Stretching before hard exercise

Old November 8th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stretching before hard exercise

I've never been a fan of this widely practiced painful exercise
regimen, and now I feel vindicated because I prefer to warm up by
riding my bicycle casually in a moderate gear. I don't like running
anyway.

http://tinyurl.com/6neoxx

Jobst Brandt
Old November 8th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
anonymousNetUser

wrote:
I've never been a fan of this widely practiced painful exercise
regimen, and now I feel vindicated because I prefer to warm up by
riding my bicycle casually in a moderate gear. I don't like running
anyway.

http://tinyurl.com/6neoxx

Jobst Brandt

Consider the source.

This article mentions a study done by the University of Nevada at Las
Vegas. Right... a very prestigious medical school there. Oh, I forgot,
they don't actually have a medical school. In Nevada, the medical school
is actually part of the UofN-Reno.

All they've got at UNLV is a bunch of hotel admin majors who pay their
tuition working as strippers and hookers.
Old November 8th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle

wrote in message
| I've never been a fan of this widely practiced painful exercise
| regimen, and now I feel vindicated because I prefer to warm up by
| riding my bicycle casually in a moderate gear. I don't like running
| anyway.
|
| http://tinyurl.com/6neoxx
|
| Jobst Brandt

10 - 15 minutes at a relaxed to moderate pace is known to be a good
warm-up.

Cheers

Old November 8th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 7, 6:22*pm, wrote:

*http://tinyurl.com/6neoxx

Well... People have been talking about doing light activity to get
warmed up and then stretching for a long time, twenty years or more by
my vague recollection. This article seems to imply most people do
"cold" stretching.

Once just for grins I did a short sauna session before a Spin class.
Seemed like an excellent warmup; I don't know if that is commonly done
by others. Except for maybe a few swimmers who don't tolerate "cold"
water well, who use sauna or steam room before (and after!) pool
sessions. --D-y
Old November 8th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
anonymousNetUser wrote:

wrote:
I've never been a fan of this widely practiced painful exercise
regimen, and now I feel vindicated because I prefer to warm up by
riding my bicycle casually in a moderate gear. I don't like running
anyway.

http://tinyurl.com/6neoxx

Jobst Brandt

Consider the source.

This article mentions a study done by the University of Nevada at Las
Vegas. Right... a very prestigious medical school there. Oh, I forgot,
they don't actually have a medical school. In Nevada, the medical school
is actually part of the UofN-Reno.

All they've got at UNLV is a bunch of hotel admin majors who pay their
tuition working as strippers and hookers.

The scurrilous trashing of UNLV is funny, but it's normal for this sort
of exercise research to be done by kinesiology departments, not med
schools.

Old November 8th 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

wrote:

I've never been a fan of this widely practiced painful
exercise regimen, and now I feel vindicated because I prefer
to warm up by riding my bicycle casually in a moderate gear.
I don't like running anyway.

http://tinyurl.com/6neoxx

Jobst Brandt

I couldn't agree more.

I've always been most comfortable with just starting out quite
slowly. Over the first 15 minutes or so, I'll gradually
increase effort to something I feel I can sustain all day
(which sometimes differs from day to day).

I find exercise much more enjoyable when done this way.

John
Old November 8th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

I've never been a fan of this widely practiced painful
exercise regimen, and now I feel vindicated because I prefer
to warm up by riding my bicycle casually in a moderate gear.
I don't like running anyway.

http://tinyurl.com/6neoxx

Jobst Brandt

It's odd to use that article to say you feel vindicated if you're only
doing part of what they talk about (no static streching) but not the
other part (dynamic stretching).

JT
Old November 8th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Jobst Brandt writes:

I've never been a fan of this widely practiced painful
exercise regimen, and now I feel vindicated because I prefer
to warm up by riding my bicycle casually in a
moderate gear. I don't like running anyway.
**http://tinyurl.com/6neoxx
Jobst Brandt

Only speculative on my part, but could the static stretch routine be
rooted in American culture via the isometrics / "dynamic tensioning",
promoted by Angelo Siciliano?
I too prefer to transition into my own rhythm. I don't push any gear
before _I'm_ ready.
Regretfully I've never been a runner of any great distance but admire
those who are.
Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin