Natural evolution of ram's horn handlebar

Old January 21st 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Natural evolution of ram's horn handlebar

http://www.google.com/patents?id=P4E...g=PP1&dq=26542

http://www.sheep101.info/Images/rambomerinoram.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 21st 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:19:18 -0700, wrote:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=P4E...g=PP1&dq=26542

http://www.sheep101.info/Images/rambomerinoram.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Longer version:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=0ZE...g=PP1&dq=28297

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 21st 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 21, 3:02 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:19:18 -0700, wrote:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=P4E...g=PP1&dq=26542

http://www.sheep101.info/Images/rambomerinoram.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Longer version:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=0ZE...g=PP1&dq=28297

Don't ya think those shaped might have been in the pursuit of a wee
bit of deflection and comfort on what were likely much crummier roads
than we currently ride? BTW, my granny's bike had wooden grips like on
those old timey bars--on aluminum handlebars no less, and they were
fantastic!
Old January 22nd 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:10:32 -0800 (PST), landotter
wrote:

On Jan 21, 3:02 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:19:18 -0700, wrote:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=P4E...g=PP1&dq=26542

http://www.sheep101.info/Images/rambomerinoram.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Longer version:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=0ZE...g=PP1&dq=28297

Don't ya think those shaped might have been in the pursuit of a wee
bit of deflection and comfort on what were likely much crummier roads
than we currently ride? BTW, my granny's bike had wooden grips like on
those old timey bars--on aluminum handlebars no less, and they were
fantastic!

Dear LD,

Yes, the extra curl in the handlebar was mostly a hopeful stab at
reducing road buzz, just like the 1 & 1/2 inch wide tires on 30 inch
wheels and the elaborately sprung saddles of that era.

Your grandmother's wooden grips would probably feel good even on a
modern bicycle handlebar.

A wooden grip offers a much larger surface than just a piece of tape
wound around the handlebar. Its greater diameter also lets your hand
relax.

The cross-section of this 1897 grip shows just how much bigger a
wooden handle is than the handlebar that it slips over:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=_rR...=PP1&dq=586830

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 22nd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:19:18 -0700, wrote:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=P4E...g=PP1&dq=26542

http://www.sheep101.info/Images/rambomerinoram.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Early aero-bars:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=TIt...=PP1&dq=588166

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 22nd 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
On Jan 21, 3:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Ja. What I remember as a ten or so year old riding the thing, and it
was badass modern for its time (spring loaded carry handle on seat
tube anyone?), was that it foremost had satin alu handlebars, which
seemed so elegant compared to the chrome I was used to, and it had
those very old fashioned grips. The bars were standard Swedish bend,
in the North Road family, and with those grips, you sort of interfaced
very gently with the handlebars, like you were holding hard boiled
eggs. The grips were wooden with, I believe, aluminum caps at either
end. They'd been sprayed the same color as the bike, a metallic
robin's egg blue, and only a little had worn off, as Almo Livs, her
grocery store on the island was only a couple kilometers away, so the
bike got frequent, but light usage. Bendix 2 spd kickback hub and
crocheted and stretched skirt guard. I felt pretty special when she
let me ride her bike. Usually I was stuck with the ****ty folder that
had lost its pin, but it became a clown bike in practice.

Air horn illegal? dgk General 15 October 27th 07 03:27 PM
Thunder Horn Steve UK 23 August 11th 07 05:31 PM
12 volt horn? Bruce W.1 Techniques 14 March 30th 07 06:53 PM
Best horn? Peewiglet UK 16 July 4th 05 08:35 PM
I've got the horn Microsoft Jedi UK 21 September 24th 03 11:00 AM