Todays Herald Sun - Petrol Price Bleating

Old August 24th 05, 11:51 PM
PiledHigher

Default Todays Herald Sun - Petrol Price Bleating

IN the article today the Hun was talking about how petrol prices ha
gone up and some commuters may be paying $1000 more a year for ther
commute alone, on a $4000/yr bill mind you.

Do people not think that this $5000/yr could service $70,000 o
morgtgage to live closer and ride to work? That's not including parkin
and other car costs, that $200K bargain in the outer-outer suburb
doesn't look so cheap anymore!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2862,00.html

PiledHIghe

--
PiledHigher

Old August 25th 05, 12:02 AM
flyingdutch

PiledHigher Wrote:

... that $200K bargain in the outer-outer suburbs doesn't look so chea
anymore!

yes, but that McMansion is SO desirable

why involve myself with my neighbours or have friends when I can bur
myself in a fortress (with no eaves) making a feature of the garag
tacked onto front/side and I can hide in my 'home theatre' room with m
widescreen idjiot box and learn of all those strange things like 'othe
places'??? Better yet, i dont want my fat lil' feckers to get a cold s
into the PRado we go to netball, auskick, remedial maths lessons an
wonder why it doesnt all add up. grrrrr

... why did they outlaw semi-automatics again??? take me now...

--
flyingdutch

Old August 25th 05, 12:14 AM
sinus

PiledHigher Wrote:

Do people not think that this $5000/yr could service $70,000 o
morgtgage to live closer and ride to work? That's not including parkin
and other car costs, that $200K bargain in the outer-outer suburb
doesn't look so cheap anymore

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. Otherwise they will all start looking fo
houses closer and prices will go up again

--
sinus

Old August 25th 05, 12:16 AM
EuanB

PiledHigher Wrote:
IN the article today the Hun was talking about how petrol prices ha
gone up and some commuters may be paying $1000 more a year for ther
commute alone, on a $4000/yr bill mind you.

Do people not think that this $5000/yr could service $70,000 o
morgtgage to live closer and ride to work? That's not including parkin
and other car costs, that $200K bargain in the outer-outer suburb
doesn't look so cheap anymore

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E2862,00.htm

PiledHIgher

Ah but it's all about quality of life, open spaces and five minute
walk to the nearest neighbour :rolleyes

I've got friends who live in Hampton and they BOTH own cars even thoug
one of them works in the city. His logic? I need the car to drive t
Middle Brighton 'cause that's a zone one station and the Hampto
station's zone 2.'' (that station being a ten minute walk from th
house

--
EuanB

Old August 25th 05, 12:44 AM
Peter McCallum

PiledHigher wrote:

IN the article today the Hun was talking about how petrol prices had gone
up and some commuters may be paying $1000 more a year for there commute
alone, on a $4000/yr bill mind you.

Do people not think that this $5000/yr could service $70,000 of morgtgage
to live closer and ride to work? That's not including parking and other
car costs, that $200K bargain in the outer-outer suburbs doesn't look so
cheap anymore!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...375059%255E286
2,00.html

PiledHIgher

As I said last week .... http://tinyurl.com/95da5
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old August 25th 05, 12:56 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-08-24, EuanB wrote:
I've got friends who live in Hampton and they BOTH own cars even though
one of them works in the city. His logic? I need the car to drive to
Middle Brighton 'cause that's a zone one station and the Hampton
station's zone 2.'' (that station being a ten minute walk from the
house.

*snort*

By the time he adds up the cost of the petrol, he's spending more than
he's saving. I'm just as happy on the outer edges of zone 2.

Although he *could* ride his bike to zone 1 ...

Old August 25th 05, 01:25 AM
EuanB

On 2005-08-24, EuanB
wrote
I've got friends who live in Hampton and they BOTH own cars eve

thoug
one of them works in the city. His logic? I need the car to drive t
Middle Brighton 'cause that's a zone one station and the Hampto
station's zone 2.'' (that station being a ten minute walk from th
house

*snort

By the time he adds up the cost of the petrol, he's spending more tha
he's saving. I'm just as happy on the outer edges of zone 2

Although he *could* ride his bike to zone 1 ..

-
My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me
an

Quite, but do you think he'll even listen to that? The zone 1 thing i
just an excuse, he's an intelligent bloke and he knows deep down tha
it's a crock of **** but there's this thing about owning a car an
therefore having freedom. It's an ego thing with him, take away th
zone 1 compared to zone 2 thing and he'll find another excuse, prett
much as Bleve outlined a couple of day ago

He is getting worried about his fitness though, might see if I can ge
him to participate in Ride to Work day. I can pick him up on the wa
in

--
EuanB

Old August 25th 05, 02:15 AM
Shabby

EuanB Wrote:
Ah but it's all about quality of life, open spaces and five minutes wal
to the nearest neighbour

I've got friends who live in Hampton and they BOTH own cars even thoug
one of them works in the city. His logic? I need the car to drive t
Middle Brighton 'cause that's a zone one station and the Hampto
station's zone 2.'' (that station being a ten minute walk from th
house.

I think you need to be more honest with your friends Euan. Try thi
phrase: "No, you don't actually need another car, you're just a laz
c*nt".

My inner city lifestyle would be complete if I had a good LBS

--
Shabby

Old August 25th 05, 02:40 AM
SomeGuy

EuanB Wrote:
I need the car to drive to Middle Brighton 'cause that's a zone on
station and the Hampton station's zone 2.'' (that station being a te
minute walk from the house.

Not that it'll make any difference but: Middle Brighton is a Zone 1/
station. Both zone one and two tickets are valid, so all he needs is
Zone 2 ticket - which is even cheaper than a Zone 1 at $2.30 for a tw
hour

--
SomeGuy

Old August 25th 05, 03:02 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-08-25, SomeGuy wrote:

EuanB Wrote:
I need the car to drive to Middle Brighton 'cause that's a zone one
station and the Hampton station's zone 2.'' (that station being a ten
minute walk from the house.

Not that it'll make any difference but: Middle Brighton is a Zone 1/2
station. Both zone one and two tickets are valid, so all he needs is a
Zone 2 ticket - which is even cheaper than a Zone 1 at $2.30 for a two
hour.

You're misunderstanding. Middle Brighton is one of the crossover
stations, where both zones are valid. Hamptom, where he would otherwise
start, is zone 2 -- only zone 2 tickets are valid. His destination is in
the CBD -- zone 1. So by travelling to Middle Brighton, he's saving the
cost of the zone 2 component.

Mind you, it's by spending a lot more on petrol and maintenance, but
still ...

[OT] Petrol Zog The Undeniable UK 55 September 19th 05 11:19 AM
Petrol Price Gloat PiledHigher Australia 109 April 18th 05 09:19 AM
hybrid cars and bikes Rob F. in Houston General 51 January 2nd 04 01:27 AM
Shimano USA - Price Too High? Stuart J. Armour Techniques 44 November 4th 03 02:30 PM
2000 Bianchi Veloce (new): What is the going price now? - Help John Koutsoupis Racing 0 August 27th 03 03:51 AM