all things poseur

Old February 10th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Cicero Venatio

Default all things poseur

Looking at the definitions of a "Fred" and a "poseur" and it is hard for
me to see how you are either one or the other. What would you call
someone that is neither, and how would define what must be a very skinny
area in between the two?

On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
have ever encountered.
Old February 10th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Cicero Venatio wrote:
On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
have ever encountered.

Dumbass,

Check out Sandy's thread if you want tips on how
to troll.

Bob Schwartz
Old February 10th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 05:42:33 -0700, Cicero Venatio
wrote:

On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
have ever encountered.

Cycling etiquette boils down to 1) hold your line and 2) don't tap
your brakes when it is stupid and uncalled for especially 3) going up
a really steep climb. There is a corollary to 1) that involves blowing
your nose in a pack. Otherwise, until you're pro and need the LANCE
guide to Omerta, that should do you.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 10th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Cicero Venatio wrote:
Looking at the definitions of a "Fred" and a "poseur" and it is hard
for me to see how you are either one or the other. What would you
call someone that is neither, and how would define what must be a
very skinny area in between the two?

On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
have ever encountered.

When I think of a cycling Fred, I don't include pretensions - a poseur
is, by definition, trying to be something he's not. The useage of Fred
has varied widely - I go for the old-fashioned version, the guy who
commutes to work three miles each way and then rides his commuter bike
in the Saturday morning hammerfest - or something along those lines.
IOW, a Fred is an amateur and a poseur is a wanna-be pro.

-S-

Old February 10th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
Cicero Venatio wrote:
Looking at the definitions of a "Fred" and a "poseur" and it is hard
for me to see how you are either one or the other. What would you
call someone that is neither, and how would define what must be a
very skinny area in between the two?

On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
have ever encountered.

When I think of a cycling Fred, I don't include pretensions - a poseur is,
by definition, trying to be something he's not. The useage of Fred has
varied widely - I go for the old-fashioned version, the guy who commutes
to work three miles each way and then rides his commuter bike in the
Saturday morning hammerfest - or something along those lines. IOW, a Fred
is an amateur and a poseur is a wanna-be pro.

Dumbass -

Pros can be Freds.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Old February 11th 10, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Cicero Venatio wrote:
[...]

Dumby -

I said, "The useage of Fred has varied widely ..." You're using it
differently than I am. My Freds aren't pro's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)

Or see this one - it's got two definitions, basically yours and mine.

http://www.bicyclesource.com/bicycling_glossary#fred

You're welcome.

-S-

Old February 11th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Cicero Venatio wrote:
[...]

You're entitled to your own wrong opinion.

The definitive work on "Fred" is not from wikipedia, but
by Gianni Vertool in RBR:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...f4181faa?hl=en

Ben

Old February 11th 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
thecoz11

On Feb 10, 6:42*am, Cicero Venatio wrote:
Looking at the definitions of a "Fred" and a "poseur" and it is hard for
me to see how you are either one or the other. *What would you call
someone that is neither, and how would define what must be a very skinny
area in between the two?

On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
have ever encountered.

Simple answer: Kurgan Gringinoi presented by Dumbass
Coz
Old February 11th 10, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger[_8_]

Cicero Venatio wrote:
[...]

God damn. I've got it bad.
Old February 11th 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
heather

wrote:

The definitive work on "Fred" is not from wikipedia, but
by Gianni Vertool in RBR:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...f4181faa?hl=en

Ben

I have to believe that Gianni would make a good coach. I've read that
post before, but just re-reading it now for fun had me subconsciously
vowing to become BetterSmarterHarder, (etc).

hh

Ode to A Poseur Doug Taylor Techniques 9 May 24th 08 03:04 AM
Le Poseur Ozark Bicycle Techniques 42 June 22nd 07 04:31 AM
Le Poseur Ozark Bicycle Rides 42 June 22nd 07 04:31 AM
Le Poseur Ozark Bicycle Techniques 13 June 22nd 07 01:00 AM
Le Poseur Ozark Bicycle Marketplace 36 June 21st 07 03:09 PM