Pendix - Kit, Fit and Ride

Old May 10th 20, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Pendix - Kit, Fit and Ride

Ok, I survived.

I chose the Pendix 300 to go with my Harry vs Larry Bullit. This is
already an issue, more on that later. The Pendix
https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300 fits a motor to a
standard BSA 68 or 73mm bottom bracket. The motor goes on the left. It
has a torque sensor, 3 modes (Eco, Smart and Idiot).

The kit replaces your existing bottom bracket and cranks, so you keep
the pedals, but you need to check chain-ring compatibly, it's a
standard 4 bolt. You'll need a crank remover, bottom bracket socket, and
probably that little spanner for chain ring nuts.

Pendix reckon an hour, it took me closer to three, but there was some
****wittery. Loosen pedals. Strip the old BB out and replace. Swap
over the chain ring. Mount the rear speed sensor. Mount the drive. It
only goes in one orientation and be careful to route the speed and
torque sensor wiring through the unit correctly. Connect the speed and
torque sensor to the motor at this point. Mount the battery holder so
the main motor cable can reach it. Check the battery will fit[1].
Screw the motor adapter plate to the battery holder (2 self tappers).
At this point you should be done. Attach pedals.

You now need 3 hundred meters or so for calibration so get set up.
Switch the battery on (press button at top of battery) and ride. In
Smart mode it really adds a lot of power at the off at the expense of
battery life, I quickly switched to eco mode and just used the gears as
normal. The power feed in is gentle in eco, and gentle at the speed
limit cut off, it makes the bullit feel a bit lighter than a normal bike
but you really notice it. On the way back against the wind I switch it
off, no speedo, but I reckon 12-15kph tops unassisted. Assisted, a bit
of effort to get to the speed limiter.

The motor can have a strange kickback sometimes if you are under assist
and you stop and back pedal, but it's no big deal.

Worth it? Given the stupid prices in the market, marginal, but if the
150 kit is for you, I'd say this is worth it for an easy conversion to
an existing bike.

Looking forward to a big shop or BBQ at the top of a hill to really see
if it works, but I can afford it, so I am happy. It does what it says
on the tin.

[1] First point, the Pendix batteries get taller with capacity. The
usual bottle mount won't work on the bullit, I tie wrapped it to the
bottom member just forward of the BB. Chec a picture of the Bullitt
you'll see where I mmn. AFter market holders or rivnuts will probably
solve this if I am unhappy in the future.

My chain-ring/guards are also all handed and first fit I flipped them
necessitating removing them and refitting.
Old May 10th 20, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 4:54:55 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

Why did you put a motor on your bike? Are you getting too old to ride? Are you commuting a lot and want a motor because you want to get to work faster? Or are you trying to ride up hills faster than someone that doesn't have a motor?

For my part I don't understand why people have e-bikes. One of the guys I was riding with yesterday is 88 years old. He was complaining that our old farts 25 mile ride would leave him exhausted today. But he wouldn't want to change to an e-bike and would consider it cheating. But we are sport riders and not commuters.
Old May 10th 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/10/2020 7:54 AM, Tosspot wrote:

Pendix reckon an hour, it took me closer to three, but there was some
****wittery...

A minor point: To realistically estimate time to complete a job, I used
to take the best reasonable estimate and multiply by three.

Eventually I decided that wasn't very scientific. So now I multiply by pi.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 20, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/10/2020 10:24 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/10/2020 7:54 AM, Tosspot wrote:

Pendix reckon an hour, it took me closer to three, but there was some
****wittery...

A minor point: To realistically estimate time to complete a job, I used
to take the best reasonable estimate and multiply by three.

Eventually I decided that wasn't very scientific. So now I multiply by pi.

We must have had similar training. Mine went like this:

While I was in college I interned with some electrical engineers. They
explained that the former algorithm for time-requirement estimation was
the W.A.G. method, but further study showed that W.A.G. times three was
better.

Me: What's W.A.G.?
Them: Wild A$$ Guess.

Mark J.
Old May 10th 20, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Mark J. wrote:
On 5/10/2020 10:24 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/10/2020 7:54 AM, Tosspot wrote:

Pendix reckon an hour, it took me closer to three, but there was some
****wittery...

A minor point: To realistically estimate time to complete a job, I used
to take the best reasonable estimate and multiply by three.

Eventually I decided that wasn't very scientific. So now I multiply by pi.

We must have had similar training. Mine went like this:

While I was in college I interned with some electrical engineers. They
explained that the former algorithm for time-requirement estimation was
the W.A.G. method, but further study showed that W.A.G. times three was
better.

Me: What's W.A.G.?
Them: Wild A$$ Guess.

Mark J.

An old colleague of mine used this process. Think very hard about the
project, consider all things that could possibly go wrong and take your
best guess. Then double it. If the resulting number doesn’t scare you,
double it again.

Old May 10th 20, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/10/2020 4:54 AM, Tosspot wrote:
Ok, I survived.

I chose the Pendix 300 to go with my Harry vs Larry Bullit.Â* This is
already an issue, more on that later.Â* The Pendix
https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300 fits a motor to a
standard BSA 68 or 73mm bottom bracket.Â* The motor goes on the left.Â* It
has a torque sensor, 3 modes (Eco, Smart and Idiot).

It's the only retrofit kit I've seen that lets you keep your front
derailleur and chainrings (if they are the four-arm type). The kit I saw
from Korea, that apparently never made it to market, was the only other
similar one.

For a rather unique bike like the one you installed it on it's fine, but
now you can now buy a decent whole mid-drive e-bike for less than
US$1500. If they could sell the motor kit for $900-1000 or so they'd
sell a lot more of them.

BTW, the link for "installation requirements"
https://pendix.de/edrive/installation-requirements is not found.

Old May 12th 20, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

sms wrote:
On 5/10/2020 4:54 AM, Tosspot wrote:
Ok, I survived.

I chose the Pendix 300 to go with my Harry vs Larry Bullit.* This is
already an issue, more on that later.* The Pendix
https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300 fits a motor to a
standard BSA 68 or 73mm bottom bracket.* The motor goes on the left.* It
has a torque sensor, 3 modes (Eco, Smart and Idiot).

85% of the buyers only need one of the modes, then?

It's the only retrofit kit I've seen that lets you keep your front
derailleur and chainrings (if they are the four-arm type). The kit I saw
from Korea, that apparently never made it to market, was the only other
similar one.

BTW, the link for "installation requirements"
https://pendix.de/edrive/installation-requirements is not found.

One buyer was not too happy with the attitude displayed and service provided
by Pendix. (AJ should probably stay away from them.) I did not figure out
if the problems were exclusively caused Pendix, though. Anyone who
absolutely wants to find out can deepl this and wonder for himself:
http://rudi-radlos.de/pendix.html