Trek Crank Length

Old January 7th 04, 01:14 AM
Garrison Hilliard

Default Trek Crank Length

Shorter crank arms make for quicker spinning, longer crank arms make for better hillclimbing (via increased leverage)... or, at least. that's the common wisdom. I've never really noticed that the crank lengths made that big of a difference in either casre.
Old January 7th 04, 02:30 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
"Garrison Hilliard" wrote:

Shorter crank arms make for quicker spinning, longer crank arms make for
better hillclimbing (via increased leverage)... or, at least. that's the
common wisdom. I've never really noticed that the crank lengths made that big
of a difference in either casre.

Thats what I have been told all these years. But who really knows until maybe
you have tried them?

My MTBıs and Hybrids have 175 crank arms.

My Lemond roadie has 172.5ıs

I canıt really tell the difference. Both are comforable.

HAND

Old January 8th 04, 06:36 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Garrison Hilliard wrote:

Shorter crank arms make for quicker spinning, longer crank arms make for better hillclimbing (via increased leverage)... or, at least. that's the common wisdom. I've never really noticed that the crank lengths made that big of a difference in either casre.

Crank length *should* be related to your thigh length to ensure your
knee articulates through a sensible angle. Unfortunately most
manufacturers (and retailers) set a premium on anything other than 170mm
or 175mm. I'd love some 165mm MTB cranks but Shimano only make XTR
ones, which are about the price of a cheap foreign holiday.

Old January 8th 04, 07:28 PM

Garrison Hilliard writes:

Shorter crank arms make for quicker spinning, longer crank arms make
for better hillclimbing (via increased leverage)... or, at
least. that's the common wisdom. I've never really noticed that the
crank lengths made that big of a difference in either casre.

Well I think crank is this:

http://www.campagnolo.com/pics/03_REguranitura.jpg

and a crank-arm is this:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/PMP_crk_ad.htm

and a crank-arm-lever is this:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Rar...rest_pics3.htm

# Crank:

# 1 : a bent part of an axle or shaft or an arm keyed at right angles
# to the end of a shaft by which circular motion is imparted to or
# received from the shaft or by which reciprocating motion is changed
# into circular motion or vice versa

This is like all the rest of popular embellished speech, where there
are no roads but roadways, it doesn't rain, we have rain storms or
worse, rain storm systems moving through our area. All this seems to
IMPACT on understanding instead of affecting it?

Jobst Brandt

Old January 9th 04, 01:26 AM
Carl Fogel

wrote in message ...
Garrison Hilliard writes:

[...]

Dear Jobst,

If you're not careful, you might wind up being
thought of as a crank on the subject.

Crankily,

Carl Fogel
Old January 9th 04, 11:41 AM
Andrew Bradley

Zog The Undeniable wrote in message ...

Crank length *should* be related to your thigh length to ensure your
knee articulates through a sensible angle.

Minor point, but leg length would be a better (and easier) measure for
"standardising" knee angles.

For a given leg length, linking crank-length to thigh-length tends to
standardise hip angles.

According to my calculations if you link 2 great pearls/myths: KOPS
and "cranks proportional to femurs", everybody's thighs end up doing
very nearly the same thing in relation to an upper body inclined at a
given angle to the ground (ankling idiosyncrasies aside).

This approach would tend to standardise the "aerodynamic tuck"
situation (while leaving the knees to their own devices) and is used
by a good few bike fitters. Not sure this is their rationale, though.

Andrew Bradley
Old January 9th 04, 11:43 AM
Andrew Bradley

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message ...
Shorter crank arms make for quicker spinning, longer crank arms make for better hillclimbing (via increased leverage)... or, at least. that's the common wisdom.

Gears are there for leverage adjustments. Using shorter cranks for
spin defeats the object.

Andrew Bradley
Old January 9th 04, 02:30 PM
David Damerell

wrote:
This is like all the rest of popular embellished speech, where there
are no roads but roadways, it doesn't rain, we have rain storms or

At a time of year when rain and snow are likely, how would you uniquely
describe heavy rain accompanied by high winds and thick cloud cover?
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old January 9th 04, 04:16 PM
JeffP

At high RPM's I can tell the difference between my 172's and my 168's, so I
imagine, although I never spin that high for that long on a Mtn bike, that my
175's are not for spinning.

For road riding, spinning to me is over 110Rpms, 90 is crusing and 105 is in the
grove, 120 to 130 is to train or strain.

HTH

JeffP....

om...

Old January 9th 04, 05:56 PM

Crank arm length question David Kerber General 13 May 20th 04 06:19 PM
Longer crankarms Jiyang Chen Racing 129 March 18th 04 12:37 PM
Optimum crank length Frank Day Racing 37 December 3rd 03 03:35 PM