Are cyclists that dim?

Old August 10th 12, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Default Are cyclists that dim?

Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles
warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Are cyclists really that dim?

Should all power points have a sign saying 'do not stick your finger in
here'?

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old August 10th 12, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 10/08/2012 16:36, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles
warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Are cyclists really that dim?

Should all power points have a sign saying 'do not stick your finger in
here'?

Not all of them, but I saw a similar sign on a bus in Wales recently.
Old August 10th 12, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Aug 10, 4:36*pm, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:
Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles
warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Are cyclists really that dim?

That may be useful where children, or others without experience with
cycling in the vicinity of large vehicles, are present. It took me at
least three close calls until my instict correctly responded to make
me have a healthy fear of close riding with large vehicles.
Previously, as a child, I dutifully followed my training. Although
the reasons why were explained, when engaged with traffic, the value
of training is lost as attention is applied to seemingly more pressing
needs, such as making adequate progress, something not always easy
with such a small engine. I believe it is hel;pful that cyclists are
reminded not to get in the thick of it with large goods vehicles.

Should all power points have a sign saying 'do not stick your finger in
here'?

That may be useful where children, or others without experience with
electricity, are present.
Old August 10th 12, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:36:39 +0100, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles
warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Are cyclists really that dim?

Should all power points have a sign saying 'do not stick your finger in
here'?

I'd have thought a handyman would know about these:
https://www.macbuildingproducts.com/...05PLUGSAFE.gif
Old August 10th 12, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marie

wrote:

Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles

warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Are cyclists really that dim?

Should all power points have a sign saying 'do not stick your finger in

here'?

I'd have thought a handyman would know about these:

https://www.macbuildingproducts.com/...05PLUGSAFE.gif

I'm sure if you ask nicely he'll explain to you how they are used.
Old August 10th 12, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Tony Dragon wrote:
On 10/08/2012 16:36, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles
warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Are cyclists really that dim?

Should all power points have a sign saying 'do not stick your finger
in here'?

Not all of them, but I saw a similar sign on a bus in Wales recently.

There used to be stickers for the back of lorries that had an arrow to the
right saying overtakers, and one to the left saying undertakers, with a
picture of a coffin.

Old August 10th 12, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:
Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles
warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Another helpful road sign
Old August 10th 12, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:
Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles
warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Another helpful road sign:-

http://www.funny-games.biz/images/pi...ike-vs-car.jpg

Old August 10th 12, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 10/08/2012 18:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
On 10/08/2012 16:36, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
Local haulage firm have fixed signs to the back of all their vehicles
warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.

Are cyclists really that dim?

Should all power points have a sign saying 'do not stick your finger
in here'?

Not all of them, but I saw a similar sign on a bus in Wales recently.

There used to be stickers for the back of lorries that had an arrow to the
right saying overtakers, and one to the left saying undertakers, with a
picture of a coffin.

Yes I remember them, I have also seen a 'no entry' sign on the left & a
'keep right' sign on the right.
Old August 10th 12, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 10/08/2012 17:30, thirty-six wrote:

Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

[...]

Possibly, though the impression I gain of what the PP was saying was that he
thought that sockets should each have a warning sign along the lines:

"CYCLISTS - danger - do not insert any of your fingers into any of this
outlet's apertures."

Then perhaps a small-print rider:

"Yes, it is true that the power generation and transmission companies, as
well as your retail provider, are bringing all the danger to the situation.
But everyone else seems to appreciate the danger without having to have it
spelled out for them."