RANS Force 5 update

Old February 4th 04, 11:59 PM
Tom Sherman

Default RANS Force 5 update

http://www.ransbikes.com/ITRForce5II.htm

Wisely RANS has decided to dimension the frame to accept both ISO 559-mm
and ISO 571-mm wheels (although they seem to think there is a "559c"
wheel size.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Old February 5th 04, 10:04 AM
Tom Sherman

bentbiker wrote:

says that the brakes probably wouldn't reach though.

The Force 5 uses sidepull caliper brakes. As I understand the RANS web
page, the limiting factor will be the tire size that will fit within the
"arch" of the brake - typically around 40-mm for a normal reach sidepull.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Old February 5th 04, 12:10 PM
bentbiker

width might be a problem, also reach. Typically standard calipers do not
have enough range to fit both 650/559 wheels. Quality long reach
calipers are not as widely available today.

Old February 5th 04, 10:53 PM
Jeff Wills

"Bryan Ball" wrote in message ...
A Shimano 105 dual pivot with the longer arms should work.

*Just* to be finicky: there's no "105" long-reach dual-pivot caliper
now available. Shimano makes two long-reach calipers: the A550 grade
and the R600 grade. These correspond to one step below "105" grade
(old RX-100) and to "Ultegra" grade. Here's some additional
references:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#calipers
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=BR0610
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=BR0611

I'm not sure any of these would allow ISO 559 wheels and ISO 571
wheels on the same frame and brake caliper. The brake mounting would
have to be awfully exact to allow this to happen, and the brake shoes
would need to be at the ends of the adjustment slots.

There's another option- apparently the Kogswell folks have found a
dual-pivot brake with more adjustment than the others. It's tough to
find, so here's a quote from http://kogswell.com/order2.html :

"Derailleur Frameset: Oops, I did it again. When I spec'd these
frames, I did my best to set them up so that they could be used with
the Tektro and Shimano brakes that have 47 to 57 millimeters of reach.
This is a popular setup right now because it affords lots of tire and
fender clearance. And the builder tried to get the frames built
right, but in the end they set them up so that the brake pads reach
the very top of a 700C rim. That's just too close for my comfort.
But, luckily, the new longer reach brakes have come to the rescue.
They fit just fine and allow for lots of adjustment."

Happy braking.

Jeff
Old February 6th 04, 12:34 AM
Bryan Ball

I'm fairly certain that they also make a 105 version. At least the did the
last time I had a "Quality" wholesaler catalog.

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
om...

Old February 6th 04, 10:07 PM
Rick Steele

"Bryan Ball" wrote
I'm fairly certain that they also make a 105 version. At least the did

the
last time I had a "Quality" wholesaler catalog.

Just checked! Shimano's BR-A550 with 47-57mm reach are priced below the
105's so I would suspect the quality is a step down. However, the BR-R600
with 47-57mm reach is priced near the same as Ultegra and I would suspect it
to be of similar quality.

--
Rick Steele

Gold Country Cyclery
Cameron Park, CA 95682
http://www.tandems-recumbents.com

Old February 6th 04, 11:49 PM
Wheel Doctor

Hi Rick,
My thoughts also. I have a set of the BR-R600 and they are identical to
the BR-6500 Ultegra cept for the longer reach. These went on a repainted mid
70's custom frame made by Proteus of College Park, MD. The original frame
was built for 27" wheels. The longer reach will allow for the use of 700c
wheels.

Jude

"Bryan Ball" wrote