Bicycling & health benefits of?

Old October 10th 17, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:33:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Are you guys old enough to remember Paul Dudley White, M.D., the eminent cardiologist and father of preventive cardiology through exercise? Really cool guy who served as Eisenhower's and LBJ's cardiologist. He believed in cycling, but he thought pushing a big gear was a better than spinning. Oh well, every guy is entitled to one mistake, right?

He also said "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an
unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and
psychology in the world."
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 10th 17, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:

Are you guys old enough to remember Paul Dudley White, M.D., the
eminent cardiologist and father of preventive cardiology through
exercise? Really cool guy who served as Eisenhower's and LBJ's
cardiologist. He believed in cycling, but he thought pushing a big
gear was a better than spinning. Oh well, every guy is entitled to
one mistake, right?

He also said "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an
unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and
psychology in the world." -- Cheers,

As a licensed psychologist, I've been telling this to people for years.
Get outside, get some fresh air and sunshine with some exercise and most
people will feel better- some better than they will from talking to me.
Even if the client has a bona fide depressive disorder (versus just
being disgruntled or overly stressed, which are normal parts of the
human experience) regular exercise will usually help at least some.
Your overall health will improve, your sleep will improve, your
waistline will improve, your bones wil improve, your muscles will
improve. And a walk is inexpensive.

Our grandmothers knew what they were about when they told us to get out
of the house, go play outside and don't come back until lunch time.
Old October 10th 17, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

Are you guys old enough to remember Paul Dudley White, M.D., the eminent cardiologist and father of preventive cardiology through exercise? Really cool guy who served as Eisenhower's and LBJ's cardiologist. He believed in cycling, but he thought pushing a big gear was a better than spinning. Oh well, every guy is entitled to one mistake, right?

He also said "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an
unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and
psychology in the world."

I absolutely believe that! There are times when I simply cannot ride for
a while. It definitely affects my mood in a bad way. Getting out for a
ride cures that problem marvelously.

I believe that I had mentioned that I just had cataracts removed from
both eyes and based on the recommendation of the "eye doctor" I had
one done and then when healed - a month later - had the other one
done.

The doctor was really emphatic about no exercise, no jumping around,
no lifting anything heavier then 5 kg., and as a result I simply sat
for two months.

It was noticeable that not only did I lose a lot of stamina but I also
found myself being disgruntled enough they I had to make a very
distinct effort not get upset with things, and people. :-)

Since I'm "back on my feet", and exercising, I find myself much more
calm about things.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 10th 17, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I find it strange that because exercise and fresh air make depressives feel better they avoid it.
Old October 10th 17, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I think that you and I had exactly the same procedures and exactly the same orders and exactly the same results. But I'm now a little over 3,000 miles and feeling a lot better.

I can even make fun of Frank without really meaning it.
Old October 14th 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 7:33:39 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Are you guys old enough to remember Paul Dudley White, M.D., the eminent cardiologist and father of preventive cardiology through exercise? Really cool guy who served as Eisenhower's and LBJ's cardiologist. He believed in cycling, but he thought pushing a big gear was a better than spinning. Oh well, every guy is entitled to one mistake, right?

Nope. Dr White got the big gear right too. Mashers rule!

Andre Jute
What happened to the bottom seven gears on my Rohloff?
Old October 14th 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 7:33:39 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Are you guys old enough to remember Paul Dudley White, M.D., the eminent cardiologist and father of preventive cardiology through exercise? Really cool guy who served as Eisenhower's and LBJ's cardiologist. He believed in cycling, but he thought pushing a big gear was a better than spinning. Oh well, every guy is entitled to one mistake, right?

I don't remember Dr White, but I remember Jim Fixx, the prophet of jogging. I went off him when I discovered that his idea of a gourmet meal was a hamburger. He died at 52 while out jogging. Not exactly a recommendation.

Andre Jute
Beware the fads: fashion can kill you
Old October 14th 17, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-02 08:43, wrote:
On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 1:41:14 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 1:03:32 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 10/1/2017 9:56 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
We hear a lot about bicycling having health benefits forthe one
doing the bicycling. Yet a lot of CASUAL bicyclists are not all
that healthy.

So, in order to gain NOTICEABLE health benefits from
bicycling:

1a. How long in time does each ride need to be? 1b. What
intensity does the bicyclist need to reach?

Well, there's this:
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/P....aspx#moderate

They say "at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity such as
cycling or brisk walking every week" or "75 minutes of vigorous
aerobic activity, such as running or a game of singles tennis
every week" plus strength exercises. Following links from that
page tells you that flat riding is "moderate," fast or hilly
riding is "vigorous."

So 10 to 20 minutes per day does it, depending how fast you are.

The last five words are key. It doesn't matter whether you go uphill or
not, what matters is how much your heart rate goes up and is kept there.
That can be achieved either by long climbs or by shifting up and
stepping on it. I prefer the latter.

At my last check-up at Kaiser the questionaire had check boxes for
vigorous activity per week. The highest one was 60-120mins. So I added a
120-240min box by hand and checked that ...

And I suspect most of us here would be considered fast, even
though most of us are probably slow by our "used to be"
standards.

"The older I get, the faster I was."

-- - Frank Krygowski

I wonder if they built the facilities that Joerg states are
mandatory to get non-bicyclists onto bicycles if those new
bicyclists would ride that hard for that long?

I've tried to get some people in my building interested in
bicycling; even to the point of offering them the use of one of my
spare bicycles. I got told that theweather was too hot, too cold,
too wet and so on. In other words those people had no intention of
riding a bicycle even though we have roads with bike lanes on them
or very quiet roads that go 2 miles to a 50 miles long rail-trail.

People who will ride a bicycle will ride; those who won't ride
won't ride. No matter how much bicycling infrastructure you build
for them they'll have some excuse to not ride.

But there is that small subset of people that if you have rails to
trails so that they feel relatively isolated from asshole drivers
WILL take up cycling and gradually grow in confidence. Especially
with the help of bike clubs.

There are a lot of those people, it is not a small sub-set. I'd venture
to say the majority of riders in our area. This is clearly evidenced by
the number of riders who cart their bikes to the bike path, unload and
then start their sports ride or mixed-mode commute.

Further evidence on a regular basis is when I ask neighbors "Want to
come along?" ... "You mean we have to use Green Valley Road? No! How
about we truck the bikes to Folsom?" ... to which I sometimes grudgingly
agree.

So yes, they do ride and they actually ride a lot. But not on roads.
When we ride together they are certainly no slowpokes either.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Can air pollution negate the health benefits of cycling and walking? colwyn[_2_] UK 2 June 27th 16 06:25 PM
Cycling - health benefits Bod[_5_] UK 11 May 29th 16 05:06 PM
More evidence of the health benefits of cycling Señor Chris UK 1 February 26th 09 10:37 PM
Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling? Fazel Unicycling 42 January 11th 09 05:28 AM
Health benefits of riding. Bill Baka General 23 October 3rd 04 04:05 AM