Bicycling & health benefits of?

Old October 22nd 17, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On 2017-10-20 17:57, John B. wrote:

[...]

Of course, if you are really worried you could attach floats.
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb6ZeiWkxRM

Also works with bicycles and there are indeed two areas where I
could use that for a shortcut and currently to get around a rock
slide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlurwAD1nro

However, I need my blue water cooler bodies for brewing and filled
in a Koelsch (Germans style beer) and a Pale Ale for secondary
fermentation yesterday.

I drink Belgian dark ale which I understand has to be aged for a year
or so. So I'm not about to make that.

My favorite beer is Belgian Tripel so I brew that regularly. It does
need longer, four weeks in secondary fermentation versus the usual two
weeks. But so worth it.

Considering all the work it consumes a lot of time. However, once you
have a home brew you really don't want store-bought beer anymore no
matter how expensive it was. Except maybe for some of the
bottle-carbonated Belgian beers in the big bottles. Best of all, some
homebrew beers such as IPA travel well even on gnarly singletrack. So I
occasionally carry 16oz along.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 22nd 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-20 18:04, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:44:37 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-20 08:31,
wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 12:23:57 AM UTC-7, John B.
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:06:57 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per John B.:

As I told Joerg, just wash your feet :-)

I don't buy it when it comes to carpets.

Bare floors, maybe... but feet will still be damp after
"Washing" and that will affect the carpet over time.

Quotes because I strongly suspect "Washing" = "Quick
rinse with clear room-temperature water".

Well, if you have polished mahogany floors, or terrazzo,
floors in your abode and you wash your feet before you
enter you won't have problems with your carpet.

Carpets also add to the servants work load with all that
vacuuming and frequent visits by the carpet cleaning
company. They will applaud you when you get rid of them.

I have come to the conclusion that hardwood floors with area
rugs are much better than wall to wall carpets. These wall to
wall crap accumulators are nothing but trouble and for no
added comfort.

That perception will change when our bodies start giving out
and we need canes or walkers. Or when Fido and Fluffy duke it
out and the area rugs go sailing for the impteenth time.

Well, I'm 85 (this month) and my wife is 72 and so far we haven't
had any problems... terrazzo floors on the ground floor and
polished mahogany on the second.

No canes or walkers yet...

There is the difference. You guys are still quite healthy and in
your case probably in part due to cycling. We visit nursing homes a
lot as volunteers but it's the same at church and other places.
Falls of frail people mostly take places where there is no carpet.
Outside on the concrete, inside on tile, on marble and on linoleum.
Because all that stuff provides low friction and thus almost no
grip once a situation gets just a tad out of balance.

When you take a look at an indoor walker they are usually the
kinds without brake levers. Two wheels and small gliders in back.
Most people stick tennis balls over the back posts to improve
friction but those do not provided any meaningful friction on slick
surfaces. Area rugs are the worst floor covering for those folks.
One slight tangle into the edge of a rug and there might be a nasty
fall.

I'll have to think about that. I have virtually no balance.
Especially when the medication kicks in.

But under normal circumstances I am losing my balance in the house
all the time. I have wall-to-wall carpeting because the damn things
are always dirty and in need of commercial cleaning. I solved this
before by putting area rugs over the top of them but after my ex-wife
decided she was better off with than without me she also decided that
she was running everything. Which was (confidentially) what caused
everything in the first place. Because running everything means doing
nothing.

I have the cabinets in the kitchens and the heavy bed frame in the
bedroom and know exactly where they are at all times and can catch
myself from falling by hooking a foot under these overhangs. I can't
feel my feet but I can feel when I stop tipping over.

One of the celebrities on Dancing with the Stars right now has a similar
issue, she can't feel her legs. I think it's important to have carpeting
then because if you do fall at least you won't hit your head onto hard
floor. Unless you wear your bike helmet in the house :-)

Old October 22nd 17, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I think that myself and my wife are still mobile because we keep
mobile.

I know that my grandfather worked all his life and was raising 3,000
chickens at a time when he retired and doing everything himself, he
probably walked a couple of miles a day just back and forth between
the house and the chicken houses right up until he was in his mid
80's.

My grandmother, on the other hand, was a typical housewife of that
era. Stay home, raise the kids, cooking and laundry and shopping on
Saturday with the family. I remember when I was little my grandmother
used to walk down town, probably one mile round trip but as time went
by she walked less and less until probably the last eight or ten years
of her life I don't believe she ever left the house.

My own belief is that had my grandmother walked down town several
times a week she would have been far better off in her last few years.

I believe in the benefit of moving as well. The best example in our
family was one of my great grandpas. Almost until he was 100 he walked
to my grandma's house every day, IIRC about 5mi through a valley. Foul
weather did not keep him from doing that. Just to have a cup of coffee,
one shot glass of 80-proof stuff and sometimes ... gasp ... a big
stinking stogie. He made it almost to 103 in good health. Never saw a
doctor, he believed they were quacks and just wanted your money.

Old October 22nd 17, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tamale pie tamale pie oh please another tamale pie n a cold molsons ....

Old October 22nd 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/21/2017 4:48 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 3:41:52 AM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/20/2017 9:30 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 3:02:37 AM UTC+1, Doug Landau wrote:
I don't remember Dr White, but I remember Jim Fixx, the prophet of jogging. I went off him when I discovered that his idea of a gourmet meal was a hamburger. He died at 52 while out jogging. Not exactly a recommendation.

What age did his dad reach?

Sorry, I thought it was well known. His dad also died of a heart attack. Right around the same age IIRC.

That proves that genetics are better forecasters than tree rings and tea leaves.

But now I'm wondering if his jogging didn't aggravate his genetic predisposition.

Andre Jute
The genes will get you

We can't know but only half his genome is paternal. Then
there are epigenic effects plus diet, environment, behavior
and biota.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

It's a long time since I studied classical Greek, but if "epigenic" (which my spellchecker wants to correct to "epigenetic") means effects superior to ("over") the genome, surely the very word is a contradiction in terms. I thought DNA was the master roll so to speak, none higher, none superior, none able to countermand the fate it decrees.

Andre Jute
Cursed with curiosity in a wikipedia age

Yes, epigenetic thanks.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...netics/memory/

Old October 22nd 17, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Remember my postings of an NYT Arizona/NM tour ? Super weather. Check Weathrrunderground for averages...very low density traffic weekdays areas almost nonexistant. Mtb on border.

I'm at Organ Pipe NM basking in the sun in a Wal flooding chair for a week alone on abt 5000 acres surrounded by a cactus garden...there a solar shower in a Santa Rosa quality room. Clean bright blue sky brilliant stars from here to Utah.

The Canadians arrive Thanksgiving.
Old October 22nd 17, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?q=ariz...obile&ie=UTF-8

My concrete pad n mesquite shade tree are over run by singing quail wrens woodpeckers n the conversational chihuahuan raven

See also nogales...miller wilderness..Coronado ... sierra vista
Old October 22nd 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The area I'm at is so clear of electro interference that calling Jute from beyond took abt 5 minutes
Old October 22nd 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Joerg:
Area rugs are
the worst floor covering for those folks. One slight tangle into the
edge of a rug and there might be a nasty fall.

Also, the friction between an area rug and a smooth floor is nil.

Catch a foot or something and the rug can slide right out from under
you... been there done that.
--
Pete Cresswell

Can air pollution negate the health benefits of cycling and walking? colwyn[_2_] UK 2 June 27th 16 06:25 PM
Cycling - health benefits Bod[_5_] UK 11 May 29th 16 05:06 PM
More evidence of the health benefits of cycling Señor Chris UK 1 February 26th 09 10:37 PM
Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling? Fazel Unicycling 42 January 11th 09 05:28 AM
Health benefits of riding. Bill Baka General 23 October 3rd 04 04:05 AM