Anyone here live in London?

Old August 26th 13, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

Default Anyone here live in London?

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

Old August 26th 13, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:21:48 +0100, Brian Robertson
wrote:

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

You are most welcome. The majority of inner London households (an area
(ONS definition) with a population of just under 3,000,000 in 2011)
are car free. With an average per capita GDP of very nearly twice the
national average, we can well afford to provide guests to our city
with bicycles as a cost effective, pleasant, safe and reliable means
of transport. And as so many people living in Inner London have no
need of a car, they can well afford the cost of this provision.
Old August 27th 13, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:21:48 +0100, Brian Robertson wrote:

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

How do you get to London: by cycle?

I bet you get free travel on the train don't you: having been a life long
employee of the railways.

Unless of course ..........
Old August 27th 13, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alexis

Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"Brian Robertson" wrote in message
If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my bike
for me....

That's OK. After all, cyclists pay taxes to build our lovely motorways, and
to maintain those B-roads for us to hoon around on. Every centimeter of
M25 costs more than your bicycle, not to mention the free parking and other
benefits enjoyed by motorists. I also genuinely don't mind paying towards
your bicycle, especially as it reduces congestion and makes my journeys
easier.

Happy story, group-hug, we're truly all in it together.

This is a positive attitude post.

--
"The state of our life is nothing more than a reflection of our state
of mind" - a positive outlook is a choice.
Old August 27th 13, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

wrote:

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

You are most welcome. The majority of inner London households (an area
(ONS definition) with a population of just under 3,000,000 in 2011)
are car free.

Could you provide a reference source for this.

Old August 27th 13, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

You are most welcome. The majority of inner London households (an area
(ONS definition) with a population of just under 3,000,000 in 2011)
are car free.

Could you provide a reference source for this.

Transport for London
Old August 27th 13, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

On 27/08/2013 09:33, Judith wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:21:48 +0100, Brian Robertson wrote:

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

How do you get to London: by cycle?

I bet you get free travel on the train don't you: having been a life long
employee of the railways.

Unless of course ..........

I drive there, you f'wit.
Old August 27th 13, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

How do you get to London: by cycle?

I bet you get free travel on the train don't you: having been a life long
employee of the railways.

Unless of course ..........

I drive there, you f'wit.

I thought bicycles were the only viable transport?
Old August 28th 13, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

wrote:

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer
knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I
use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

How do you get to London: by cycle?

I bet you get free travel on the train don't you: having been a life
long
employee of the railways.

Unless of course ..........

I drive there, you f'wit.

I thought bicycles were the only viable transport?

Please show me the thread where I said that cycling is the only viable
form of transport for everyone?
Old August 28th 13, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

If so, I just wanted to thank you. The generosity of the tax payer knows
no bounds.

Not only do the motorists of this country pay taxes to buy half of my
bike for me (including accessories), but the council tax payers of
London also pay £11m a year to subsidise the Boris bike scheme. I use it
regularly, pay peanuts, and I don't even live in London. I love such
generosity.

You are most welcome. The majority of inner London households (an area
(ONS definition) with a population of just under 3,000,000 in 2011)
are car free.

Could you provide a reference source for this.

I have now found the raw data from the 2011 census.
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publicatio...cm%3A77-286262

Scroll down to:
KS404EW
And download the Excel spreadsheet.