22 Sept. No petrol day

Old September 19th 05, 03:18 PM
TimC

Default 22 Sept. No petrol day

On 2005-09-19, dave (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:

When will computers be sold with costs including disposal of the
computer? I somehow fear what will become of those 5 monitors parked
outside someone's house on council rubbish day last week.

Well for what its worth Tim Boonadara has now free computer recycling
I have contributed a few dozen

There's also Computerbank. But once the very old machines being
donated there become useless even to the underpriveleged, it will be
the underpriveleged who bear the costs associated with disposal (even
if it is just a taxi ride to the recycle centre). Most computers
these days are just shipped off to poorer lands in Asia, and given to
the locals to deal with as scrap. I just wish whoever was in a
position to do so would hurry up with that plan to force computer
manufacturers to factor in the costs of safe disposal/recycling into
their deals.

--
TimC
I've told them and told them: Temporal anomalies are different from
Old September 19th 05, 10:25 PM
dave

On 2005-09-19, dave (aka Bruce)

TimC wrote:

When will computers be sold with costs including disposal of the
computer? I somehow fear what will become of those 5 monitors parked
outside someone's house on council rubbish day last week.

Well for what its worth Tim Boonadara has now free computer recycling
I have contributed a few dozen

There's also Computerbank. But once the very old machines being
donated there become useless even to the underpriveleged, it will be
the underpriveleged who bear the costs associated with disposal (even
if it is just a taxi ride to the recycle centre). Most computers
these days are just shipped off to poorer lands in Asia, and given to
the locals to deal with as scrap. I just wish whoever was in a
position to do so would hurry up with that plan to force computer
manufacturers to factor in the costs of safe disposal/recycling into
their deals.

Hmmm. I was under the impression that Computerbank will now only take
P2s and above. Shame as I have a bunch of perfectly good 133s

I am told the Boonadara scheme is proper recycling. There is money in
the things. They are a money making resource worth millions if
approached right.

Old September 20th 05, 01:16 AM
Terry Collins

TimC wrote:
and came out and it
was ****ing down rain. No idea what the weather was doing

Somewhere, sometime in a $2 shop I once saw a yellow plastic rain cape
that was the size of a couple of cakes of soap when folded new[1],
lightweigh. Would be handy in cases like this, but of course it is just
another thing to cart around on the bicycle just in case.

[1] yes, buy a few and use them for something else afterwards because
you can never ever get them that flat and small again.
Old September 20th 05, 01:23 AM
Terry Collins

dave wrote:

Hmmm. I was under the impression that Computerbank will now only take
P2s and above. Shame as I have a bunch of perfectly good 133s

For Computerbank Sydney, this is the case. Unfortunately most recipients
like GUIs and modern incantations of Linux don't run too well in GUI
with a CPU under 1KHz and there is a very definite limit to the number
of routers, mail and web servers

Then on top of a cludgy old box[#}, you have a decrepit old monitor or
two to dispose of as well.

I am told the Boonadara scheme is proper recycling. There is money in
the things. They are a money making resource worth millions if
approached right.

I think part of the money is in charging people to dispose of them
ethically "well that is toxic waste there and we charge $10 per monitor"

And sadly, non of the disposal places are within bicycling distance
either so I can use them as a reason to go for a ride (trailer).

[#] Its okay, of my 17 computers here, only 3 are Pentium.
Old September 20th 05, 01:36 AM
Theo Bekkers

Terry Collins wrote:
TimC wrote:
and came out and it
was ****ing down rain. No idea what the weather was doing

Somewhere, sometime in a $2 shop I once saw a yellow plastic rain cape
that was the size of a couple of cakes of soap when folded new[1],
lightweigh. Would be handy in cases like this, but of course it is
just another thing to cart around on the bicycle just in case.

I was taking a detour to work along the beach near Scarborough once when the
weather started to look very dark. It was so eery that I stopped by the side
of the road to watch the storm come in. Right where I stopped there was a
Taft yachties storm jacket lying in the grass. I happily wore it to work and
stayed fairly dry. I've still got the jacket.

Theo

Old September 20th 05, 02:34 AM
Theo Bekkers

On 2005-09-19, Theo Bekkers wrote
dtmeister wrote:

Surely he is entitled to buy the vehicle he wants and can afford.

Well actually, in a perfect world, he would be fully paying for the
use of the vehicle, instead of having it subsidised by current and
future generations.

I doubt it would then be so affordable to him then.

The car is, of course, a company car. The ML350 is around $98K including
Luxury car tax. This tax is payable on top of the GST and is levied at 25%
of the value of the vehicle over $55K. So, of the $98K price tag, About $10K
is GST and another $10K is LCT. Of course the GST is refunded to the company
by the ATO. There is a further $19K per annum FBT payable on the vehicle.

As to the cost to future generations, how do you calculate that? I read a
report recently that the world's oil is going to run out in less than 15
years. When was it published? 1884, one year before the first car drove on
the roads.

Fuel consumption is a little higher than the C180 but comaprable or better
than a Falcadore.
Trade-in prices are interesting. We are replacing two cars at the moment,
the 3 yr old C180, cost $56K, trade $40K, and a 5 yr old Hyundai Grandeur
XG, cost $38K trade $8K. Hmmmm.

I still consider his driving "theft" from said future generations, to
the answer to your statement/question "Surely he is entitled to buy
the vehicle he wants and can afford" is surely "no"?

Please tell me a price for any vehicle that would not be "theft" from future
generations. Or to be fair to our children we should (and force them to)
walk. Doesn't seem fair to use all that rubber and steel on bicycles.

When will computers be sold with costs including disposal of the
computer? I somehow fear what will become of those 5 monitors parked
outside someone's house on council rubbish day last week.

We give our old computers to Computer Angels, a non-profit organisation, we
also sponsor them for $100 a month. They pick up.

Theo

Old September 20th 05, 02:36 AM
TimC

On 2005-09-20, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)
dave wrote:

Hmmm. I was under the impression that Computerbank will now only take
P2s and above. Shame as I have a bunch of perfectly good 133s

For Computerbank Sydney, this is the case. Unfortunately most recipients
like GUIs and modern incantations of Linux don't run too well in GUI
with a CPU under 1KHz and there is a very definite limit to the number
of routers, mail and web servers

Wow. GEOS on my C=128, running at 1MHz was pretty slow. I'd hate to
see it running at 1kHz

500Mhz is good enough for anyone.

Then on top of a cludgy old box[#}, you have a decrepit old monitor or
two to dispose of as well.

Large CRT's can be had quite easily these days, as all companies move
to LCD. Bit of a waste really.

I've got two 20" fixed freq SGI monitors (nice trinitron displays),
that virtually no one would know how to drive properly. I've even got
it working on the console for one of my computers (where I could work
out the framebuffer device). They'd be a bitch to replace though, on
the bike as you say, and one of them is failing (the others sparks
occasionally, but I've put that down to cat hair, because the cat
sleeps on top of it).

[#] Its okay, of my 17 computers here, only 3 are Pentium.

Does that include the Cray Y-MP EL?

--
TimC
cpu time/usefulness ratio too high -- core dumped.
Old September 20th 05, 02:37 AM
Theo Bekkers

dtmeister wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

You're comparing Ford technology to Mercedes technology?

Actually, I was thinking more about the points on the psychology
behind the choice..

How are you able to judge that?

Surely he is entitled to buy the vehicle he wants and can afford. He
also has two quite nice bicycles, one with a dual kiddie trailer.
How much did you spend on your bicycle(s). and how do you
cost-jusify that?

I don't care how/why/if he can justify the cost. I was wondering if
he had any thoughts regarding the social and environmental impact of
this particular choice?

As against buying a Commodore or a Getz? Pretty much the same thought you
had when you bought a $2000 bicycle rather than a $200 one.

Theo

Old September 20th 05, 02:40 AM
Theo Bekkers

Bob wrote:
"PiledHigher" wrote

With that much to compensate for I surprised that he is capable of
making a baby!

Very cutting.

Mercedes-Benz C180K
1.8L, 4cyl, 105KW, $56,990 (yes this is the Australian price
http://tinyurl.com/durtj )

Hardly sounds like he is even trying to compensate for anything. What
is it about people's perception of Mercedes? That's cheaper than a
Monaro and a Landcruiser.

Cost of owning it is considerably less. Depreciation on the C180 after three
years is $16K. A Commodore depreciates that much in two.

Theo

Old September 20th 05, 02:47 AM
Theo Bekkers

Resound wrote:
"Theo Bekkers" wrote
You're comparing Ford technology to Mercedes technology?

I think he's comparing people who are convinced that they need a 2+
tonne offroad vehicle to commute in an urban environment to those who
choose more according to their actual needs.

Like a 1600 kg Commodore?
So do you really need more than a $200 bicycle?

Oh, and where does he park?

In his assigned bay in the company carpark, of course. Right next to my ute.

Surely he is entitled to buy the vehicle he wants and can afford. He
also has two quite nice bicycles, one with a dual kiddie trailer.
How much did you spend on your bicycle(s). and how do you
cost-jusify that?

$999 for the OCR3 and $10 for the fixie plus sundries.

****, I paid $1900 for my Conti Galli-Pro in 1987. But I just couldn't
resist upgrading the pedals to Superbe Pro a few months later. Those pedals
are, well, superb.

Theo