need new rear rack for my Electra Amsterdam

Old July 16th 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default need new rear rack for my Electra Amsterdam

My OEM rear rack has broken, on the weld which joins the horizontal
piece to one of the vertical supports. I don't want to buy an exact
replacement, and then go through the process again every 15 months. I
only carry my relatively small and light Ortlieb Bike Box on the rear
rack, so IMO it was not overloaded.

I am looking for a very strong, well designed, black rear rack. I am
going to have my LBS order and install the rack. So if something is
not right, it is their headache. I just need to point my LBS in the
right direction. I do want to continue to use my Bike Box on the new
rack, for convenient commuting.

Any suggestions?

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...tpost-left.jpg

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...yal8-08-08.jpg

J.
Old July 16th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 16, 12:10*am, Jay wrote:
My OEM rear rack has broken, on the weld which joins the horizontal
piece to one of the vertical supports. I don't want to buy an exact
replacement, and then go through the process again every 15 months. I
only carry my relatively small and light Ortlieb Bike Box on the rear
rack, so IMO it was not overloaded.

I am looking for a very strong, well designed, black rear rack. I am
going to have my LBS order and install the rack. So if something is
not right, it is their headache. I just need to point my LBS in the
right direction. I do want to continue to use my Bike Box on the new
rack, for convenient commuting.

Any suggestions?

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...tpost-left.jpg

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...yal8-08-08.jpg

J.

Get the best, buy a Tubus. Since all you put on it is the Ortlieb Bike
Box, get a Tubus Fly, which is a minimal lightweight rack. It is made
of steel but then that's part of the Tubus policy; their rack lasts
and last. The Fly is a available in black.

Tubus also makes ali racks under another name, Racktime. I have one
and it is good but I don't think any of the ali racks are actually
lighter than the chro-mo Fly (instead they offer extra rails for
tourers that you aren't interested in), so you may as well get the
Fly.

You need to check that your Bike Box will fit but, Tubus and Ortlieb
both being German companies, it is extremely like that it will.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Check out Andre's recipes at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/FOOD.ht
Old July 16th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jay wrote:
My OEM rear rack has broken, on the weld which joins the horizontal
piece to one of the vertical supports. I don't want to buy an exact
replacement, and then go through the process again every 15 months. I
only carry my relatively small and light Ortlieb Bike Box on the rear
rack, so IMO it was not overloaded.

I am looking for a very strong, well designed, black rear rack. I am
going to have my LBS order and install the rack. So if something is
not right, it is their headache. I just need to point my LBS in the
right direction. I do want to continue to use my Bike Box on the new
rack, for convenient commuting.

Any suggestions?

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...tpost-left.jpg

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...yal8-08-08.jpg

Tubus are nice but so are Wald carriers and Bruce Gordon
hand flared hand brazed CrMo carriers.

Steel at any rate, $20 to $295, but not aluminum where
durability is critical.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 16th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Jul 15, 7:39*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Jul 16, 12:10*am, Jay wrote:

Get the best, buy a Tubus. Since all you put on it is the Ortlieb Bike
Box, get a Tubus Fly, which is a minimal lightweight rack. It is made
of steel but then that's part of the Tubus policy; their rack lasts
and last. The Fly is a available in black.

Tubus also makes ali racks under another name, Racktime. I have one
and it is good but I don't think any of the ali racks are actually
lighter than the chro-mo Fly (instead they offer extra rails for
tourers that you aren't interested in), so you may as well get the
Fly.

You need to check that your Bike Box will fit but, Tubus and Ortlieb
both being German companies, it is extremely like that it will.

HTH.

Andre Jute
*Check out Andre's recipes at
*http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/FOOD.ht- Hide quoted text -

Yes, Andre,

Tubus was indeed my first choice. I don't mind spending the $ for
quality. If my LBS agrees, the Tubus Fly is what I will order.

http://www.tubus.com/index/lang/en/r...%20and%2028%22

I don't care about weight, but I would like black if possible. I
expect to place this order Thursday PM with my LBS, because with only
one of the vertical supports functional, this is a significant problem
for my daily bike commute.

Thanks - J.

Old July 16th 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

http://www.tubus.com/index/lang/en/r...rs/artikel/Fly...

I don't care about weight, but I would like black if possible. I
expect to place this order Thursday PM with my LBS, because with only
one of the vertical supports functional, this is a significant problem
for my daily bike commute.

Thanks - J.- Hide quoted text -

Would this tail light be a good choice with this rack?

Busch & Muller 4D Toplight Permanent Battery Taillight

http://www.thetouringstore.com/BUSCH...LER%20HOME.htm

J.

Old July 16th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 15, 7:57*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Jay wrote:
[...]

Material matters little, whether it be the bike frame or the rack--as
long as it's built right. I've had great luck with aluminum racks,
amusingly enough--with the "Bor Yueh" brand from Taiwan. Stopped a
Subaru with one, bent it back, and it kept on truckin' for years. Like
it so much I got another for $15. Old Man Mountain are nice if one
needs the assurance of paying more for a domestically produced
product--they've got a mount for anything!

I do see the point of steel on a tourer--it's a bike part much more
likely to fail than an actual frame deep in the bush, but there's
still Fedex. ;-)
Old July 16th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
21trumpets

On Jul 15, 7:10*pm, Jay wrote:
My OEM rear rack has broken, on the weld which joins the horizontal
piece to one of the vertical supports. I don't want to buy an exact
replacement, and then go through the process again every 15 months. I
only carry my relatively small and light Ortlieb Bike Box on the rear
rack, so IMO it was not overloaded.

I am looking for a very strong, well designed, black rear rack. I am
going to have my LBS order and install the rack. So if something is
not right, it is their headache. I just need to point my LBS in the
right direction. I do want to continue to use my Bike Box on the new
rack, for convenient commuting.

Any suggestions?

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...tpost-left.jpg

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...yal8-08-08.jpg

J.

How do you "get a leg over"?
Old July 16th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 16, 2:41*am, Jay wrote:
On Jul 15, 7:58*pm, Jay wrote:

On Jul 15, 7:39*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

http://www.tubus.com/index/lang/en/r...rs/artikel/Fly...

Would this tail light be a good choice with this rack?

Busch & Muller 4D Toplight Permanent Battery Taillight

http://www.thetouringstore.com/BUSCH...%20MULLER%20HO...

J.

Sure. Those BUMM LED back lights with the extra bright LEDs are all
good. I have a D'Toplight on my current bike, the rather ugly
overstyled XS version, which I like because the standlight shines as
brightly as the lamp when it is going, and for several minutes. Lou
and Bernhard have the D'Toplight Flat versions (which look better than
mine). The one you want to order, besides being a battery light,
differs by having side-throwing LEDs added to the central LED. There's
one in that line that switches itself on and off (senso) but a major
commuter like you is hardly likely to forget to switch his lights. For
me the downside of the BUMM rear lights is that they don't flash
(German lights are streng verboten by law to flash, so German
manufacturers like BUMM stick to steady lights), so those of us who
believe in flashing lights have to add a flashing light; ask if you
want the names of good flashing lights. You can find the details of
the various models in the BUMM catalogue: on each page scroll to the
table at the bottom for a comparison of features. http://bumm.de/index-e.html

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Old July 16th 09, 07:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

On Jul 16, 12:10 am, Jay wrote:

[...]

From the Tubus range, the Fly is the worst choice for your use and the
bike you want to fit it on

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old July 16th 09, 08:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

21trumpets wrote:

Jay wrote:

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...tpost-left.jpg