Grant Petersen / Rivendell on carbon forks

Old June 29th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Door zone

On Jun 29, 7:35*am, Coaster wrote:

Looking in the car's side mirror is a good way to see if someone is
sitting in the driver's seat.

Again, I'd never trust riding in the door zone because I couldn't see
someone in their side mirror. Sun glare, tinted windows, a slouching
occupant, etc. could all cause you to be killed.

And the mirror is a pretty small target for you to be scanning. ISTM
the mental load of checking every mirror you passed could seriously
distract you from hazards up ahead - which is where most hazards are.

Just don't ride in the door zone. It's so much simpler.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 4th 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Grant Petersen / Rivendell on carbon forks

On 6/23/2010 8:01 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
On 06/23/2010 08:03 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Nate wrote:
:On 06/22/2010 10:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank wrote:
: :On Jun 22, 8:01 pm, Nate wrote:
: :
: :
: : I forgot to mention, and should have posted it previously, another
: : reason that I use a torque wrench on my wheels is that Porsches
use
: : aluminum lug nuts.
:
: :Wow. To me, that sounds like another case of "lose a few grams, give
: :up the robustness, and damn the consequences."
:
: it's a porsche. The whole thing is an excuse to do stupid things.
:

:People who "do stupid things" mechanically should not own Porsches (or
:BMWs either.) They're pretty robust cars when maintained correctly, but

No, they're not. They're tempremental crap, same as the current
output of all the german car companies. They're full of excessively
complex solutions to non-problems.

That's your opinion, but my personal experience says otherwise. Only
major issue I've had with mine (and it'll qualify for "historic" tags
in another 3 years) has been with the ECM, which needed to be
resoldered a couple years ago. Other than that, just regular
maintenance stuff. The A/C quit working a little while ago, need to
get that fixed. Other than that, it's just a car. It is getting about
to that point where I feel like I ought to actually tear it down and
restore it, but I have faith that it'll last until I get a new company
car at least (my plan is to buy out my current one when it hits 70K,
I'm way too cheap to buy a new car) I probably *will* fix it up,
though, a Ch*vy is just not that engaging to drive.

some are, some (new ones 70s and later) aren't.

My employee just returned from a 30mi errand in mine. First experience
in a 2700lb car with a hot 283V8 left her suitably impressed.

On the other hand, my Nissan 4WD Frontier pickup has better steering,
braking, ride and handling than the standard 1960-1970's USian sedan,
which is saying a lot, considering it does ridiculously well off-road.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old July 4th 10, 11:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Nate wrote:
:On 06/22/2010 10:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank wrote:
: :On Jun 22, 8:01 pm, Nate wrote:
: :
: :
[...]

Not surprising, it being designed around and using radial tyres.

Old July 4th 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 07/04/2010 06:38 AM, thirty-six wrote:

Nate wrote:
:On 06/22/2010 10:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank wrote:
: :On Jun 22, 8:01 pm, Nate wrote:
: :
: :
[...]

Tires have improved dramatically over the years, but I'd also bet that
your average US sedan of the 60's actually handles better than it feels
like it does... that is, it feels very floppy and not at all confidence
inspiring, but I bet it still has higher ultimate cornering limits than
a 4WD truck (assuming modern tires are fitted.)

The problem is, someone, somewhere, convinced US buyers that a
full-sized car should ride like you were floating on marshmallows, and
nobody has yet introduced a car that can do that and not scrape its
doorhandles on a hard corner... There have been several attempts to
market "active suspensions" but for some reason they've never gained
great market penetration. Half-measures like adjustable damping and
self-leveling tend to get tossed for conventional springs and shocks as
soon as something fails due to the cost of replacement parts.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 4th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Nate *wrote:
:On 06/22/2010 10:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: *Frank *wrote:
: *:On Jun 22, 8:01 pm, Nate *wrote:
: *:
: *:
[...]

I thought Mercedes were able to do a good impression of that. An
Austin Hackney cab(forget which model) is also damn good.

There have been several attempts to
market "active suspensions" but for some reason they've never gained
great market penetration. *

Ah, Citreon BX

Half-measures like adjustable damping and
self-leveling tend to get tossed for conventional springs and shocks as
soon as something fails due to the cost of replacement parts.

Rubber tends to work well. Used on the old mini, some buses and on
military tanks.
Old July 4th 10, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Nate wrote:
:On 06/22/2010 10:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank wrote:
: :On Jun 22, 8:01 pm, Nate wrote:
: :
: :
[...]

I am not about to go out and find the limits of my truck on dry
pavement, but it still seems astounding that a 4WD truck is much more
pleasant to drive than many sedans.

The problem is, someone, somewhere, convinced US buyers that a
full-sized car should ride like you were floating on marshmallows, and
nobody has yet introduced a car that can do that and not scrape its
doorhandles on a hard corner... There have been several attempts to
market "active suspensions" but for some reason they've never gained
great market penetration. Half-measures like adjustable damping and
self-leveling tend to get tossed for conventional springs and shocks as
soon as something fails due to the cost of replacement parts.

My 2005 Civic EX is far from harsh riding, and while too soft for the
track, can be tossed around with abandon without complaint. It also has
the benefit of not attracting any attention.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old July 4th 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Nate wrote:
:On 06/22/2010 10:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank wrote:
: :On Jun 22, 8:01 pm, Nate wrote:
: :
: :
[...]

I have a Chevy 4WD truck and it's scary. I drove lots of 60's cars, from
pony cars with suspension packages to full-on lead sleds, they were all
scary compared to an 80's and beyond Honda.
Old July 5th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Nate wrote:
:On 06/22/2010 10:59 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank wrote:
: :On Jun 22, 8:01 pm, Nate wrote:
: :
: :
[...]

Did Honda make any serious cars before they came to England?

Rivendell's Grant Petersen Interviewed In Cycloculture Forbes B-Black General 0 August 19th 08 04:46 PM
Carbon forks again David E. Belcher UK 7 January 7th 06 09:39 AM
20" (406) carbon forks? cheg Recumbent Biking 0 July 13th 04 06:32 AM
Carbon Forks Uphill DownHill UK 1 February 22nd 04 10:15 AM
20" Carbon forks? rorschandt Recumbent Biking 10 July 19th 03 04:52 PM