Noticeable difference on steep hill 20.3 vs 25.3 gear inches?

Old May 27th 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Noticeable difference on steep hill 20.3 vs 25.3 gear inches?

On 2017-05-26 17:20, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 12:53:17 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-05-26 12:18,
wrote:

[...]

I get this grunge on the cap beak that looks like grease but
isn't. And it won't wash out. And if you try clorox it leaves
the black and bleaches everything else.

That's exactly the problem. Using harsh chemical on a head band
weakens or destroys the elastic parts of it, upon which it
becomes useless. At $1.50 or less not a major issue though.

I can't believe that you are serious. Back in my running days I
use a "sweat band" and I used to run 6 days a week in tropical
weather and never had your problems.

(but of course I used to wash my gear after every run, just as I
wash my riding gear after every ride now-a-days).

So do I. However, I assume your runs were not 4-5h long. My rides
are.

No only do theybstart looking grungy after a while but after all
those washes the elastic action gradually lets go so they srat
slipping down over my eyes. Then it's time for a new one.

Also, I can only talk about the bands sold at Walmart but was told
by others that they experienced the same regardless of what they
paid.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

At most bicycle stores they sell head caps. Not caps as in baseball
hats. But cloth domes that fit over your head. Helmet goes on
top/over this. No elastic necessary since the dome over your head
can't slip down unless the top of your head gets crushed down. These
domes have a thicker rim to absorb the sweat. And being all cloth on
top, they protect your head from sunburn through the helmet slits.

Good idea. I never thought one can get sun burns through helmet slits
but I guess you are right, one can.

Old May 27th 17, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-27 09:20, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 2:32:37 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

My friend has two bikes. One has a 30 teeth inner ring and the
other has a 24 teeth inner ring. He's wondering if a 30 front and
32 rear cog would be that much harder to pedal up a steep hill than
what a 24 front chainring and 32 rear cog would be. I thought it'd
be noticeable but he's not sure because it's only 6teeth difference
on the front. He's read somewhere that it takes a lot more teeth on
the front to make a difference than it does on the rear.

I take it your friend is not mathematically inclined. Math does not
care if the tooth change is on the front or rear cogs. ...

I think he meant you need to subtract a larger absolute number of teeth
up front that you need to add in back for the same cadence increase.
Which is correct unless you are already on a really small chain ring.

... It behaves the same.

The chain has a different opinion about this :-)

The reason a larger tooth change is needed on the front
chainrings is because you are usually starting with much larger
rings. A 42 or 39 ring on front. Compared to a 23 or 24 or 25 cog
on back. To get the same percent difference, you have to change the
24 cog by 6 to get 25% and you have to change the 39 ring by 10 to
get about 25%. 39x24 is a common gearing.

Not enough for us older farts.

Old May 28th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 26 May 2017 14:51:15 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

JOY BEESON You got your ears on, Darlin'?
If so could you please tell us how to get grease
out of a white(-ish) cap with a cardboard insert
in the bill? Thank You

Saturday, 27 May 2017

Thanks to this thread, I remembered that I'd dropped my white linen
do-rag into a bucket of water after this morning's ride, and it's
spinning out in the washing machine now. Seems like overkill to run a
full-size washing machine for something no bigger than a handkerchief
-- I made one of DH's do-rags out of a bandana and had scraps left
over -- but hand-cranked wringers (aka "mangles") are expensive, and
we haven't got house room for one anyway.

Machine finished spinning while I was writing, and the do-rag is now
draped over a brake cable to dry.

On to the topic: If there really is cardboard in the bill, the hat
is disposable. I have seen ads for gadgets that hold a baseball cap's
bill in shape while it dries -- some ads say that they are firm enough
to run through a wash cycle -- but cardboard is never the same again
after it gets wet.

But if the bill is stiffened by Timtex or a sheet of plastic -- I've
seen plastic needlework canvas recommended for this purpose -- all you
need to worry about is breaking it or pressing a crease into it. I'd
hesitate to put a stiff-billed cap through a wring cycle. Maybe I
would if I had a no-computer machine that would allow me to arrange
the cap flat against the wall before spinning, and wouldn't re-arrange
things just to keep its CPU busy.

My principle way to deal with stains is to saturate them with
undiluted liquid detergent before washing, and try to give them a few
minutes to soak before I start the machine. Usually no longer than it
takes to sort the rest of the load and fill the washer, but I put them
on the side where the water doesn't come in to give them an extra
fifteen minutes. (My "smart" (alec) washing machine takes a
ridiculous length of time to fill, because it has to run the water in
cute patterns, a dribble of hot, a dribble of cold, a split second of
full flow just to rub in that it could fill faster if it wanted to
.. . .)

A stubborn stain usually yields if I wet it, then rub it vigorously
with a bar of real soap. On our trip from New York to Warsaw (in the
eighties, if I recall correctly) I got a pleasant surprise: I washed
my white socks in the hotel sink every night by rubbing the chain-
grease stains with bar soap until they were hidden in suds, then
sloshed them in the sink until I could see the stains again, repeat
until the stains came out, wash the socks in the now-sudsy water,
rinse a whole bunch of times because one can't wring by hand very
thoroughly. Socks that had gotten dingy while being washed by machine
after every ride got to looking really nice by the end of the trip.

I once had a stain come out completely when I gave it a preliminary
scrub with plain water and a vegetable brush. It was quite fresh,
however; I'd noticed that I'd spilled tomato sauce on myself and
rushed right to the sink.

A soapy brush would be a very good way to clean a stiff-billed cap.

An old stain on the edge of the bill: saturate it with liquid
detergent, drop it into a bucket, wait at least ten minutes. The next
time you notice the bucket, put in enough water to cover the cap and
let it sit overnight or until washday. Wash as usual. If that
doesn't work, repeat using real soap.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old May 29th 17, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

wrote:

[...]

My mother had such a gadget in the early 80s, which she used to run
caps through the dishwasher.

--
sig 15
Old May 29th 17, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

wrote:

JOY BEESON You got your ears on, Darlin'? If so could you
please tell us how to get grease out of a white(-ish) cap
with a cardboard insert in the bill? Thank You

...(My "smart" (alec) washing machine takes a ridiculous length
of time to fill, because it has to run the water in cute
patterns, a dribble of hot, a dribble of cold, a split second
of full flow just to rub in that it could fill faster if it
wanted to . . .)

Love this nice personification, brought me a smile this holiday
morning. Thank you.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA