Last 10 minutes of WC 2009 in HD Video

Old September 28th 09, 09:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

Default Last 10 minutes of WC 2009 in HD Video

Here's a little treat for the people with a brain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICMVTT7rIc

Old September 28th 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Keith" wrote in message
news
Here's a little treat for the people with a brain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICMVTT7rIc

If there's one thing that the losers here really hate it's someone, they've
claimed as incompetent, doing well.

Old September 28th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Sep 28, 10:14*am, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
"Keith" wrote in message

Here's a little treat for the people with a brain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICMVTT7rIc

If there's one thing that the losers here really hate it's someone, they've
claimed as incompetent, doing well.

Hey, lighten up on the guy - Keith was bound to have a worthwhile post
eventually. Your time will come, too.

Old September 28th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Keith" wrote in message

Here's a little treat for the people with a brain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICMVTT7rIc

If there's one thing that the losers here really hate it's someone,
they've
claimed as incompetent, doing well.

Hey, lighten up on the guy - Keith was bound to have a worthwhile post
eventually. Your time will come, too.

Firstly that wasn't directed at Keith who at least posts about bicycle
racing. Secondly, it has become clear that this is no longer a discussion
group concerning bicycle racing. It is a way of inflating one's ego if Henry
is to be observed.

Old September 29th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

"Keith" wrote in message

Here's a little treat for the people with a brain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICMVTT7rIc

If there's one thing that the losers here really hate it's someone,
they've
claimed as incompetent, doing well.

Hey, lighten up on the guy - Keith was bound to have a worthwhile post
eventually. Your time will come, too.

Firstly that wasn't directed at Keith who at least posts about bicycle
racing. Secondly, it has become clear that this is no longer a discussion
group concerning bicycle racing. It is a way of inflating one's ego if Henry
is to be observed.

Hmm.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...08050c8ec5070b

Nope, no ego inflation there.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old September 29th 09, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message
m...
"Keith" wrote in message
news
Here's a little treat for the people with a brain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICMVTT7rIc

If there's one thing that the losers here really hate it's someone,
they've claimed as incompetent, doing well.

It doesn't change the fact that Cadel's "style" has consistently been
that of a follower, extraordinarily conservative riding, similar to the
infamous "prevent defense" in Football that never seems to work because
it leaves opportunities for someone smart & courageous. Now it could be
that that's best suited for the physical talent that Cadel brings to the
line, doing the best he can with the equipment he's got.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's any other way that last 10
minutes could have played out. Did Cadel read the situation correctly
and time a brilliant move, or did Fabian not recognize possible
alliances in time to make a difference? And what would those alliances
have been? I'm going to have to watch a couple more times to figure that
one out.

Sunday, Cadel earned his World Championship. But is that enough to get
rid of what many have perceived as incredibly boring racing, good
enough, until now, for first-loser status at best?

Time will tell. Let's see what happens at the Giro di Lombardia! At the
very least he should now have a team fired up to ride for him.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 29th 09, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG[_2_]

On Sep 28, 10:42*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

Sunday, Cadel earned his World Championship. But is that enough to get
rid of what many have perceived as incredibly boring racing, good
enough, until now, for first-loser status at best?

Dumbass -

I kinda doubt it.

The lead three formed because Cancellara and Valverde were cat-and-
mousing each other. How often is Evans going to end up in a group like
that by sheer good fortune with guys he can completely outclimb?

As you wrote earlier, he's not the type of racer who tries to make
things happen. Finally an opportunity fell into his lap.

Who knows? maybe he'll be a changed man, but this race wasn't a race
that he made. It was one where the other guys marked each other out of
it.

BTW, I don't begrudge Evans the WC. By marking each other out of the
race, Cancellara and Valverde sucked ass on the day.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Berry Floor.
Old September 29th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out if there's any other way that last 10
minutes could have played out. Did Cadel read the situation correctly
and time a brilliant move, or did Fabian not recognize possible
alliances in time to make a difference? And what would those alliances
have been? I'm going to have to watch a couple more times to figure that
one out.

I figure it this way: two guys who know each other as proven race
winners in single-day events, non-chokers, are off with another guy
who always blows up and never seems to deliver the goods. The choker
launches an attack - what do you do? You look at each other and wait
for the other guy to go, because you know you can beat the guy who
just went up the road, and you know if you waste energy right now,
you'll play into the hands of the other guy. Even with nearly 3 km to
go, he's not that far ahead, you can get him, once you're over the
top. You keep playing cat-and-mouse. Next thing you know, the gap goes
to 30 seconds - whoops.

Evans did the logical thing, he used his strengths because he knew if
it came down to the three of them still together in the last km, he
was doomed. He looked like he was raging and once he opened a
signficant gap, even a concerted effort by Cancellara and Valverde may
not have been enough. Great riding by Evans, he did exactly what he
should have done and it paid off.

Brad Anders
Old September 30th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sep 29, 11:04*am, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
I figure it this way: two guys who know each other as proven race
winners in single-day events, non-chokers, are off with another guy
who always blows up and never seems to deliver the goods. The choker
launches an attack - what do you do? You look at each other and wait
for the other guy to go, because you know you can beat the guy who
just went up the road, and you know if you waste energy right now,
you'll play into the hands of the other guy.

Or they were just too tired at that point. The initial move of the 3
seemed like one of those moves where you (not being in it) curse after
the race: "how could we let them just roll off like that? I wanted to
work but no one would help ... whine whine whine ..."

It seemed Evans was just following wheels ... the initial attack
didn't appear to be all that vicious. And the others let the gap open
at which point they all started looking around.

Not sure even how Evans separated himself ultimately. I don't think
they really showed that. First thing you see is Evans looking back,
then really putting the hammer down when he recognizes they aren't
reacting. Which might have been simply b/c the other 2 didn't have
much left in the tank at that point. Evans had been sitting on for a
while, so I'd guess he had played it pretty smart.
Old September 30th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

" wrote in message
[...]

I wonder if it occurs to anyone that there are a half dozen riders capable
of riding about the same speed and that they have to ride that fast in order
to stay away from the pack. And because they're riding right on the edge of
the red-zone it is coming down to very slight differences in endurance now.

What this would appear to be signaling is that from now on races will become
closer and closer.

Though I imagine that another Eddy Merckx could appear who can ride a couple
of percent above everyone else and that would look like a HUGE performance
increase.