Priority to be given to pedestrians and cyclists over cars?

Old October 29th 03, 03:41 AM
Richard Bates

Default Priority to be given to pedestrians and cyclists over cars?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:36:29 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"
in
wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...868038,00.html

I'm sure that as this is not focusing on speed, it will get full support
from our "friends" on uk.tosspot.

From the website:
"Another would see more puffin crossings, which detect pedestrians and
turn lights against cars as people approach."

I have often dreamed of a type of crossing where the motorist has to
wind his[1] window downand press a button (with a biro ude to the
button being covered with chewing gum), and then wait for eternity.

I hope this happens.

Love and dreams from Rich x

[1] This is an almost politically correct term, since the "H" is
extracted from "Her" and the "IS" is extracted from "His".
--
"Netiquette" states that
a signature should be
Old October 29th 03, 09:36 AM
al_Mossah

Well, I'll believe when I see it, but this will go someway towards
correcting the assumption that car journeys should have priority over
pedstrian and cycling journeys (Government policy since about 1700 when the
plebs cringed by the side of the road whilst the horse and carriages of the
"important" people went by). The situation today is that the enlightened
company director waits for ever for the pedestrian lights to change whilst
Sierra Man with his understated stereo system and thoughtfully-removed
exhaust pipe blocks her way....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...868038,00.html

I'm sure that as this is not focusing on speed, it will get full support
from our "friends" on uk.tosspot.

Peter

Old October 29th 03, 10:54 AM
Dave Larrington

Sierra Man? Mini Woman, more like...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old October 29th 03, 12:02 PM
Richard Goodman

"al_Mossah" wrote in message

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...868038,00.html

I don't mind cyclists being given priority over cars, but I don't want to be
the victim of increased red phases at lights!

Rich

Old October 29th 03, 01:16 PM
Nathaniel David Porter

al_Mossah wrote:

Well, I'll believe when I see it, but this will go someway towards
correcting the assumption that car journeys should have priority over
pedstrian and cycling journeys (Government policy since about 1700 when the
plebs cringed by the side of the road whilst the horse and carriages of the
"important" people went by). The situation today is that the enlightened
company director waits for ever for the pedestrian lights to change whilst
Sierra Man with his understated stereo system and thoughtfully-removed
exhaust pipe blocks her way....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...868038,00.html

I'm sure that as this is not focusing on speed, it will get full support
from our "friends" on uk.tosspot.

Peter

If it's done sensibly, so traffic doesn't grind to a complete halt for a
drip feed (or even an absense) of peds, then great. But in all honesty,
I don't think it will make one jot of difference anyway - who waits two
minutes waiting for a crossing to stop traffic when then don't have to?
Peds just seem intent on wandering into the road anyway.

As an aside - how will this give cyclists priority over cars? They'll
still have to stop at the rephased signals anyway, which won't detect
cycles anyway (like many sensor operated signals), and will thus suffer
the same disadvantages over cars, but for what benefit?

I don't object to the principle, but I get the impression that someone
has just assumed this is a good idea, without actually thinking about it :-S

Old October 29th 03, 01:22 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:16:06 +0000, Nathaniel David Porter
wrote:

If it's done sensibly, so traffic doesn't grind to a complete halt for a
drip feed (or even an absense) of peds, then great. But in all honesty,
I don't think it will make one jot of difference anyway - who waits two
minutes waiting for a crossing to stop traffic when then don't have to?
Peds just seem intent on wandering into the road anyway.

I see plenty of peds waiting at crossings on busy roads where they have no
choice but to wait.

As an aside - how will this give cyclists priority over cars? They'll
still have to stop at the rephased signals anyway, which won't detect
cycles anyway (like many sensor operated signals), and will thus suffer
the same disadvantages over cars, but for what benefit?

The aspects of crossings detailed in this article don't help cyclists,
however, the tenor of the report is that cyclists should have priority
over other road traffic. Schemes to implement this aren't discussed, it is
a short piece about walking rather than cycling.

I don't object to the principle, but I get the impression that someone
has just assumed this is a good idea, without actually thinking about it

Did you read the bit about this report citing experimental schemes in
various places? Ie the report is based on working examples of such schemes
not assumptions.

Colin
Old October 29th 03, 01:22 PM
Tony W

"Nathaniel David Porter" wrote in message

As an aside - how will this give cyclists priority over cars?

Rephased Toucan crossings where cycle paths cross roads.

They'll
still have to stop at the rephased signals anyway, which won't detect
cycles anyway (like many sensor operated signals), and will thus suffer
the same disadvantages over cars, but for what benefit?

Only if you insist on cycling on the road -- in which case you deserve all
you get!!

I don't object to the principle, but I get the impression that someone
has just assumed this is a good idea, without actually thinking about it

:-S

Probably true.

Definitely contains traces of irony!!

Old October 29th 03, 01:28 PM
Tony Raven

al_Mossah wrote:
Well, I'll believe when I see it, but this will go someway towards
correcting the assumption that car journeys should have priority over
pedstrian and cycling journeys (Government policy since about 1700
when the plebs cringed by the side of the road whilst the horse and
carriages of the "important" people went by).

However "How the strategy is applied will be left to local authorities" and
we all know how good they are about matters cycling.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain

Old October 29th 03, 01:58 PM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "al_Mossah" wrote:
"important" people went by). The situation today is that the enlightened
company director waits for ever for the pedestrian lights to change whilst

We have precedents for good practice, even in this country. When I
lived in Sheffield (early '90s, pre-supertram) I never had to wait
more than a few seconds for the green pedestrian after pressing the
button. Yet the overall flow of road traffic didn't suffer, either!

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8
Old October 29th 03, 02:01 PM
Mark Thompson

I don't object to the principle, but I get the impression that someone
has just assumed this is a good idea, without actually thinking about it

Did you read the bit about this report citing experimental schemes in
various places? Ie the report is based on working examples of such schemes
not assumptions.

And the bit about being gestated (sp?) for 6 years. While the policy is
potentially an excellent idea, the local councils will be putting it into
action, which ensures that its implementation will be, in most cases, badly
flawed. The local councils will assume this is a good idea, without
actually thinking about it.[1]

Mark.

But as with everything I say in a newsgroup this is a generalisation, and I
do not wish to tar all council employees with the same brush. Councillors,
on the other hand...