Rolf Vector Comp, Hub disassembly

Old March 14th 04, 05:24 PM
Per Elmsäter

Default Rolf Vector Comp, Hub disassembly

dianne_1234 wrote:
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:07:48 GMT, "Per Elmsäter"
wrote:

My wheel seems to rotate really fine on the bearings. However the
rotor does not feel like it is rotating as freely as others I've
got. Is this the way it's supposed to be on this model with no load
on it, or do you think it would benefit from opening and applying
some grease. Imagine laying the wheel horizontal with the rotor down
and holding on to the rotor only. When I set the wheel spinning it
won't go on and on and on like I'd like to see it. It'll spin for
maybe 10 seconds ( no tire ) maybe twenty if I get it going real
good. The wheel is fairly fresh. Maybe 7-8000 km.

Thanks for the clear description.

I'd still be reluctant to take it apart, because of the chances of
damaging a cartridge bearing or general contamination (unless you're
meticulous and enjoy going carefully).

If it were mine, I'd still choose to ride it unopened. When the drag
increased enough to make the top part of the chain slack, then I'd
take it apart. That could be years, if ever. At that time I'd consider
adding a very thin film of slippery grease on the rubber seal under
the hub flange. That's been my experience of where the most drag comes
from.

So be it. Thanks

--
Perre

Old March 14th 04, 05:26 PM
Per Elmsäter

S o r n i wrote:
Garry Jones wrote:
dianne_1234 wrote:

If it were mine, I'd still choose to ride it unopened.

16 years of experience speaking here, if it works - don't fix it. It
rotates okay on the road, if you suspect any problems when you are
not on the bike - ignore them. I once took a campag record hub apart
and paid for it when one of the springs managed to dive down the
toilet just as another family member flushed. (Don't ask).

Yeah, like we're supposed to let THAT go unexplained!

Bill "on second thought..." S.

What arouses my curiosity is how and why he paid for it?

--
Perre