Shoe Fit Question...Follow up

Old April 21st 04, 04:06 AM
RkFast

Default Shoe Fit Question...Follow up

Thanks to all who provided answers to my shoe fit question. Ive follwed the
advice that shoes shouldnt be too tight. But a new set of issues arise
**sigh**.......

OK..I went with the SIDI 42s....a little bigger. I have plenty of room in
the toebox. But heres the deal...after about 20 minutes, Im getting a
noticeable about of forward/aft movement with my weight shifts/climbing on
the bike. Even if I cinch the straps allll the way down to the limits of
their travel. Ill be able to move my foot forward and aft a good amount
while riding. I have to curl my toes a bit to keep my feet stable in the
shoe. Im not crazy about this. So first question...is this normal to be able
to do this? Even after two hours of riding with the "swelling" setting
in...they just feel a little too big while riding.

So...I went to my LBS who happenned to have the 41.5s. They fit like a
glove...like ballet slippers. My toes juuuuust barely touch the front and
lateral movement is not noticable at all. So second question....is THIS OK?
Yes, my toes just scrape the front. With Winter socks, a little tighter and
very similar to my old shoes. But I can wiggle my toes pretty easily and
although they are pretty snug around the front of the foot, they are not
painful at all. Smaller than the last pair, yes...but not painful one bit.
Again...like a glove, or ballet slippers.

So...should I go a little too big or "glove like"?

Thanks again.....

Old April 21st 04, 04:21 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
RkFast wrote:
Thanks to all who provided answers to my shoe fit question. Ive follwed the
advice that shoes shouldnt be too tight. But a new set of issues arise
**sigh**.......

OK..I went with the SIDI 42s....a little bigger. I have plenty of room in
the toebox. But heres the deal...after about 20 minutes, Im getting a
noticeable about of forward/aft movement with my weight shifts/climbing on
the bike. Even if I cinch the straps allll the way down to the limits of
their travel. Ill be able to move my foot forward and aft a good amount
while riding. I have to curl my toes a bit to keep my feet stable in the
shoe.

Good way to get a foot cramp!

Im not crazy about this. So first question...is this normal to be able
to do this? Even after two hours of riding with the "swelling" setting
in...they just feel a little too big while riding.

If you can curl your toes in the shoe you might consider using
an aftermarket insole (eg, Superfeet) to make them fit.

So...I went to my LBS who happenned to have the 41.5s. They fit like a
glove...like ballet slippers. My toes juuuuust barely touch the front and
lateral movement is not noticable at all. So second question....is THIS OK?

Hard to say, probably OK.

--Paul

Old April 21st 04, 06:02 AM
Tom Paterson

From: "RkFast"

But heres the deal...after about 20 minutes, Im getting a
noticeable about of forward/aft movement with my weight shifts/climbing on
the bike. Even if I cinch the straps allll the way down to the limits of
their travel. Ill be able to move my foot forward and aft a good amount (snip)

And the next half-size smaller has your toes touching the end of the shoe. A
big no no no in my painful experience.

I usually tighten my ratchet a click or two after some unknown time on the
bike. The velcro toe straps I leave "loose". Works fine for me. Maybe your feet
don't work in Sidi shoes? I have a friend who likes Carnac (road) shoes best
for a wide 43 size. --TP

Old April 21st 04, 06:02 AM
Tom Paterson

Old April 21st 04, 11:58 AM
Per Elmsäter

RkFast wrote:

So...should I go a little too big or "glove like"?

Thanks again.....

My shoes fit like a glove, no sliding around. But!! I can wriggle my toes.

--
Perre

Old April 21st 04, 12:02 PM
Roy Zipris

"RkFast" wrote
[snip]
So...I went to my LBS who happenned to have the 41.5s. They fit like a
glove...like ballet slippers. [snip some more] With Winter socks, a little
tighter....

With winter socks, my shoes were far too tight for comfort, leading to
cold feet. And forget about adding a sock liner for increased
insulating warmth--no room at all for that. --Roy Zipris

Old April 21st 04, 12:14 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 04/20/2004 09:06 PM, in article
, "RkFast"
wrote:

[...]

Try putting an insert (something like SuperFeet) into the 42s ... That
should take up close to 1/4 size; and thus will likely fit better than
either the 42s alone or the 41.5s.

It'll be cheaper than buying a second pair of shoes as well, since I don't
know of any shops that will take back a pair of shoes once they've been
ridden.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

The old shoe fit question RkFast Techniques 16 April 14th 04 01:21 PM
Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Sidi shoe question FlashSteve General 1 September 5th 03 01:36 PM
Question regading shoe fit Steve + Laura Techniques 1 July 22nd 03 10:20 PM