The whole Lemond and drug thing....

Old July 24th 04, 11:09 PM
DPCpresto

Default The whole Lemond and drug thing....

Actually, I've lost the respect for Lemond that I had because he either
hasn't got the guts to actually say what he means, as if he has ANY proof
whatever; or, he's saying that no one (but he of course) could ever be good
enough to win TDF more than a few times UNLESS they were doped. That is
absolute bull****. Is he also saying that Eddie, Hinault, Indurain, et
al...we all on dope because they too were so much above the rest of the
pack? What about the fact that the science of training and the science
involved in training at that professional level is way more advanced now
than it was even a few year ago? What about the fact that Lance works his
ass off in training, in scouting the courses, in constantly striving to
improve his aero position, climbing form, etc...And the fact that Lance
makes no bones about the fact that he keys his whole season on being ready
for the TDF. And of course, the fact that the USPS team operates as a TEAM
and has managed to give Lance the support that any rider will need to win
such an event as the TDF year after year. Oh the hell with that....they're
all on drugs, eh Greg????
Unlike Ullrich, who has stated that his TT form is perfect and doesn't
need any improvement, which may explain more than anything the attitude that
has made him "second best" and less for the now past six years. Or the fact
that he still hasn't learned after all these years that he can't get fat and
lazy in the off months and expect to just ride back into form and beat Lance
with that sort of training mentality.
There clearly were drugs in the pro tours; clearly are still drugs being
used, and I am all for getting them out of the sport I so dearly love, but
this guilt by implication and unfounded accusations, especially against
Lance, especially by someone who should be supporting US cycling with
positive PR, not petty jealously and bickering, is too much. I say, Greg if
you've got solid, verifiable proof that Lance, or any one else in the modern
peloton is doping, put the evidence out for the world to see, and quite
sniping from the wings like a petulant child that had his toys
stolen.......or shut the **** up with your under the table innuendoes
against those riders, past and present, who clearly where and are a damn
site more talented than you! I'd really like to know how it is that you have
access to information that apparently no one else but you in the world of
cycling has obtained after six years of TDF coverage, world-wide attention,
and constant drug testing of not only Lance, but the whole USPS team!

Dave

Old July 24th 04, 11:40 PM
Gingerale392

Lemond was America's greatest cyclist--he held that title without question.
Then the hunting accident. Now he's a hero. He enjoys this status--it defines
who he is.

Then Lance comes along and comes back from what people view as closer to death
and accomplishes more. Lemond is clearly the number two guy.

Any doubt that there is a little bitterness?

Any doubt that besmirching Armstrong would be good for Greg?

Eggszellent post!

BRBR

Old July 25th 04, 12:45 AM
Alex Beascoechea

"DPCpresto" escribió en el mensaje
Actually, I've lost the respect for Lemond that I had because he

either
hasn't got the guts to actually say what he means, as if he has ANY proof
whatever; or, he's saying that no one (but he of course) could ever be

good
enough to win TDF more than a few times UNLESS they were doped. That is
absolute bull****. Is he also saying that Eddie, Hinault, Indurain, et

If the translation I read from the Le Monde article was correct he was
saying anybody
that has come after him was doped. In fact, I was a bit surprissed that
everybody has only
seen an attack to Armstrong in those words (based on the line about
Armstrong and his "secret").

Alex.

Old July 25th 04, 12:46 AM
Ed-D

"Gingerale392" wrote in message
Lemond was America's greatest cyclist--he held that title without question.
Then the hunting accident. Now he's a hero. He enjoys this status--it

defines
who he is.

Then Lance comes along and comes back from what people view as closer to

death
and accomplishes more. Lemond is clearly the number two guy.

Any doubt that there is a little bitterness?

Any doubt that besmirching Armstrong would be good for Greg?

exactly. that's what this is about. And if you take a look at Greg on
TV--bloated, out-of-shape, middle aged--you can't blame him for attacking
Lance the only way he can: in the press.

Eggszellent post!

Old July 25th 04, 01:36 AM
Jiyang Chen

"DPCpresto" wrote in message
Actually, I've lost the respect for Lemond that I had because he

either
hasn't got the guts to actually say what he means, as if he has ANY

proof
whatever; or, he's saying that no one (but he of course) could ever be

good
enough to win TDF more than a few times UNLESS they were doped. That

is
absolute bull****. Is he also saying that Eddie, Hinault, Indurain, et
al...we all on dope because they too were so much above the rest of

the
pack?

Anquetil admitted to doping. Merckx tested positive for dope. Don't
know about others...