AN interesting article

Old November 25th 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default AN interesting article

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3249958

(Sorry if this is a repeat posting. I posted this about 1 hour ago and
haven't seen the post show up yet)

Old November 25th 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On 25 Nov 2005 14:21:18 -0800, "Colorado Bicycler"
wrote:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3249958

(Sorry if this is a repeat posting. I posted this about 1 hour ago and
haven't seen the post show up yet)

Well, I saw it OK - it showed up promptly here in Brunswick (Germany)
which is not exactly next door, so maybe your ISP's news server is
dragging the chain a bit.
Old November 26th 05, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Seems the whole google groups system (which I use since my ISP dropped
usenet) went down for two days, and is just now catching up, something
that was not apparent to me when I posted the second post.

Sorry!

Old November 27th 05, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Colorado Bicycler" wrote in message
oups.com...
Seems the whole google groups system (which I use since my ISP dropped
usenet) went down for two days, and is just now catching up, something
that was not apparent to me when I posted the second post.

Google Groups is always slow in showing postings. It's predecessor, Deja
News, also was slow.

Old November 27th 05, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:59:37 GMT, "Mike Kruger"
wrote:

"Colorado Bicycler" wrote in message
roups.com...
Seems the whole google groups system (which I use since my ISP dropped
usenet) went down for two days, and is just now catching up, something
that was not apparent to me when I posted the second post.

Google Groups is always slow in showing postings. It's predecessor, Deja
News, also was slow.

sunsite.dk has just dropped the entire rec.* hierarchy. It appears
to be entirely composed of computing related groups now.
Old November 27th 05, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

"Colorado Bicycler" wrote in message
groups.com...
Seems the whole google groups system (which I use since my ISP dropped
usenet) went down for two days, and is just now catching up, something
that was not apparent to me when I posted the second post.

Google Groups is always slow in showing postings. It's predecessor, Deja
News, also was slow.

Google is ten times faster than Deja -- have you used Google news lately?

sunsite.dk has just dropped the entire rec.* hierarchy. It appears
to be entirely composed of computing related groups now.

Sunsite dropped basically all their newsgroups. So then I tried teranews,
but I couldn't seem to configure it right, and they had zero customer
service, so that was a few bucks (not many) down the drain. Fortunately,
earthlink is now working for me -- they seem to have gotten their act
together.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old November 27th 05, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 04:10:09 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:
sunsite.dk has just dropped the entire rec.* hierarchy. It appears
to be entirely composed of computing related groups now.

Sunsite dropped basically all their newsgroups. So then I tried teranews,
but I couldn't seem to configure it right, and they had zero customer
service, so that was a few bucks (not many) down the drain. Fortunately,
earthlink is now working for me -- they seem to have gotten their act
together.

Sunsit still has a measley 4525 groups
alt.comp.*, alt.os.*, comp.*, emacs.*, gnu.*, linux.*,
opera.* and whole whack of microsoft.public.* crap, etc.

The only groups I noticed that aren't necessarily related to computing
or their server are the dk.* groups with the
dk.marked.privat.cykel being the sole bicycling group I saw.
Old November 27th 05, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Not since I have been using it for about 6 months now. Generally, it
takes about 5 seconds for the message to post. Yesterday seems to have
been an atypical system failure.

Old November 27th 05, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Colorado Bicycler" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not since I have been using it for about 6 months now. Generally, it
takes about 5 seconds for the message to post. Yesterday seems to have
been an atypical system failure.

I often experience substantial delays in seeing my postings when I post via
Google Groups.

Old November 27th 05, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:43:36 -0800, Zoot Katz
wrote:

sunsite.dk has just dropped the entire rec.* hierarchy. It appears
to be entirely composed of computing related groups now.

Interesting - some were suggesting sunsite.dk as an alternative to
news.individual.net, when it ceased to be a free server. Glad I
didn't follow that idea up.