my
handy multitool (he had a little trouble understanding what I meant by
"8 mm hex wrench" even though I did fold it out for him) and the bolt
tightened up just fine. Now comes the punchline -- said cyclist was
riding a brand-spanking-new-looking Treck 7200 FX complete with a
sticker from the local Trek store on the down tube! How often do the
cranks get loose on a new bike from a bike shop? How often do they go
lose on a new bike from a mass merchandiser? Why didn't I have the
presence of mind to tell him to take it back to the shop, tell them
what happened and see if they'll redo the assembly? I mean, geez, if
he's a new cyclist, why didn't I think he might have the expectation
this sort of thing happens all the time?
Robert Leone

Trying to find 165mm MTB crank BarryNL Techniques 7 May 26th 05 01:41 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Splined hub and crank maintainence gerblefranklin Unicycling 14 April 16th 04 12:32 AM
Adjustable crank idea onewheeldave Unicycling 93 February 13th 04 10:34 PM