Electra Amsterdam Royal8 - dynamo front hub?

Old February 14th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default Electra Amsterdam Royal8 - dynamo front hub?

"Andre Jute" wrote:
Perhaps hub dynamos have been coming in for more than just 3-4 years;

Clive George wrote:
Fitted my first one in 1997, so over 10 years ago.

Yes, well over ten. My 1953 GH-6 Dynohub still works fine (if you prefer
a dull yellow Lucas-like glow).

The Sanyo Dynohubs on staff from early 1980s are quite bright. Newish
models are both bright and about 25% cheaper but that's not news any longer.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 14th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Clive George wrote:
Fitted my first one in 1997, so over 10 years ago.

Yes, well over ten. My 1953 GH-6 Dynohub still works fine (if you prefer
a dull yellow Lucas-like glow).

The Sanyo Dynohubs on staff from early 1980s are quite bright. Newish
models are both bright and about 25% cheaper but that's not news any longer.

Dear Andrew,

Humber advertised its "amazing patent Dynohub Lighting unit" with the
claim that it was "frictionless" in 1938:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bri...ber_ad1938.htm

Sheldon wrote about the Sturmey Archer Dynohub and included a 1952 ad:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

There, the claim was modified to "mechanically frictionless."

S-A fans can read the short 50th anniversary Sturmey-Archer history
pamphlet at Sheldon's site by going here and clicking on next:
http://sheldonbrown.com/sa50/index.html

Caution: giant butterfly axle nuts and piratical eye-patches.

These amazing Sturmey-Archer mileage claims raised my eyebrows:

"In 1939 Tommy Godwin, using a Sturmey~Archer hub, broke the year's
mileage record with the amazing total of 75,065 miles. Not content
with this he went on to cover 100,000 miles in 499 days."
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/sa50/page7.html

That's 205.65 miles _every_ day for a year in 1939, and 200.40 miles
per day in 499 days.

Some details about Godwin's amazing mileage appear he

http://www.phased.co.uk/index.php?op...=11&Itemi d=7

But my eyebrows disappear skyward again when I read that he maintained
a "strict vegetarian diet" throughout his feat and then "spent weeks
learning how to walk again" after he stopped.

Still, 200 miles a day for all but 8 days of a year is possible, so my
eyebrows have returned to a normal level:
http://miles4melanoma.com/hoffman.html

Freddie Hoffman never claimed to need to learn to walk again and the
noticeable spare tire mentioned in the article suggests a carnivorous
diet.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 14th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
[...]

There was a rural electrical kit in the 30s with the SA early (12v, 8v)
Dynohubs, windmill to drive it through batteries and light bulbs for the
farmhouse (or milking shed). Probably not as bright as a Coleman lantern
I assume ...
Old February 14th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:28:35 -0600, A Muzi
wrote:

There was a rural electrical kit in the 30s with the SA early (12v, 8v)
Dynohubs, windmill to drive it through batteries and light bulbs for the
farmhouse (or milking shed). Probably not as bright as a Coleman lantern
I assume ...

Dear Andrew,

Back when I asked what the hell this gorgeous hub was, it never
occurred to me that it could have been a monster Dynohub:
http://timeline.route66rambler.com/1...nKenosha01.jpg

Alas, it turned out to be just a two-speed internal gear hub.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 14th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Clive George wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Perhaps hub dynamos have been coming in for more than just 3-4 years;

Fitted my first one in 1997, so over 10 years ago.

AOL. I thought they were getting a bit common in the early 90's, that's
to say they weren't unusual. My tuppence worth.

Old May 28th 17, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, February 10, 2008 at 5:57:49 PM UTC-6, landotter wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:28 pm, "Jay" wrote:
OK, guys, this is really it. I need to spend my tax return this week, even
before I get it.

My only remaining concern is the headlight system, which uses an AXA
generator. Would I be well advised to use a hub dynamo instead? Are there
any advantages to the AXA generator? Why in the world is Electra going this
route? I would think, since they seem to love simple minimalist design, they
would have chosen a hub dynamo for the headlight power.

Dynamo:$10 Generator hub: $100

In urban Chicago, just get a AA powered "be seen" LED. Use the dynamo
occasionally to impress teh ladies.

whiiiiiiiir

Coming across this looking for information on updating the lights on my Electra Amsterdam.

Electra now uses a Shimano Nexus dyno hub on the Amsterdam. However, in a weird move, the headlight and taillight they use are Spanninga Swingo and Pixeo, *without* standlights. Which is a real WTF choice since it appears that Spanninga doesn't even sell them without standlights *except* through Electra. Now trying to find replacements *with* the standlights that will ship to Oklahoma...
Old May 28th 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On Feb 10, 5:28 pm, "Jay" wrote:
[...]

You might look into this instead
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL6000RC/.
Old May 29th 17, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2008 at 5:57:49 PM UTC-6, landotter wrote:
[....]

Coming across this looking for information on updating the lights on my
Electra Amsterdam.
Electra now uses a Shimano Nexus dyno hub on the Amsterdam. However, in
a weird move, the headlight and taillight they use are Spanninga Swingo
and Pixeo, *without* standlights. Which is a real WTF choice since it
appears that Spanninga doesn't even sell them without standlights *except*
through Electra. Now trying to find replacements *with* the standlight that will ship to Oklahoma...

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/spanninga.php

There is no actual need to stick to Spanninga products, most "6V3W dyno"
lights are compatible. To improve visibility at the same time as adding
standlight function, I'd try brighter lights, and maybe wire a second,
rack-mounted taillight in parallel. It's 2017, so running a 3W hub just to
power a "10 lux" Swingo and a tiny Pixeo seems a bit ... dim.

white LED front light, with standby for hub dynamo? bugbear UK 18 December 31st 07 08:51 PM
Front dynamo light. vernon UK 17 May 29th 07 08:52 AM
Rooling resistance of me front wheel hub dynamo Trevor A Panther UK 9 May 16th 07 01:42 PM
FS: Schmidt dynamo hub 406 mm front wheel Zach Recumbent Biking 0 March 13th 05 02:56 AM
FS: Schmidt dynamo 406 mm front wheel Zach Marketplace 0 March 12th 05 12:10 AM