LEJOG and pannier size

Old May 18th 04, 02:14 PM
Mark Thompson

Default LEJOG and pannier size

Weathers too nice to wear the backpack so want a pannier or two. Might as
well get some that will do the job for the end to end that I'm vaguely
planning - no point buying another pair in a few weeks/years time. Can
anyone with experience of the End to End tell me what sort litre-age I'll
need? I'll be riding unsupported and camping out but am used to roughing
it a bit so won't need too many espresso machines (!?!) and other luxuries

Cheers

Mark.

ps Should we have a prize for the biggest load, or has Richard Bates won
that one?

pps don't count the tent.
Old May 18th 04, 02:36 PM
JohnB

Mark Thompson wrote:

Weathers too nice to wear the backpack so want a pannier or two. Might as
well get some that will do the job for the end to end that I'm vaguely
planning - no point buying another pair in a few weeks/years time. Can
anyone with experience of the End to End tell me what sort litre-age I'll
need? I'll be riding unsupported and camping out but am used to roughing
it a bit so won't need too many espresso machines (!?!) and other luxuries

When I rode with my daughter we used a pair of Ortlieb 30ltr and a pair
of 40ltr between us. We were also camping so while the tent went on the
rack, the bags took our sleeping bags and all our other needs with
plenty of space to spare for carrying day-to-day shopping etc.

http://www.jpbdesign.net/EndtoEnd.html

The rule stands, whatever space you take it will always be filled.

I am always astounded when I see tourists with bags front and rear,
barbags and miles of strapping and bungees.

John B
Old May 18th 04, 02:42 PM
Peter Clinch

Mark Thompson wrote:
Weathers too nice to wear the backpack so want a pannier or two. Might as
well get some that will do the job for the end to end that I'm vaguely
planning - no point buying another pair in a few weeks/years time. Can
anyone with experience of the End to End tell me what sort litre-age I'll
need? I'll be riding unsupported and camping out but am used to roughing
it a bit so won't need too many espresso machines (!?!) and other luxuries

It's difficult to say as different people have different ideas of what
they want/need, vastly different bulks of sleeping bags and cooksets,
plus also the case that Brand X's idea of 20 liters isn't always quite
the same as Brand Y's.
I'd be inclined to take a representative chunk of packing to your
friendly pannier supplier and actually try a few out for capacity with
your own projected load, which also has the advantage that you can try
them on the bike in the shop and make sure you have heel clearance, that
the attachment mech works well on your rack, etc.

Typical rears range from 20 (Ortliebs) up to 27 (Carradice Super C).
There may be bigger ones for typical racks but you're in the realm of
unwieldy IMHO. You can always over spill into a dry bag lashed to the
rack. If you have lowriders too that pretty much removes your space
problems. Biggest lowriders I've come across are Altura Orkneys at 17l
each, which I use as a general purpose pannier (I deploy the Ortlieb
rollers in conjunction for bigger loads), going down to 12.5l for
Ortliebs. I like the combination of Altura Orkneys and Ortlieb rollers,
gives me lots of easily accessible pockets during the ride and big,
completely waterproof main cargo for the camping and strategic supplies,
but you should be able to fir everything on the back if you are
moderately minimalist.

Good panniers make a big difference and last for years, so IMHO it's
worth getting your hands on them for a thorough check out before parting
with money.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old May 18th 04, 02:48 PM
Peter Clinch

JohnB wrote:

I am always astounded when I see tourists with bags front and rear,
barbags and miles of strapping and bungees.

Many an old synthetic sleeping bag will fill out any single pannier, and
that's half your space gone before you even start. Also the case that
some people take more camera gear on a jaunt round the block than some
of us could lift, and so on. Mileage varies accordingly with how much
room will be needed.

btw, there's a fairly good article on packing and bags in the last "Cycle".

Pete.

Old May 18th 04, 04:16 PM
chris French

In message , Peter Clinch
writes
Mark Thompson wrote:
[...]

snip

but you should be able to fir everything on the back if you are
moderately minimalist.

I usually use front and rear panniers and a bar bag when
camping/touring. I probably could fit it all on the rear rack, esp. if
I'm in a more minimalist mood but having all the weight on the rear
doesn't do much for the handling of my tourer, it means I have to take
more care with the packing and leaves little spare space if I want to
stock up on food. Using front and rear panniers I can spread the load
better, I have more flexibility in organising my gear, access to gear is
easier and I have spare space if I want it.

I wouldn't expect every bag to be bulging even though I prefer to pack
the tent in the panniers if possible, far from it, and the bar bag is
really there just for convenience - a place to have snacks handy, and
valuables like the money and camera.

Good panniers make a big difference and last for years,

Indeed, I have a pair of Super C rear and Tika (when they were sold
here) front panniers, both were expensive, both were good value. The
Super C's are a bit knackered now, with holes that aren't really worth
repairing properly, a pair of Ortliebs is lurking on the to buy list.

--
Chris French, Leeds
Old May 18th 04, 06:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message 57, Mark
Thompson ') wrote:

Weathers too nice to wear the backpack so want a pannier or two.
Might as well get some that will do the job for the end to end that
I'm vaguely
planning - no point buying another pair in a few weeks/years time.

Consider a trailer.

Seriously.

A trailer will carry more bulk than panniers, and more weight too if
needed. When you're getting the bike on and off trains or over styles
it's easy to unhitch and you have two relatively easy loads instead of
one very awkward one. It also has much less effect on the balance and
handling of your bike.

Don't spend money on panniers before you've at least tried one.

As people will remember from endless posts here, I've travelled a huge
number of miles with a Bike-Hod. The Bike Hod has problems with
stability on very fast corners, but it is extremely convenient to
manage off the bike, hitches and unhitches easily, and carries a simply
ludicrous amount of gear. It's also highly visible in traffic, and
according to
URL:http://www.atob.org.uk/trailer_price_tag.html, is the lightest
utility trailer available. If you don't take your downhills at idiotic
speeds it may well be the best buy.

The trailer I get next will either be a BOB Yak or a Weber Monoporter,
both of which are single wheel trailers and consequently should not
have any stability problem.

ps Should we have a prize for the biggest load, or has Richard Bates
won that one?

Among other things I've carried in the BikeHod, I'd include a bass
guitar and its amplifier, or, on another occasion, two big tins of
exterior masonry paint, brushes, buckets and a ladder. Do that with
panniers!

;; lovely alternative to rice.

Old May 18th 04, 09:15 PM
Mark South

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
JohnB wrote:

I am always astounded when I see tourists with bags front and rear,
barbags and miles of strapping and bungees.

Yes, how do they get started on uphills?

Many an old synthetic sleeping bag will fill out any single pannier, and
that's half your space gone before you even start.

Too true :-(

Also the case that some people take more camera gear on a jaunt round
the block than some of us could lift, and so on.

No names mentioned, but I've copied your remarks to Paul Saunders :-)

Mileage varies accordingly with how much room will be needed.

The ultimate argument for credit card touring.
--
"To live in San Francisco and just not care that
there are naked triathletes running across

Old May 18th 04, 11:01 PM
chris French

In message , Mark South
writes
JohnB wrote:

I am always astounded when I see tourists with bags front and rear,
barbags and miles of strapping and bungees.

Yes, how do they get started on uphills?

Unless it's very steep it's not that hard, easier though if you stop on
a bit that will be easier to start on again, a flatter section, a side
road etc.

Mileage varies accordingly with how much room will be needed.

The ultimate argument for credit card touring.

Miles covered is only one aspect of touring. Me I prefer to measure
progress in teashops visited :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old May 19th 04, 12:36 AM
Mark Thompson

Consider a trailer.

Noooooooo! I'd fill it up, seriously! Still, at least it would solve the problem of
where the rat would stay when I go - it could come with me, cage and all! Not a bad idea
actually, esp as it loves cycling.
Old May 19th 04, 10:30 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Mark Thompson wrote:

Consider a trailer.

Noooooooo! I'd fill it up, seriously! Still, at least it would
solve the problem of where the rat would stay when I go - it could
come with me, cage and all! Not a bad idea actually, esp as it loves
cycling.

Fit a hamster wheel connected to the trailer via a suitable drive mechanism,
and the rat can join the fun...

Guy