bigger dynamo bulb question

Old October 17th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default bigger dynamo bulb question

I have a shimano nexus dynamo hub and a bandm oval lamp.
If I put a 5w halogen bulb in it instead of the 2.4w will I get more
light if I go fast enough?
TerryJ

Old October 17th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a shimano nexus dynamo hub and a bandm oval lamp.
If I put a 5w halogen bulb in it instead of the 2.4w will I get more
light if I go fast enough?

No. You might get more from a 3W one, but any more and your dynamo won't
provide the required current. (assuming your 5W bulb is a 6volt one).

If you put a 12v 5W bulb in it might work (awaits correction) but it won't
light up until you're going at a reasonable speed. See the standard trick
with SONs and putting another front lamp in series.

cheers,
clive

Old October 17th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article .com
wrote:
I have a shimano nexus dynamo hub and a bandm oval lamp.
If I put a 5w halogen bulb in it instead of the 2.4w will I get more
light if I go fast enough?

Possibly not - the more powerful bulb you fit, the closer it is to
short-circuiting the generator, and a shorted generator won't provide
much light.
:-)
Old October 18th 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Clive George wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a shimano nexus dynamo hub and a bandm oval lamp.
If I put a 5w halogen bulb in it instead of the 2.4w will I get more
light if I go fast enough?

No. You might get more from a 3W one, but any more and your dynamo won't
provide the required current. (assuming your 5W bulb is a 6volt one).

If you put a 12v 5W bulb in it might work (awaits correction) but it won't
light up until you're going at a reasonable speed. See the standard trick
with SONs and putting another front lamp in series.

The lamp has a built in diode.
Would that have to be removed from the circuit to try this trick?

I get the idea about overheating and frying the mounting.
TerryJ

Old October 18th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

wrote in message
ups.com...

Clive George wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a shimano nexus dynamo hub and a bandm oval lamp.
If I put a 5w halogen bulb in it instead of the 2.4w will I get more
light if I go fast enough?

No. You might get more from a 3W one, but any more and your dynamo won't
provide the required current. (assuming your 5W bulb is a 6volt one).

If you put a 12v 5W bulb in it might work (awaits correction) but it
won't
light up until you're going at a reasonable speed. See the standard trick
with SONs and putting another front lamp in series.

The lamp has a built in diode.
Would that have to be removed from the circuit to try this trick?

Probably, yes. Personally I wouldn't do it.

cheers,
clive

How many Unicyclists does it take to screw in a light bulb? UniBrier Unicycling 65 March 14th 08 12:32 PM
Dynamo Question Tosspot UK 1 January 15th 06 05:12 PM
best bulb for dynamo front lamp w. DToplight rear? [email protected] UK 4 January 18th 05 05:04 PM
Best of the best LED bulb so far. Mike Beauchamp Techniques 10 December 24th 04 10:04 PM
Hub Dynamo Lights? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 September 23rd 03 12:16 AM