Curse of LeJOG

Old March 13th 04, 01:01 PM
MSeries

Default Curse of LeJOG

Some of you may remember that I was planning to ride from Lands End to John
O'Groats in 2002, then the company I worked for went into administration and
I was made redundant. Its happened again. :-(. I was really looking forward
to my ride this year and I learned yesterday that I now no longer have a
job. I need to see if I can find work before I decide to postpone the ride
again.

Looking on the bright side I can do loads of cycling while I am out of work
and who knows, maybe I can find a new job locally so I can cyclo-commute

If Arthur Clune reads this, I'll be in touch regarding returning your book.

Old March 13th 04, 01:39 PM
JohnB

MSeries wrote:

Some of you may remember that I was planning to ride from Lands End to John
O'Groats in 2002, then the company I worked for went into administration and
I was made redundant. Its happened again. :-(. I was really looking forward
to my ride this year and I learned yesterday that I now no longer have a
job. I need to see if I can find work before I decide to postpone the ride
again.

Looking on the bright side I can do loads of cycling while I am out of work
and who knows, maybe I can find a new job locally so I can cyclo-commute

Oh hard luck.
Perhaps there is a curse.
My job was made redundant shortly after completing the E2E.
B*st*rds

John B
Old March 13th 04, 03:36 PM
Richard Goodman

"MSeries" wrote in message

Looking on the bright side I can do loads of cycling while I am out of

work

Like doing the E2E maybe? Well, sorry about your job and I can understand
wanting to get back into work asap, but OTOH wouldn't this be the best time
to do it? If you do get another job then how long will it be before you
could take enough time off to do it?

Rich

Old March 13th 04, 03:44 PM
Richard Goodman

"Richard Goodman" wrote in message
If you do get another job then how long will it be before you
could take enough time off to do it?

Sorry, of course I meant _when_ you do get another job

Rich

Old March 13th 04, 03:53 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

In ,
Richard Goodman typed:
"Richard Goodman" wrote in message
If you do get another job then how long will it be before you
could take enough time off to do it?

Sorry, of course I meant _when_ you do get another job

Hmmm... Looks very much like _if_ from my point of view (I mean for me, not
MSeries). Maybe a nice LeJOG in April would fix it. See what the Jobcentre
thinks.

Old March 13th 04, 05:02 PM
MSeries

Richard Goodman wrote:
work

Like doing the E2E maybe? Well, sorry about your job and I can
understand wanting to get back into work asap, but OTOH wouldn't
this be the best time to do it? If you do get another job then how
long will it be before you could take enough time off to do it?

Rich

I will not be able to afford to be so self indulgent. I'll still have bills
to pay with no income !

Old March 13th 04, 08:14 PM
MSeries

Richard Goodman wrote:
"MSeries" wrote in message

I will not be able to afford to be so self indulgent. I'll still
have bills to pay with no income !

Ah, so no nice lump sum redundancy payment? That's too bad.

No, I'll qualify for pay in lieu of notice, untaken holiday and thats all.
The company are offering the bare minimun that they have to by law, I have
been there less than two years so qualify for no redundancy.

Maybe
you could join elyob doing his thing on the cheap by staying in a
tent all the way .

Maybe, thats a possibility.

Old March 13th 04, 08:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Richard Goodman
') wrote:

That's the trouble with being below retirement age and not of
'independant' means - if you're working you may have the money but
not the time and if
you're out of work you'll have the time but not the money! Bah -
that's capitalism for you .

Yup. You need to get out of the rat race. I suppose I've spent twelve
years building up the cushy number I have now, and I'll admit it's
not 100% secure; but I work at home, about 75% of a 'full time
equivalent' although at hours to suit myself, and earn about 60% of
what I would in the cities - which gives me, here, a very good
lifestyle indeed and plenty of money to spend on toys.

The point is if you work in the cities you get a good income, but you
pay a phenomenal amount for housing and commuting. If you live
somewhere sufficiently out in the sticks to be beyond any conceivable
commuting distance of any town, and can work from home, your housing
costs are low and your commuting costs non-existant. So you can
undercut urban workers by a big margin and still have a better
standard of living; and there are companies who will put up with the
fact that you don't come into the office if they can get the work
they need done at a price which is lower than they'd pay locally.

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
;; asylum seeker

Old March 13th 04, 09:03 PM
Mark

Simon Brooke wrote:
The point is if you work in the cities you get a good income,
but you pay a phenomenal amount for housing and commuting. If
you live somewhere sufficiently out in the sticks to be beyond
any conceivable commuting distance of any town, and can work
from home, your housing costs are low and your commuting costs
non-existant. So you can undercut urban workers by a big
margin and still have a better standard of living; and there
are companies who will put up with the fact that you don't
come into the office if they can get the work they need done
at a price which is lower than they'd pay locally.

I'd love to work at home but as I'm an analytical chemist in QC
it would be hard :-(
--
Mark

After thinking long about a signature I've decided not to bother.

Old March 13th 04, 09:11 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:35:10 GMT, Simon Brooke
wrote in message :

You need to get out of the rat race

Newsflash: the rat race is over. The rats won...

--
Guy
===