Strada Wheelset Upgrade

Old July 17th 04, 03:47 AM
Bill

Default Strada Wheelset Upgrade

If I upgrade the stock wheelset on my Strada, will the performance
difference be significant? I want to stay with my stock 1" front tire
and a 1.4" Richey tire on the rear because I like the soft and
sure-footed ride. I had 650C's on the bike at one time and it was only
about 1+ mph faster, but he wheelset was cheap and heavy. I preferred
the softer ride of the 1"/1.4" tires to the slightly faster and harsher
650C tires. If wheels do make a significant difference, where can I get
the biggest bang for the buck for under $300 on a 26" wheelset for the
Strada?

Please remove the 7 from my e-mail address when replying.

Thanks,

Bill

Old July 19th 04, 02:09 AM
Bill

Default What Happened to This NG?, was Strada Wheelset Upgrade

Where did everyone go in this NG? Is there a popular discussion group
somewhere else that 'bent riders are using instead? It has been a while
since I have looked here and I was surprised how few postings there were
and there was even some spam. Normally, in the old days, a question
like I had below would have gotten some responses.

Bill

Old July 19th 04, 02:43 AM
TimH

"Bill" wrote in message
Where did everyone go in this NG? Is there a popular discussion group
somewhere else that 'bent riders are using instead? It has been a while
since I have looked here and I was surprised how few postings there were
and there was even some spam. Normally, in the old days, a question
like I had below would have gotten some responses.

Okay I'll bite. $300 isn't going to buy you a better 26" wheelset than the
stock Strada wheels. Seriously.

:

Old July 19th 04, 03:31 AM
Bill

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I am glad to hear that the Strada
wheels are that good. I want a spare wheelset and already have some
nice 32 hole hubs. If I buy some identical rims (AlexRims DA 16's), it
will be much cheaper than buying an expensive wheelset. I was going to
use the stock wheelset as a spare set if expensive rims were that much
better.

I would still like to know if 'bent riders are meeting somewhere else on
the 'Net these days instead of here. It seems that the HPV group is not
longer mostly 'bents these days too.

Old July 19th 04, 04:29 AM
Edward Dolan

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]
I would still like to know if 'bent riders are meeting somewhere else on
the 'Net these days instead of here. It seems that the HPV group is not
longer mostly 'bents these days too.

[...]
Where did everyone go in this NG? Is there a popular discussion group
somewhere else that 'bent riders are using instead? It has been a while
since I have looked here and I was surprised how few postings there were
and there was even some spam. Normally, in the old days, a question
like I had below would have gotten some responses.

Bill, try the Bentrideronline bulletin board for questions and answers. I
wouldn't be caught dead there myself as that forum is moderated by a liberal
nut and screwball, but you might prefer it. I prefer an adult group like
ARBR where the only moderation is what we impose on ourselves.

This newsgroup is for more intellectual discussions. All the old-timers who
were into being helpful to newbies have left for greener pastures because
they all wanted to post their inane liberal political comments and I took
them up on it. There is thankfully little of that sort of thing left here
now due to me. This newsgroup is a far better place than it was in the old
days when it was full of nothing but liberal rants by the species Homo
Stupidus Liberalis.

By the way, there are too damn many Bill's on this newsgroup, some with a
single l (Bil) and some with two l's like you (Bill). Some capitalize the B
and others don't. I wish everyone would use their own name so I don't go
crazy trying to keep track of all these confounded Bill's!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 19th 04, 01:24 PM
Doug Huffman

This Usenet newsgroup is dying. It is dying from a lack of discipline and
self-restraint among its posters. This has allowed some individuals to drive
the discussions away from the topic of common interest and into mere
offensive and ignorant opinion.

I'll not suggest other fora since they are generally commercial and 'cookie'
filled.

Old July 19th 04, 04:11 PM
Edward Dolan

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
This Usenet newsgroup is dying. It is dying from a lack of discipline and
self-restraint among its posters. This has allowed some individuals to

drive
the discussions away from the topic of common interest and into mere
offensive and ignorant opinion.

I'll not suggest other fora since they are generally commercial and

'cookie'
filled.

Anyhone else but Doug would have used forums for the plural of forum. Fora
is highly affected and the mark of a snob. Ill-educated people do this sort
of thing all the time. A little learning is a dangerous thing!

Doug regards any opinion that he disagrees with as ignorant (as I do too of
course for the most part) but where is the offense? Furthermore, if a
dissuasion is going to wander, it always takes at least two posters for that
to happen. Otherwise, you are just talking to yourself.

But above all else, Doug is a top poster, one of the worst offenses that
anyone can commit on a newsgroup. Talk about lack of discipline and
self-restraint! He should most definitely confine his activities to forums
where he can top post to his heart's content and no one will give a damn,
because forums (bulletin boards) are the dullest mediums known to mankind
and are only for dullards and other boring slobs like him.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 19th 04, 05:50 PM
Edward Dolan

"Carol Cohen" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]
I would still like to know if 'bent riders are meeting somewhere else

on
the 'Net these days instead of here. It seems that the HPV group is

not
longer mostly 'bents these days too.

[...]
Where did everyone go in this NG?

Bill, try the Bentrideronline bulletin board for questions and answers.

wouldn't be caught dead there myself as that forum is moderated by a

liberal
nut and screwball, but you might prefer it. I prefer an adult group like
ARBR where the only moderation is what we impose on ourselves.

This newsgroup is for more intellectual discussions.

I have forgotten whether Carol is a man or a woman, but I will respond as
though what follows below was written by a man.
[...]

Before his entrance into this newsgroup,
we all just ignored the political off-topic posters who wanted to
rant. When they didn't get replied to, the thread died and the ranter
(hopefully) learned to go elsewhere.

Never happened that way! The liberal political rants went on forever. But
mostly is was just the little snide and hateful asides that drove me crazy.
The reason this went on forever is that most here did not mind them. That
all changed when I showed up. Why should a newsgroup be given over to insane
liberal rants and hateful remarks when most recumbent cyclists do not fall
into that category any more than the country at large does.

I learned how to deal with the liberal posters here when Mr. Ball, the
editor of BentRiderOnLine, thought it was perfectly fine for liberals to
rant here since that was the dominant feeling of the group. What had
happened of course is that a self selected group of crazies had taken over
the group because of submissive types like Carol who are basically sheep and
will put up with anything for the sake of a bit of peace.

Unfortunately, people seem to be
replying to this latest of problem posters, and it has somewhat ruined
the newsgroup.

There is now very little political posting going on in this newsgroup
anymore. Both Mr. Sherman and I have pulled in our horns quite a bit. But
you would not know that since you have left the group. You are now out of
the loop and no longer fit to comment on us.

But good luck on getting answers to your technical queries.

A newsgroup is more than just a question and answer column for "technical
queries" for heaven's sake! But the Carol's of this world would have us all
bored to death dealing with stupid queries that anyone reading any
publication devoted to recumbents would know. But mostly, Carol does not
like vigorous discussion and argument, political or otherwise.

And newsgroup, goodbye again. But I bet there will be another post
from Dolan on this thread. He can't seem to let go, to not be the
last to reply. This has impacted negatively on a.r.b.r.

I only reply to a post when I have something to say about it. That is almost
always the case here on ARBR because everyone is always saying incredibly
stupid things - like yourself in the present instance. Say something
intelligent for a change and I will be speechless.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 19th 04, 06:19 PM
Doug Huffman

Put 'im in the killfile.

Old July 19th 04, 06:30 PM
Edward Dolan

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
Put 'im in the killfile.

"Carol Cohen" wrote in message
om...
| "Edward Dolan" wrote in message
|
| And newsgroup, goodbye again. But I bet there will be another post
| from Dolan on this thread. He can't seem to let go, to not be the
| last to reply. This has impacted negatively on a.r.b.r.

I am always delighted to be in the kill file of cowards and other scurrilous
individuals who do not know how to defend their idiotic opinions and who are
top posters besides. A pox on the lot of you!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota