RR: Tax Free Shopping

Old December 24th 05, 03:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default RR: Tax Free Shopping

[Inline version he http://tinyurl.com/cjtgh]

I was lucky to have off today and I needed to buy one more gift (a
digital camera) for my parents. So I though, why not get a ride in too.
Two birds with one stone - a great ride and tax free shopping. So
with the singlespeed loaded I head down to Middle Run in Delaware. I
have never ridden this park alone, but I figured I've done it enough to
know where I am.

I start with the always fast Judge Morris trails. Trails were still
frozen which added to the super flow of the area.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3187

I did make one wrong turn and had to back track a bit, but it just adds
to the mileage anyway. I've never really had any difficulty with this
section and today was no different. Coming around every corner and into
a climb with speed. It's nice to hardly peddle the singlespeed up the
hill. The water bars were awesome today and popping the Niner up on
them was a blast!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3192

Into the corn fields for some more downhill with some nice jumps thrown
in. The sun was now getting warm, but this part was still frozen and
fast. I knew it wouldn't last though. Temps were expected to hit 50F
today and the mucky mess was sure to happen. So I moved even faster to
get as much riding as I could in. Of course, I had to stop and take
some pictures. The sky was so clear and the sun was highlighting the
cornstalks just right.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3197

Across the street and into White Clay things didn't fare as well. The
sun had already starting to bake the loam. It's not a long section of
field and I new the woods would still be frozen so I braved the muck.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3199

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3200

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3204

Do I take the Lenape Loop to the right or left? I go right towards the
church and end up crashing hard on this downhill covered in ice!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3207

This is not a good sign. It's a fun downhill, but not sliding on your
ass half way down it. I turn around and head up. Now my ride will be
mostly uphill. No big deal and at least the ice will not be a major
factor. Even so, I still have to contend with some ice on the downhills
now and then. Just take it slow, don't make sudden turns, and NEVER hit
the brakes.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3209

Now I come to the shortcut, but it looks very cold, so I continue
heading up Lenape.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3210

I still have to make a creek crossing but at least there are concrete
stumps to hop across on. On the other side, the climb continues dry and
ice free.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3212

Things flatten out a bit now and I am back with some speed. My head is
pounding from the climbs and need the break of a good downhill. It's a
short break that leads me to the bird sanctuary parking lot where I meet
up with some Delaware Trail Spinners getting ready to head out. I'm
invited to join, but I've already been out two hours and I still have to
go shopping, so I point down the Lenape trail and take another nasty
spill on a 1/4 mile stretch of ice.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/stories/122305/3215

It's not enough for studded tires but they sure would have helped. I
cross the creek on slippery rocks and climb the church hill back to the
car. A nice short ride, but fun none-the-less.

Elevation Profile: http://www.schnauzers.ws/mrprofile.jpg
Satalite Image: http://www.schnauzers.ws/mrsat.jpg

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o