disc brake drag hayes circa 2003

Old April 8th 12, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
maceo

Default disc brake drag hayes circa 2003

Have older trek fuel circa 2003 w/hayes disc, which I believe to be
hfx mag or hfx 9 but wouldn't bet my life on it. These brakes (front
and rear) have always had a little drag on them, which I don't believe
is normal and which I would like to fix instead of changing them out
to v-brakes or something else. I believe the pistons are all the way
into their cylinders; I can't push them back any further. I don't see
any wobble in the rotors. It's as though there's not enough clearance
between the pads and the rotors. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
Old April 8th 12, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

maceo wrote:

Have older trek fuel circa 2003 w/hayes disc, which I believe to be
hfx mag or hfx 9 *but wouldn't bet my life on it. *These brakes (front
and rear) have always had a little drag on them, which I don't believe
is normal and which I would like to fix instead of changing them out
to v-brakes or something else. I believe the pistons are all the way
into their cylinders; I can't push them back any further. *I don't see
any wobble in the rotors. It's as though there's not enough clearance
between the pads and the rotors. *Looking for suggestions. *Thanks.

Pull out the little bleeder plug things from the levers, then push the
pistons back again. Be prepared to clean up the brake fluid that
dribbles out, or better yet attach a catch bottle to the fitting
before you push back the pads.

I gotta say-- hydraulic brakes on a bicycle are dumb, but hydraulic
brakes on a bike that use glycol fluid are stupendously dumb. If you
can't fix the brake rub, see this as an opportunity to fix the problem
that Trek gave you, and refit the bike with Avid BB7 brakes.
Old April 8th 12, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 8, 7:22*am, Chalo wrote:
maceo wrote:

[...]

Shimano is developing hydraulic road disc brakes.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...or-2013-32091/
Be jealous.

-- Jay Beattie
Old April 8th 12, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

maceo wrote:
Have older trek fuel circa 2003 w/hayes disc, which I believe to be
hfx mag or hfx 9 but wouldn't bet my life on it. These brakes (front
and rear) have always had a little drag on them, which I don't believe
is normal and which I would like to fix instead of changing them out
to v-brakes or something else. I believe the pistons are all the way
into their cylinders; I can't push them back any further. I don't see
any wobble in the rotors. It's as though there's not enough clearance
between the pads and the rotors. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

More likely a setup/alignment issue.

See any competent LBS which is experienced in disc brake
service.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 9th 12, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Apr 8, 7:22 am, wrote:
maceo wrote:

[...]

The race continues toward ever diminishing returns!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 9th 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Apr 8, 12:57*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Apr 8, 7:22*am, Chalo wrote:

maceo wrote:

[...]

Shimano is developing *hydraulic road disc brakes.http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...di2-11-speed-a...
Be jealous.

-- Jay Beattie

Sounds like there are going to be another number of orphan parts and/
or components if SHimano releases everything on that page.

Whatever happened to the KISS principle?

Cheers
Old April 9th 12, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
maceo

On Apr 8, 7:22*am, Chalo wrote:

maceo wrote:

[...]

Jay's first suggestion has worked but I will certainly consider
acting on his alternate.
Old April 9th 12, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
maceo

On Apr 8, 7:22*am, Chalo wrote:

maceo wrote:

[...]

Appologies to both Jay and Chalo. It was Chalo's solution that
worked. Thanks all.
Old April 10th 12, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Phil W Lee wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Whatever happened to the KISS principle?

They couldn't sell it.

http://ticketsthere.files.wordpress....tour_loch1.jpg
Old April 10th 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Chalo wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Whatever happened to the KISS principle?

They couldn't sell it.

http://ticketsthere.files.wordpress....tour_loch1.jpg

Shimano's 2013 cycling outfit prototypes?

--
- Frank Krygowski