WSJ article on Dutch helmet-resistance

Old November 3rd 10, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default WSJ article on Dutch helmet-resistance

"Getting These Cyclists to Use Helmets Is Like Tilting at Windmills"
"Bicycle-Loving Dutch Hate Headgear; 'We Are Not in Germany'"

"But among Holland's millions of bikers, helmets are almost
nonexistent—and resistance to them is fierce. Only 0.1% of Dutch
bikers wear helmets, in contrast to 15% in nearby Sweden and 38% in
the U.S., according to the British cycling organization CTC."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...le_Lifestyle_5

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 3rd 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 3, 1:19*am, wrote:
"Getting These Cyclists to Use Helmets Is Like Tilting at Windmills"
"Bicycle-Loving Dutch Hate Headgear; 'We Are Not in Germany'"

"But among Holland's millions of bikers, helmets are almost
nonexistent—and resistance to them is fierce. Only 0.1% of Dutch
bikers wear helmets, in contrast to 15% in nearby Sweden and 38% in
the U.S., according to the British cycling organization CTC."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57557425061616...

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

The article states that the Dutch don't have a particularly high rate
of head injury via bike riding, then goes on to say that adults are
hard headed (ha) to not wear a helmet.

It's a classic concern troll ploy. Cycling isn't dangerous, but if you
don't wear a helmet you don't care about safety.

Showering isn't dangerous but if you don't...
Old November 3rd 10, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 11/3/2010 12:52 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 3-11-2010 7:19, schreef:
"Getting These Cyclists to Use Helmets Is Like Tilting at Windmills"
"Bicycle-Loving Dutch Hate Headgear; 'We Are Not in Germany'"

"But among Holland's millions of bikers, helmets are almost
nonexistent—and resistance to them is fierce. Only 0.1% of Dutch
bikers wear helmets, in contrast to 15% in nearby Sweden and 38% in
the U.S., according to the British cycling organization CTC."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...le_Lifestyle_5

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Whoe, ha,ha,ha..
Dutch wearing helmets for daily use cycling? Must be a foreigner to come
up with that idea...

Lou

"The Netherlands boasts the world's highest per capita use of bicycles.
It has thousands of miles of paved bicycle paths, with traffic lights
specifically for riders. It is dotted with sheltered bike parking.
Trains have bike compartments. Bikers get priority on most roads, and
youngsters take biking tests."

Old November 3rd 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Op 3-11-2010 7:19, schreef:
[...]

Those things are too abstract, they need to wear a symbol of caring
about safety on their heads, regardless of the efficacy or risk.
Old November 3rd 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 3-11-2010 7:19, schreef:
[...]

Exactly, and that without wearing helmets.
Let me tell you a story.
When I was in highschool (middelbare school in Dutch), all the teenagers
between 16 and 18 years old rode mopeds (brommers in Dutch). We could
ride them without helmets up to 40 km/hr. At some moment helmets became
mandatory and guess what, within a eyeblink mopeds almost vanished
completely. When they introduced mopeds that couldn't go faster that 25
km/hr and could be rode without helmets, mopeds got popular again by
teenagers. But of course upgrade kits got available very soon....
Mandatory helmets for bicycles in the Netherlands is not gonna happen.
Period.

Lou
Old November 3rd 10, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Op 3-11-2010 7:19, schreef:
[...]

Some might have thought that this was due to all of the
facilities ducking...

Let me tell you a story.
When I was in highschool (middelbare school in Dutch), all the teenagers
between 16 and 18 years old rode mopeds (brommers in Dutch). We could
ride them without helmets up to 40 km/hr. At some moment helmets became
mandatory and guess what, within a eyeblink mopeds almost vanished
completely. When they introduced mopeds that couldn't go faster that 25
km/hr and could be rode without helmets, mopeds got popular again by
teenagers. But of course upgrade kits got available very soon....
Mandatory helmets for bicycles in the Netherlands is not gonna happen.
Period.

Yeah, I was just adding that part about the facilities to show
that the Netherlands isn't typical compared to North America.

Old November 3rd 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Op 3-11-2010 7:19, schreef:
[...]

Lou- Hide quoted text -

I have to ask -- what did the kids who quit riding mopeds do for
transportation? Did they drive cars, ride bikes, skateboard? I don't
get the big issue with helmets -- why that would be a deal breaker for
cruising around on a moped. It's not like you're working up a sweat.

I understand that some people think that riding with a helmet makes
them look like a dork, or musses their hair or makes them hot -- so
they don't ride. That's the part I don't understand. I rode a bike
with a CAM walker fracture boot on one leg or the other for over six
months. http://orthotape.com/cam_walker.asp You would have to put a
boat anchor on my head before I quit riding. -- Jay Beattie.
Old November 3rd 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 11/3/2010 2:47 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Nov 3, 11:22 am, Lou wrote:
Op 3-11-2010 18:10, Duane H bert schreef:

I have to ask -- what did the kids who quit riding mopeds do for
transportation? Did they drive cars, ride bikes, skateboard? I don't
get the big issue with helmets -- why that would be a deal breaker for
cruising around on a moped. It's not like you're working up a sweat.

I understand that some people think that riding with a helmet makes
them look like a dork, or musses their hair or makes them hot -- so
they don't ride. That's the part I don't understand. I rode a bike
with a CAM walker fracture boot on one leg or the other for over six
months. http://orthotape.com/cam_walker.asp You would have to put a
boat anchor on my head before I quit riding. -- Jay Beattie.

My 13 year old son has no problem with helmets. He grew up with them.
Cycling, skating, skiing etc. You won't get him to wear lycra shorts
though. He'd definitely not ride if they were mandatory g.

Guess it just depends on the kids.