Chain lube

Old October 19th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Chain lube

Thought some might find this interesting. I hadn't seen it before.

http://www.engineersparadise.com/en/ipar/31882

Looks like a jockey wheel that dispenses a graphite based chain lube,
though I'm not 100% sure on the dispensing method. Maybe the jockey
wheel itself erodes and is the lubricant?

Neat idea. Expensive lube @ 20 EUR each. Each jockey wheel lasts
2000km? 40 bucks in lube for the life of a chain seems excessive to me.

--
JS.
Old October 19th 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

a winner if the graphite is hydrophobic/dirtphobic at a shedding level.
feeding fresh lube or fresh STP/polymer oooze by oooze is hi efficiency non friction. always weight/flow control problem(s)

high on the Col as a snow shower moved in, Jockoo's lubricating pulley wheel shattered....
Old October 19th 12, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:15:30 +1100, James
wrote:

Thought some might find this interesting. I hadn't seen it before.

http://www.engineersparadise.com/en/ipar/31882

Looks like a jockey wheel that dispenses a graphite based chain lube,
though I'm not 100% sure on the dispensing method. Maybe the jockey
wheel itself erodes and is the lubricant?

Neat idea. Expensive lube @ 20 EUR each. Each jockey wheel lasts
2000km? 40 bucks in lube for the life of a chain seems excessive to me.

There is a description under "functioning" that makes it appear as the
jockey wheel is the lubricant.
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 19th 12, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 19 Oct, 02:15, James wrote:
Thought some might find this interesting. *I hadn't seen it before.

http://www.engineersparadise.com/en/ipar/31882

Looks like a jockey wheel that dispenses a graphite based chain lube,
though I'm not 100% sure on the dispensing method. *Maybe the jockey
wheel itself erodes and is the lubricant?

Neat idea. *Expensive lube @ 20 EUR each. *Each jockey wheel lasts
2000km? *40 bucks in lube for the life of a chain seems excessive to me..

--
JS.

Yeah it's excessive, but so is a carbon-fibre chainset. It will
appeal to those who have money to throw away on "sparkle" (black being
the new chrome). I see this perhaps most useful for time-trial
fanatics who do believe the hype. It's a solution for the easily
led.
Old October 19th 12, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

There is a description under "functioning" that makes it appear as the

jockey wheel is the lubricant...

WHO would know ? buy 2....

cheap pullets are a 'thing of the past'

I'll take a look at 10:16...maybe grown facial hair over night ?

The kit contains:

one pulley
one can WD-40
Old October 19th 12, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:53:47 +0700, John B. wrote:

Thought some might find this interesting. I hadn't seen it before.

http://www.engineersparadise.com/en/ipar/31882

Looks like a jockey wheel that dispenses a graphite based chain lube,
though I'm not 100% sure on the dispensing method. Maybe the jockey
wheel itself erodes and is the lubricant?

Neat idea. Expensive lube @ 20 EUR each. Each jockey wheel lasts
2000km? 40 bucks in lube for the life of a chain seems excessive to me.

There is a description under "functioning" that makes it appear as the
jockey wheel is the lubricant.

Yes. It's a jockey wheel made of some form of graphite lube.

But is it snake oil?
--
davethedave
Old October 19th 12, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 19 Oct, 14:37, davethedave wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:53:47 +0700, John B. wrote:
Thought some might find this interesting. *I hadn't seen it before.

http://www.engineersparadise.com/en/ipar/31882

Looks like a jockey wheel that dispenses a graphite based chain lube,
though I'm not 100% sure on the dispensing method. *Maybe the jockey
wheel itself erodes and is the lubricant?

Neat idea. *Expensive lube @ 20 EUR each. *Each jockey wheel lasts
2000km? *40 bucks in lube for the life of a chain seems excessive to me.

There is a description under "functioning" that makes it appear as the
jockey wheel is the lubricant.

Yes. It's a jockey wheel made of some form of graphite lube.

But is it snake oil?

You'll be better with coconut oil for oiling your "snake". The raw
can be overpowering in aroma, the refined is cheaper and just as good
for the primary intent.

--
davethedave

Old October 20th 12, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

I'm working with the 'wax lube system' posted dpown the sheet.

poster wrote 'yowsah that's expensive' regarding FL dry lube on rollers but that;s but a dab dab dab placed onto infrequently.

But did the sideplates with FL today. Use on finger. Lube finger tip. Place finger with bulb lube atop the sideplate sige alonsdie but bulb atop, lower chain run then slide along. Bulb runs down onto plates.
Very sparing tho backhanding for the front side lower run is awkward.
Old October 20th 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 04:13:12 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six
wrote:

On 19 Oct, 02:15, James wrote:
Thought some might find this interesting. *I hadn't seen it before.

http://www.engineersparadise.com/en/ipar/31882

Looks like a jockey wheel that dispenses a graphite based chain lube,
though I'm not 100% sure on the dispensing method. *Maybe the jockey
wheel itself erodes and is the lubricant?

Neat idea. *Expensive lube @ 20 EUR each. *Each jockey wheel lasts
2000km? *40 bucks in lube for the life of a chain seems excessive to me.

--
JS.

Yeah it's excessive, but so is a carbon-fibre chainset. It will
appeal to those who have money to throw away on "sparkle" (black being
the new chrome). I see this perhaps most useful for time-trial
fanatics who do believe the hype. It's a solution for the easily
led.

Ah but many strange things have been tried. I seem to remember some
sort of super bearing that when used in the "pulleys" of a derailer
was supposed to produce an astounding increase in useful force applied
to the cassette :-)
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 20th 12, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:37:52 +0300, davethedave
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:53:47 +0700, John B. wrote:

Thought some might find this interesting. I hadn't seen it before.

http://www.engineersparadise.com/en/ipar/31882

Looks like a jockey wheel that dispenses a graphite based chain lube,
though I'm not 100% sure on the dispensing method. Maybe the jockey
wheel itself erodes and is the lubricant?

Neat idea. Expensive lube @ 20 EUR each. Each jockey wheel lasts
2000km? 40 bucks in lube for the life of a chain seems excessive to me.

There is a description under "functioning" that makes it appear as the
jockey wheel is the lubricant.

Yes. It's a jockey wheel made of some form of graphite lube.

But is it snake oil?

Well, the study that Frank posted showed something like 2083 miles to
produce 1mm of wear in approximately 150 cm (1500 mm) of chain.

If Sheldon or Brandt are correct in that 0.5% is the safe limit of
chain wear and if the wear is linear then it would appear that with
conventional methods of chain lube that chain life should be in the
neighborhood of 15,000 miles.

Does the lubricating jockey wheel produce the same or increased chain
life, or does the ease of use appeal to the rider sufficiently to
encourage the expenditure of money. If so then it is not "snake oil".
--
Cheers,
John B.

Dry Chain Lube? !Jones[_3_] Techniques 5 June 13th 08 04:10 AM
New chain... Need to lube? Artoi Techniques 25 January 14th 07 08:07 PM
chain lube Mark-T General 8 February 15th 06 09:37 PM
Chain lube Si UK 13 August 20th 05 07:24 AM
Chain lube Jim Techniques 12 December 4th 04 05:53 PM