A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

State your opinion on COVID-19

Old May 26th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Gravel bikes

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 8:54:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:59:48 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 4:34:21 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 22/5/20 2:04 pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 23:36:12 UTC-4, James wrote:

Most of the difference is in the steering. The angle of the head tube
and trail is different on a MTB.

I find riding a MTB no hands is challenging, and easy with on a road or
gravel bike.

YMMV

MTBs typically also have suspension forks and almost flat handlebars.
The former adds a heap of unnecessary weight and the latter encourages a
sit up and beg riding position, with little opportunity for change..

I have a number of old rigid frame, rigid front fork MTBs that I've converted to dropbar dirt/gravel roads and/or touring bikes. I like the 26" MTB size wheels because tires are so varied in possible choices. I can tires from 50+mm to 25.4mm online if not in the bicycle shop. Anything from slicks to aggressive knobs are available. In my honest opinion that's about the most versatile wheel size there is. Others, well, YMMV

Older MTBs are possibly better. I think the trend is a more lazy head
tube angle (further from vertical) these days, and that just makes the
on road steering suck.

Boost and cranks with wider tread are allowing double suspended bikes with shorter chain stays and a sportier feel. This is according to my mountain bike friend. Head angle is a different issue, but modern suspended MTBs are a different animal than the suspended bikes of yore. There are so many MTB choices these days, it's mind-boggling. My son riffs on all the offerings on the market and the shades of difference between models in the same line or the confluence of MTB lines.

-- Jay Beattie.

Choosing a MTB today is pretty complicated.

Lou

I think that the only complicated thing about the selection of an MTB is figuring out your budget. There really is only one MTB, a carbon fiber full suspension and the tire size is dependent upon your height. And only a fool would use any group other than a Shimano. SRAM is absolute garbage, the bearing surfaces so soft that they wear out in months. I heard this and didn't believe it and tried a GRX crankset only to discover that it's true.

Gravel bikes are more complicated since what you think of as a gravel bike could range anywhere from a flat bar rim brake to a drop bar disk. The one I have up for sale is a Redline with Di2, disk brakes and drop bar. I just don't ride gravel anymore. I've grown into a mileage freak. Though I can't say that I've put on much mileage because of the lock down and nowhere to stop so I end up with 20-35 miles rides with no stops.

Traffic has now returned to normal meaning that 5 times a ride I am now threatened by cars passing within inches of me for no reason whatsoever.
Ads