bad cyclists and my local roundabout, Overport Rd Frankston

Old May 29th 06, 08:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default bad cyclists and my local roundabout, Overport Rd Frankston

In the interests of balance, or to convince you that idiocy is equally
distributed amongst the human race, this is a story about my local
roundabout.

It is at the intersection of Overport Rd and Seaview Rd in Frankston.
This is a steep hill, and getting onto the roundabout going uphill is
not a problem either for cars or for cyclists. Actually Overport Rd is
a bit of a cycling freeway, so the relevant cyclists may read this.

The problem is on the downhill.

When I try to get onto the roundabout, there is a problem with cars
coming down the hill and inventing a new road rule, which basically
consists of : "Here I come going as fast as I can down the hill, get
out of my way." This is not the rule. The rule is that vehicles not on
the roundabout must give way to vehicles on the roundabout. So if I get
onto the roundabout before you, then you must give way to me.

So what did I witness when I staggered out to get the paper on Saturday
morning? A group of cyclists invoking the same rule as the cars do,
going down the hill at max speed (let's say about 70km/hr). They
entered the roundabout at this speed. Unfortunately there was a car
already in the roundabout.

Said cyclists proceeded to shout at the car "What are you doing...
etc...etc. " as they attempted to hurtle through the roundabout at
60km/hr plus.

Let's be clear about this: you are in the wrong, and you have to obey
the same rules as any other vehicle on the road. You have to give way
to the car in the roundabout.

I was at the Ride of Silence where Simon Gillett expanded on the cause
of his foundation. He is absolutely right when he says that cyclists
have to obey the rules. What must he be thinking when he witnesses
cyclists playing "chicken" with cars? I can only imagine.

So next time guys: slow to 40km/hr approaching the roundabout and give
way to cars on the roundabout. You may have a vivid imagination, but
trust me: you are not riding a stage of the Tour de France. The road is
not closed to traffic, and that is not your team car. Us locals won't
scrape what is left of you off the road and assemble the bits to put in
the hearse.

Old May 29th 06, 08:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Had a similar experience on the Brissie to Bay ride on the weekend.
Riders coming down a long hill with a set of lights at the bottom before
another climb. A copper was sitting at the lights to oversee the
intersection. Watched as about 10 or so riders in the ride came
screaming down the hill and straight through the lights just avoiding
the cars turning in front of them. I pulled up at the lights and was
chatting to the copper while the light were red. He just shook his head
and said well at least he could give a good witness statement as they
were washing the blood off the road.
Whats wrong with stopping at the red lights people ..............
........................................if you were in your cars you'd
stop. maybe?????
--
Regards

Max

I repeat- your life is just a test life.
Had it been an actual life you would have received further instructions
on what to do and where to go.

http://www.ipswichbug.org

Old May 29th 06, 08:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

jmccr wrote:

I guess that fact that 911 was an inside job through the Zionist media and
that we are in the middle of a war didn't occur to you during this mediocre
dilemma of your PRIVATE life.

Probably not. It didn't enter my mind reading his report either. So your
point?

Old May 29th 06, 08:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

AndrewJ wrote:
In the interests of balance, or to convince you that idiocy is equally
distributed amongst the human race, this is a story about my local
roundabout.

This is not news to many (although some may take exception .... )

It is at the intersection of Overport Rd and Seaview Rd in Frankston.
This is a steep hill, and getting onto the roundabout going uphill is
not a problem either for cars or for cyclists. Actually Overport Rd is
a bit of a cycling freeway, so the relevant cyclists may read this.

I ride that road reasonably regularly, know the intersection well. It,
and the one at the bottom of the hill, are to be treated with caution.

[...]

That's very true, and you're quite right. The dickheads that fly
through those roundabouts without looking or giving way are ...
dickheads.

Old May 29th 06, 08:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:
jmccr wrote:

I guess that fact that 911 was an inside job through the Zionist media and
that we are in the middle of a war didn't occur to you during this mediocre
dilemma of your PRIVATE life.

Probably not. It didn't enter my mind reading his report either. So your
point?

Tam, don't get trolled by this clown, please

Old May 29th 06, 09:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:

That's very true, and you're quite right. The dickheads that fly
through those roundabouts without looking or giving way are ...
dickheads.

So true. Bicycles are considered legal road traffic, so why do some
cyclists behave as if they're completely without fault? Could a high
percentage of cyclists be Catholic and therefore believe they also
share in papal infallibility? Ok that can easily shown to be complete
bollox...

Here's another ver of FD's Crankbusters:
http://www.woj.com.au/crankbusters/

And here's State bike rules & road laws, brush up on it if you require
a refresh or know someone who does..
http://www.woj.com.au/australian-road-authority-links/

--
cfsmtb

Old May 29th 06, 10:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
jmccr wrote:

I guess that fact that 911 was an inside job through the Zionist media and
that we are in the middle of a war didn't occur to you during this mediocre
dilemma of your PRIVATE life.

Probably not. It didn't enter my mind reading his report either. So your
point?

Tam, don't get trolled by this clown, please

Hey, now he's hijacking other threads, I was hoping he'd get worked up!
Grrr. It's late, I'm tired etc. And it looks cold out there. BOM says
it's 15deg C. Brrrrr.

Old May 29th 06, 12:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle

AndrewJ wrote:
[...]

AndrewJ, this is all your point of view. You are imaging Simon
Gillett's thoughts and imaging what other riders might be imagining. If
you've got time to spend railing about road behaviour, think about
risk. Your words won't be spent on the above. Try red-light running in
cars, speeding in cars, aggression in cars. They kill other people,
many times over, in every city, every day. Cyclists as a whole are no
more or less law-abiding than the rest of the community, including
car-ists. Hooning cyclists do not kill people, though they hurt
themselves from time to time. You won't pick up the cyclist and put
them in a hearse, but do you have the same approach to car crashes?
Attacking the behaviour of some cyclists is a classic divide-and-rule
strategy. Reject it. And don't be a boring fart. Have a try taking a
roundabout at 40 some time, and remember what it was like. You'll never
get in a tin box again.

Donga

(PS: did I just get trolled?)

Old May 29th 06, 01:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga Wrote:

(PS: did I just get trolled?)

Er, no, but did we just get trolled by you? You missed a vital point
here. The bunch went into the roundabout, then some cyclists
apparentely blamed the vehicle driver for already being there.
Inadvertently imitating aggressive & illogical behaviour, that some
drivers already direct towards cyclists, ain't doing us any favours in
the PR stakes.

--
cfsmtb

Old May 29th 06, 01:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

That's very true, and you're quite right. The dickheads that fly
through those roundabouts without looking or giving way are ...
dickheads.

Wow Bleve, that is so profound. I think I'll go meditate on that one
for a while.

Travis