solo 24 hr eating

Old May 7th 05, 11:02 AM
Brian MacKenzie

Default solo 24 hr eating

hey everyone, let's hear your eating stategy on a solo 24 please

--
Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
(HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*120* reviews on *77* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old May 7th 05, 11:05 AM
GizmoDuck

Eat lots

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

Old May 7th 05, 11:15 AM
U-Turn

Not a 24 h solo guy, but from long-distance backpacking:

Basically a long-distance backpacker uses over 6000 calories a day to
hike 20-30 miles a day over 3-6 months. The hard part is to eat enough.
My problem was that I got sick and tired of eating. The key is
variety, and lots of it.

One thing you might do is decide how many laps you want to do. Then
calculate how long they will take, and thus how long your breaks can be.
Then divide that by two to be aggressive. That will give you a feel
for how long you have at each stop. Then plan a series of (say, 20)
snacks of a reasonable size to eat in conjunction with toilet, naps,
water, uni fixes, and the like.

By having a better sense of pacing, you will know what's ahead when you
are in the middle of a lap and famished, and may be less likely to binge
during a given stop. In addition, you can adjust the snack size as you
go.

One of the best Iditasport riders believes in the principle of getting
the body into survival state _before_ the race starts, so the race isn't
a shock to the body. I think she actually starts a month early.
Something to think about, anyway.

Ken and Nathan, and others who have actually raced these will have more
pertinent comments, but that's my two cents.

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old May 7th 05, 11:16 AM
GizmoDuck

Ok, just kidding let me elaborate:

1. Eat a variety of foods. You'll be sick after your 10th Goo
Gel/banana/whatever
2. Make sure it's stuff you're used to eating. Don't experiment on the
day
3. Salty stuff tastes great when you've been munching on sickly sweet
goo gels and energy bars all day. Always keep a stash of crisps handy.
Pizza is a good powerfood too.
4. Easy stuff to chew- that's why I never use Powerbars. It will take
you a whole lap to down one
5. Hot food is great at 3am
6. Drink lots
7. Caffeine
8. Massage- Ok, nothing to do with food, but helps digestion
9. Have a slave handy. They need to put a blanky over you and cram
your mouth with food when you're too tired to think for yourself
10. I can't think of a 10th one yet, but it kind of looks unfinished
with only 9 eating strategies. Maybe the seafood diet. See Food. Eat
it.

I take it you're doing a 24hr Solo- that's great! 174km off road is the
mark to beat Good luck!

Ken

Old May 7th 05, 11:23 AM
GizmoDuck

U-Turn wrote:
*Not a 24 h solo guy, but from long-distance backpacking:

Basically a long-distance backpacker uses over 6000 calories a day to
hike 20-30 miles a day over 3-6 months. The hard part is to eat
enough. My problem was that I got sick and tired of eating. The key
is variety, and lots of it.
*

I guesstimate that you will need about 4 times as many
calories/kilojoules as you normally would during the day. You want to
make sure you have it all there at the start, don't send your support
crew to the supermarket midway through.

There are some useful tips on the 'RAAM'
(http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/) website

Old May 7th 05, 11:27 AM
U-Turn

GizmoDuck wrote:
*3. Salty stuff tastes great when you've been munching on sickly sweet
goo gels and energy bars all day. Always keep a stash of crisps
handy. Pizza is a good powerfood too.
*

One of my favorite backpacking foods is Fritos. The thick ones don't
break up into little bits, they have nice salt, and corn is a great
high-energy food.

Old May 7th 05, 12:17 PM
Brian MacKenzie

thanks guys! very informative, I wouldn't have thought about the 20
premade snacks, that's a great itea.

I think with this course I am doing, 100km would be a fantastic goal for
me to hit. It's very hilly, and technical, and it takes a lot out of
you on a 5 man relay team

Old May 7th 05, 01:25 PM
markf

from biking across the USA:
eat as much pasta the night before as possible. a huge meal 8-12 hours
before your event will help you start strong. if you have people who can
cook for you (like on laps or something) instant oatmeal is really good
and sweet and quick. fruit and nuts are also good. peanut butter on
bagels is heavenly and easy to eat. tour de france riders used to cut
turkey and cheese sandwiches into little squares and wrap them with wax
paper and stuff them in jersey pockets. tastes great and is good fuel.

basically, eat as much as you can, and keep it varied. also drink like
your always really thirsty. you'll pee a bit more but you'll perform
tons better. gatorade in bottles and water in the camel back is how i
got from oregon to boston, but i don't know how you'd do such a thing on
a coker. more info about the actual event might help the suggestions be
more specific.

ps. just watched TWNR, the UW36 on the stairs broke my brain.

--
markf - movie nerd

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Old May 7th 05, 06:06 PM
UniBrier

Save the malted beverage until after you're done.

I've never done 24 hrs but have done 200 miles by road bike in 12-13
hours and 120 miles in 12 hours (80 the next day) with a 50 lb tandem
and 60 lb kid stoker (time includes stops).

Besides the advice already given, my mantra is very frequent hydration
and fueling. I like a sport drink like Cytomax at about 20 oz per hour,
I don't like straight water. Don't eat to much at once but keep the
intake frequent enough that you never feel hunger. By then its too
late.

Train lots so your system is used to this type of hydration and
fueling.

Claus Larson mentioned buying cartons of chocolate milk to refuel on his
lower 48 ride. I don't think my system would have liked that.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek

Hop Drop & Roll

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old May 7th 05, 06:23 PM
Catboy

'TRY IT, IT WORKS...' (http://tinyurl.com/823u5)

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

MM Catboy (10:09:06 AM): what are you, gay?
Byrnetown (10:09:17 AM): yeah