went shopping yesterday

Old July 13th 05, 05:05 AM
Kim

Default went shopping yesterday

evenen all,

went shopping yesterday, lotsa new things, including a pair of diadora
shoes and some VP-133 pedals =) SPD type numbers =D

i've been walking around in the shoes all day and they're quite cumfy.
now i'm just about to fit the pedals to the bike...

i expect that once they're on i won't be able to not go out for a ride,
but its really wet and slippery this mornen =/

any tips and tricks i should know?

cheers,

kim
Old July 13th 05, 05:32 AM
BrettS

Kim wrote:

evenen all,

went shopping yesterday, lotsa new things, including a pair of diadora
shoes and some VP-133 pedals =) SPD type numbers =D

i've been walking around in the shoes all day and they're quite cumfy.
now i'm just about to fit the pedals to the bike...

i expect that once they're on i won't be able to not go out for a ride,
but its really wet and slippery this mornen =/

any tips and tricks i should know?

If you've never used clipless pedals before, make sure you:
a) Practise unclipping while leaning up against something before you
ride anywhere
b) don't get freaked out by the loose feeling you get from having pedal
float
c) Unclip before you stop
d) Make sure when you stop that you lean towards the unclipped foot...
e) When you *DO* topple over at 0km/h consider yourself part of the
family...

Have fun.

--
BrettS
Old July 13th 05, 05:52 AM
TimC

On 2005-07-13, BrettS (aka Bruce)
Kim wrote:
went shopping yesterday, lotsa new things, including a pair of diadora
shoes and some VP-133 pedals =) SPD type numbers =D

i've been walking around in the shoes all day and they're quite cumfy.
now i'm just about to fit the pedals to the bike...

i expect that once they're on i won't be able to not go out for a ride,
but its really wet and slippery this mornen =/

any tips and tricks i should know?

If you've never used clipless pedals before, make sure you:

f) don't walk on the wet roads. Especially don't make a dash across
the road when traffic is coming. Woopsie!

--
TimC
Quantum Mechanics is a lovely introduction to Hilbert Spaces! --unknown
Old July 13th 05, 06:24 AM
Euan

"KimF" == Kim writes:

KimF evenen all, went shopping yesterday, lotsa new things,
KimF including a pair of diadora shoes and some VP-133 pedals =)
KimF SPD type numbers =D

Nice. I've got straight SPDs, not sure what sort, which can be annoying
when all I want to do is ride down the shops. If you don't mind I'd
like to hear how you go without the cleats.

KimF any tips and tricks i should know?

I've found that Sheldon's mounting technique helps a lot:

http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

With the addition of this bit. Don't try to clip in the other shoe
until you've got your bottom well and truly planted in the saddle. This
is important becaue it gives your body a reference point of where
everything should be. With practice you'll clip in on the first
rotation 95% of the time.

Bearing above in mind, find somewhere relatively free of traffic and
practice practice practice till you can clip in from take off virtually
every time. That should also give you enough practice unclipping, which
is just as important :-)

If you wear your cleats all the time (I wear mine about 70% of the
time), get used to friends, colleagues and associates looking at you
strangely and asking if you ride a bike.

Resign yourself to the knowledge that cleat on concrete is an awful
sound that you're just going to have to put up with.

Resist the urge to do a tap dance in tiled buildings just because you
can.

Don't get cocky. I was riding in to work after a year of incident free
clipless pedalling. Rolled to a stop at the traffic lights. Fell
over. Completely forgot about the whole putting your foot down thing.

Nothing bruised except ego as all and sundry guffawed around me. I can
live with that :-)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old July 13th 05, 06:33 AM
Graeme

Euan wrote in :

If you wear your cleats all the time (I wear mine about 70% of the
time), get used to friends, colleagues and associates looking at you
strangely

Are you sure that it's not the high heels that the cleats are connected to
that are getting the looks?

Graeme
Old July 13th 05, 06:37 AM
Marx SS

first timer?
Maybe don't have the tention up to much on them. They're new so they'l
be *******s to get out of in a hurry I find. (Even now after 5yrs o
SPDs I still bungle the exit out of newly replaced SPD cleats)

--
Marx SS

Old July 13th 05, 06:42 AM
LotteBum

Kim wrote

went shopping yesterday, lotsa new things, including a pair of diador
shoes and some VP-133 pedals =) SPD type numbers =

*dribble

i've been walking around in the shoes all day and they're quite cumfy
now i'm just about to fit the pedals to the bike..

Woohoo. Congratulations on taking the big step Kim

any tips and tricks i should know

Practise, practise, practise. It's really not that hard once you ge
the hang of it, but you *can* get into trouble... have fun with it.
You are now officially FAST!!

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

Old July 13th 05, 06:53 AM
Euan

"Graeme" == graeme writes:

Graeme Euan wrote in
Graeme :
If you wear your cleats all the time (I wear mine about 70% of
the time), get used to friends, colleagues and associates looking
at you strangely

Graeme Are you sure that it's not the high heels that the cleats
Graeme are connected to that are getting the looks?

Probably more the fishnet stockings over unshaven legs...
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old July 13th 05, 02:48 PM
Tamyka Bell

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Graeme wrote:

Euan wrote in :

If you wear your cleats all the time (I wear mine about 70% of the
time), get used to friends, colleagues and associates looking at you
strangely

Are you sure that it's not the high heels that the cleats are connected to
that are getting the looks?

Graeme

Ah, crap.

Tam *removing ugg boots with cleats*
Old July 13th 05, 04:21 PM
Kim

LotteBum wrote:
Kim wrote:
went shopping yesterday, lotsa new things, including a pair of diadora
shoes and some VP-133 pedals =) SPD type numbers =D

*dribble*

i've been heading in this direction for some time =) been saving ...
next is replacement BB

i've been walking around in the shoes all day and they're quite cumfy.
now i'm just about to fit the pedals to the bike...

Woohoo. Congratulations on taking the big step Kim!

i decided to go clipless (strapless) as the pedal i had were driving me
nuts. the running shoes i had were chewed up by the previous pedals and
the boots i wear to work don't fit in the straps (hitting end of life
anyways)... so to kill multiple birds with one stone =)
can't find a link to them on the web anywheres, but they are a mountain
bike shoe with decent lace ups and a wide velcro strap over =D very
happy wearing them so far.

any tips and tricks i should know?

Practise, practise, practise.

=) i've spent about 30 minutes clipping and unclipping in between
ad-breaks watching the TdF tonight =D ankles hurt a bit =/

It's really not that hard once you get
the hang of it, but you *can* get into trouble... have fun with it.

not had the chance to get on the road yet, been too wet =(

You are now officially FAST!!!

heh ... now i know you're kidding =)

next week back to work will be the real test tho.

cheers,

kim

Long ride yesterday Servojohn Recumbent Biking 11 September 14th 05 05:02 PM
Thunderstorms yesterday Oaf UK 13 September 2nd 05 09:02 AM
RR: Yesterday Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 34 January 14th 05 06:22 PM
I'm Off Christmas Shopping Not Responding UK 6 December 22nd 04 12:22 AM
Hit by taxi yesterday Andrew Reddaway Australia 13 October 4th 04 12:27 PM