Newbie questions

Old August 26th 03, 08:37 PM
Adam Bender

Default Newbie questions

Hi, this is my first post to the group. I've just started riding a lot
again. I rode for fitness in high school, then stopped when I moved into
a dorm in college. Now I live off of campus, so use a bike to commute,
and I'm also near trails, so I hit those when I get a chance. Anyways,
here are some questions I've accumulated:

I have a Masterlock bike lock, with a cylindrical notched bolt that fits
into the locking clasp. I noticed that recently when I tried to lock it,
the bolt would fit in but then easily pull out. I fiddled with it and
rotated the bolt in the lock, and that seemed to fix it - now I can't pull
it out at all while it's locked. Is this a common problem with these
locks? Anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

How do you jump over logs?

I've noticed that on my commute I used to pretty much use 2nd gear for
uphill and 3rd for flat, now I use 3rd for uphill and 4th for flat. Is
this some indicator of progress of some sort?

How am I supposed to carry a bike lock, water bottle, air pump, tool kit,
spare tire, etc., all on my bike?

Like I said I mostly ride trails, with a short (2 mi) daily commute, and
occaisonal longer road rides (10 mi). I've been looking at getting an
Ibex Ignition 2, would people reccomend this bike for the riding I'm
doing? Is there something else I should consider? I'm still riding my
childhood bike, which is at least 8 years old, but still functional.
If I do get a new bike, is it reccomended to keep my old one around for
rainy days and such?

Thanks in advance,

Adam
Old August 26th 03, 11:16 PM
Paul Bielec

I have a bag that attaches under my saddle. It has almost 2 l vloume and I'm
able to fit in a ParkTool, tire levers, patches, glue, spare tube, my cell
phone, 2 oatmeal bars, my car keys, ID, credit card and some money when
going on MTB trail or bike path. My mini pump attaches on my frame and I
have 2 water bottle racks. My jersey has 3 pockets so I can put my
sunglasses in one of them when I take them off when it is too dark in the
woods. I'd do anything to be able to avoid a backpack.

Old August 27th 03, 02:57 AM
Bernie

Paul Bielec wrote:

I have a bag that attaches under my saddle. It has almost 2 l vloume and I'm
able to fit in a ParkTool, tire levers, patches, glue, spare tube, my cell
phone, 2 oatmeal bars, my car keys, ID, credit card and some money when
going on MTB trail or bike path. My mini pump attaches on my frame and I
have 2 water bottle racks. My jersey has 3 pockets so I can put my
sunglasses in one of them when I take them off when it is too dark in the
woods. I'd do anything to be able to avoid a backpack.

Great answer!
My Topeak pump attaches to my waterbottle mount, tube n mutitool and cash fit in
my tiny under seat tool bag, windbreaker and extra junk fit in a biggish MEC hip
bag if I choose to take it. (I CAN wear a backpack, IF I feel like it :-) )
If you want to do it, it's usually doable.
Best regards, Bernie

Old August 28th 03, 07:29 AM
Donny Harder Jr.

In article
,
Adam Bender wrote:

I have a Masterlock bike lock, with a cylindrical notched bolt that fits
into the locking clasp. I noticed that recently when I tried to lock it,
the bolt would fit in but then easily pull out. I fiddled with it and
rotated the bolt in the lock, and that seemed to fix it - now I can't pull
it out at all while it's locked. Is this a common problem with these
locks? Anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

I have a Kryptonite U-Lock, which has worked for me very well. They have
an insurance thing that helps replace the cost of your bike (I've no
experience with this). But if you question it's security and value your
bike, I would probably get a lock you're more secure with if you can
manage.

I've noticed that on my commute I used to pretty much use 2nd gear for
uphill and 3rd for flat, now I use 3rd for uphill and 4th for flat. Is
this some indicator of progress of some sort?

I often find that I shift my bike like a car -- just keeping the same
cadence on the strokes.

How am I supposed to carry a bike lock, water bottle, air pump, tool kit,
spare tire, etc., all on my bike?

I used to carry it all in my backpack. It's enormous and, with my books
and stuff for school, it's great in the fall or winter months. But as
summer dragged on, I decided to invest in a bike rack and a trunk. It
swallows everything nicely. The one I bought also has a shoulder strap
so it doubles as a carry-all when I am doing quick day trips.

Like I said I mostly ride trails, with a short (2 mi) daily commute, and
occaisonal longer road rides (10 mi). I've been looking at getting an
Ibex Ignition 2, would people reccomend this bike for the riding I'm
doing? Is there something else I should consider? I'm still riding my
childhood bike, which is at least 8 years old, but still functional.
If I do get a new bike, is it reccomended to keep my old one around for
rainy days and such?

Not from experience, but maybe for future-dreaming, I have always
envisioned a multi-bike future for myself. One dedicated to commuting,
one for off-roading and one for racing or touring. I guess it depends
what you do with it most. My commuter is geared toward that: rack,
fenders, slicker tires. All of this to consider.

Segway - easy target for theft? (newbie question) SteveR8222 General 7 September 10th 03 01:42 PM
New Guy Questions Dell Phinus General 6 August 25th 03 04:18 PM
Group ride questions Ken General 4 July 24th 03 01:05 AM
Thread-on freewheel questions Ryan Cousineau General 3 July 23rd 03 08:16 PM