Handlebar grips

Old July 15th 03, 03:19 PM
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Default Handlebar grips

Bill wrote:
It's no good, I can't do it. I've pushed and pulled, sweated and
cursed, but I cannot get my handlebar grips off my cheapie mountain
bike. All I want to do is chop the bars down a couple of inches each
end.

I am trying to do it without damaging them. Guess the next stage is
wrap them in rag and get a pipe wrench on them.

Dipped them in boiling water?

Old July 15th 03, 03:27 PM
Dave Larrington

Bill wrote:

It's no good, I can't do it. I've pushed and pulled, sweated and
cursed, but I cannot get my handlebar grips off my cheapie mountain
bike. All I want to do is chop the bars down a couple of inches each
end.

I am trying to do it without damaging them. Guess the next stage is
wrap them in rag and get a pipe wrench on them.

Have you tried rolling them up from one end? Alternatively, squirting
water, washing-up liquid or melted Lard between grips and bars from a
syringe may remove enough gription to allow 'em to be hauled off.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old July 15th 03, 03:37 PM
Hans Friedlaender

Bill schrieb:
It's no good, I can't do it. I've pushed and pulled, sweated and cursed,
but I cannot get my handlebar grips off my cheapie mountain bike. All I want
to do is chop the bars down a couple of inches each end.

I am trying to do it without damaging them. Guess the next stage is wrap
them in rag and get a pipe wrench on them.

Slide a thin screwdriver under them and pour in some water. After a few
moments they should slip off.

Hans, BTDT

--
Hans Friedlaender http://hans.friedlaender.org
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand

Old July 15th 03, 04:10 PM
Seamus

If it's a cheap mountain bike, they're likely to be rubbish handlebar
grips so it'd be no big loss to chop them off and replace with new

--
Seamus
Byke Kultuur Never at...

Old July 15th 03, 04:28 PM
Arthur Clune

Hans Friedlaender wrote:

: Slide a thin screwdriver under them and pour in some water. After a few
: moments they should slip off.

I squirt in GT85/WD40 or similar personally, but the basic idea is the
same.

Arhtur

Old July 15th 03, 06:12 PM
Bill

Bill wrote in message
It's no good, I can't do it. I've pushed and pulled, sweated and cursed,
but I cannot get my handlebar grips off my cheapie mountain bike. All I

want
to do is chop the bars down a couple of inches each end.

I am trying to do it without damaging them. Guess the next stage is wrap
them in rag and get a pipe wrench on them.

thanks for the tips all.

The screwdriver and WD40 did the trick.

I'm nearly 30 miles from the nearest bike shop which is why I wanted to
re-use them, even though they are cheapies.

Bill