Tires/pressures the pros use?

Old January 29th 05, 02:19 PM
RonSonic

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:51:16 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:06:26 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
Here is a more attractive way to improve the speed of an upright bicycle
during an hour record run:
http://poziome.republika.pl/obrazki/historia/1932_oscaregg_track.jpg.

If you look close you'll see that man is crying.

"That man" happens to be the great cyclist Oscar Egg.

An even greater offense to his dignity.

Ron

Old January 29th 05, 03:08 PM
Tom Sherman

Peter Chisholm wrote:

And I say, fair point but this and a lot else about bicycles-stiffness,
aerodynamics, materials, etc, etc, etc, are lost in the noise by us .5 century
and .1 offa ton riders. Marketing departments are good at pointing at this
stuff for this type of rider with great results but what it really does is
makes things more expensive and less useful. We got a tire from Vittoria
yesterday, the one you can turn around and fercrisssakes, it's over $80!!!!!....

For $80 I can get a name brand "H" speed rated tire for my car.

I can get quality tires for my bikes and trike for $20-30 each.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old January 29th 05, 06:20 PM
dianne_1234

On 29 Jan 2005 14:03:22 GMT, (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

dianne- Speaking of Lance and the Hour Record...
http://nytimes.com/2005/01/24/business/24bike.html BRBR

I saw this and wonder why he would come to the Colorado Springs Velodrome.
Altho at altitude, it is not known as a particularly fast track.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Agreed, but where else? LA's ADT Event Center comes to mind. Or
Manchester, as Boardman and others did.

http://www.homedepotcenter.com/venue...tompageid=6773
http://www.manchestervelodrome.com/

Has Lance ever ridden on the track? If not, it would seem Eki could
guide him initially. There's a wealth of track experience in his head
I'm sure!
Old January 29th 05, 08:18 PM

Campagnolo ) wrote:

dianne- Speaking of Lance and the Hour Record...
http://nytimes.com/2005/01/24/business/24bike.html BRBR

I saw this and wonder why he would come to the Colorado Springs Velodrome.
Altho at altitude, it is not known as a particularly fast track.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Agreed, but where else? LA's ADT Event Center comes to mind. Or
Manchester, as Boardman and others did.

http://www.homedepotcenter.com/venue...tompageid=6773
http://www.manchestervelodrome.com/

Has Lance ever ridden on the track? If not, it would seem Eki could
guide him initially. There's a wealth of track experience in his head
I'm sure!

Dear Dianne and Peter,

Colorado Springs may not be known as a fast track because
the fastest riders haven't tried to set records on it and
because everyone riding on it enjoys the same advantage.

It also wouldn't have much of a reputation in the bicycling
backwater of Colorado, since everyone rides at roughly that
altitude up and down the Front Range.

(The world famous Fogel Labs High-Speed Roll-Out Test-Track
is at about 4700 feet where the highway descent flattens out
abruptly at the Arkansas River. With no wind, you should
still be doing 29 mph at the speed sign in front of Dr.
Crawford's rural home. At a lower altitude with more wind
drag, my retired dentist might notice you going slower:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13... &datum=nad83

Jack's place is nestled in the bluff just to the left of the
red cross.)

At around 6,000 feet, the reduction in wind drag at the
Colorado Springs track may offer a net advantage even after
the aerobic loss.

This calculator predicts 7.46 meters/second for its ordinary
default values at sea level, but 7.64 m/s at 1500 meters
(only 4925 feet), 2.4% faster:

http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesSpeed_Page.html

This calculator predicts 22.1 mph for its defaults in the
much more aerodynamic superman hour position at sea level,
but 23.6 mph at 6000 feet, 6.8% faster

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Carl Fogel
Old January 31st 05, 09:41 PM
Roger Marquis

Tom Sherman wrote:
My point was a lot of people erroneously believe that sew-up tires have
less rolling resistance than clinchers do (all else being equal).

Depends on the tire. If you're willing to put up with the greater
weight, reduced shock dampening, and abominable cornering abilities of
a 21c clincher pumped up to 115+ psi then clinchers can have less
rolling resistance, but that's not all else being equal.

It is a trade-off, but not one based on rolling resistance alone. The
lighter weight of sew-ups in itself makes up for any minute difference
in rolling resistance. Far more importantly, the ability to corner
faster, especially on less than perfect pavement, and the fatigue saved
by a more comfortable ride, makes sew-ups considerably more efficient
in real world riding.

--
Roger Marquis
http://www.roble.net/marquis/
Old February 1st 05, 02:31 AM
Tom Sherman

Roger Marquis wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

My point was a lot of people erroneously believe that sew-up tires have
less rolling resistance than clinchers do (all else being equal).

Depends on the tire. If you're willing to put up with the greater
weight, reduced shock dampening, and abominable cornering abilities of
a 21c clincher pumped up to 115+ psi then clinchers can have less
rolling resistance, but that's not all else being equal.

It is a trade-off, but not one based on rolling resistance alone. The
lighter weight of sew-ups in itself makes up for any minute difference
in rolling resistance. Far more importantly, the ability to corner
faster, especially on less than perfect pavement, and the fatigue saved
by a more comfortable ride, makes sew-ups considerably more efficient
in real world riding.

Any objective test data demonstrating the greater cornering traction of
sew-up tires compared to clincher tires?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth