Hydraulic Drag Brake

Old August 5th 04, 04:07 AM
gbarnes

Default Hydraulic Drag Brake

This has been suggested before, but I think it was poo-poo'ed en lieu of
cable actuated v-brakes.

I experimented with using my HS-33 as a drag brake a lot on my descent
from 'Mt. Evans' (http://tinyurl.com/4wnve) today.

For really long, constant grade descents (say 15 miles) I've found I can
adjust my pad wear knob until the brakes are always on to flatten out
the desecents.

I've found I like the pads applied enough that you need to hold the
unicycle at 30-45 degrees from the ground to be able to push the uni
without the tire skidding on pavement.

If I stop during the descent I back the knob off about 1/2 a turn before
I get going again.

My $0.02.

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

Old August 5th 04, 06:04 AM
TonyMelton

gbarnes wrote:
*For really long, constant grade descents (say 15 miles) I've found I
can adjust my pad wear knob until the brakes are always on to flatten
out the desecents.
*

That's ingenious! I bet Magura never thought that that knob would get
used like this. But hey, if it there, ya might as well use it!

--
TonyMelton - www.unicycle.co.nz

See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old August 5th 04, 06:20 AM
john_childs

I've thought about putting friction washers in the Magura lever to turn
it into a drag brake. I don't know how well it would work.

My idea was to take the friction washers and other friction bits out of
an old style friction shifting lever from an old bicycle. Put the
friction bits on the pivot bolt in the Magura lever and see how it
works. It might just work. Maybe.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old August 5th 04, 09:04 PM
muddycycle

I have seen someone use rubber bands from the leaver to the handle
adjusting the drag by adding more bands.

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

Old August 6th 04, 02:29 AM
evil-nick

Just when I thought I was turning into a super l337 /\/\u/\/1 /\/\4/\/,
I realize that I've never felt the need for a brake, no matter what the
hill was... guess I'm not tackling the rough stuff yet, huh? Or I've
surpassed Kris Holm in skill... oh wait, that was the dream where I
also won the Tour de France on my 24" Nimbus...

--
evil-nick - Living in Balance

Never kick a unicyclist in the groin... it will only make them grow
stronger...

evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

Old August 6th 04, 07:14 AM
Klaas Bil

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:29:03 -0500, "evil-nick" wrote:

Just when I thought I was turning into a super l337 /\/\u/\/1 /\/\4/\/,

I don't get l337?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Old August 6th 04, 02:54 PM
Rowan

Klaas Bil wrote:
*I don't get l337?*