Bicycle Carrier Name - Annoying

Old July 14th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
21trumpets

Default Bicycle Carrier Name - Annoying

If I'm looking for a bicycle seat, I will find seats only made for
bicycles.
If I'm looking for a bicycle pedal, I will find pedals only made for
bicycles.
But if I'm looking for a bicycle carrier, I will find something to
attach to a car.
I don't want a basket, I want a bicycle carrier, a metal thing-a-ma-
jig that bolts
on the rear of a bicycle.
It's very annoying to go searching for a bicycle carrier.
Am I missing the secret name?
Old July 15th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 14 July, 23:32, 21trumpets wrote:
If I'm looking for a bicycle seat, I will find seats only made for
bicycles.
If I'm looking for a bicycle pedal, I will find pedals only made for
bicycles.
But if I'm looking for a bicycle carrier, I will find something to
attach to a car.
I don't want a basket, I want a bicycle carrier, a metal thing-a-ma-
jig that bolts
on the rear of a bicycle.
It's very annoying to go searching for a bicycle carrier.
Am I missing the secret name?

box, bag, basket RACK the framework the others affix to. A
pannier rack or luggage rack or er....
Old July 15th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Bike carriers for your car was Bicycle Carrier Name - Annoying

someone wrote:
On 14 July, 23:32, 21trumpets wrote:
If I'm looking for a bicycle seat, I will find seats only made for
bicycles.
If I'm looking for a bicycle pedal, I will find pedals only made for
bicycles.
But if I'm looking for a bicycle carrier, I will find something to
attach to a car.
I don't want a basket, I want a bicycle carrier, a metal thing-a-ma-
jig that bolts
on the rear of a bicycle.
It's very annoying to go searching for a bicycle carrier.
Am I missing the secret name?

box, bag, basket RACK the framework the others affix to. A
pannier rack or luggage rack or er....

yes, I think of the thing on a bike as a "rack" and the thing on the
roof of my car as a "carrier."

Speaking of which, just completely as an aside, I think I'm going to pop
for a pair of the RockyMounts "pitchforks" (I know, fork mount bad, but
I have my reasons) all I have now is a pair of really old Thule fork
mounts that are so old that they don't play nice with lawyer lips. I'll
keep those for extras in case I ever need to carry more than two bikes
at once. The RockyMounts ones seem at a glance to be about the best
deal going. Or does someone know different? I'll have to order them as
all that REI, LBS etc. have on display are Thule - no chance to inspect
before buying. The real appeal for me is the stainless steel skewer - I
can't absolutely guarantee that they'll never get rained on.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 15th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dick blisters

"21trumpets" wrote in message
If I'm looking for a bicycle seat, I will find seats only made for
bicycles.
If I'm looking for a bicycle pedal, I will find pedals only made for
bicycles.
But if I'm looking for a bicycle carrier, I will find something to
attach to a car.
I don't want a basket, I want a bicycle carrier, a metal thing-a-ma-
jig that bolts
on the rear of a bicycle.
It's very annoying to go searching for a bicycle carrier.
Am I missing the secret name?

When I was a kid delivering papers, we called it a carrier. It was a great
big black metal cage affair mounted on to the handle bars and
supported/bolted to the front wheel axle. This was on a balloon tired bike.

Old July 15th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:32:51 -0700 (PDT), 21trumpets
wrote:

If I'm looking for a bicycle seat, I will find seats only made for
bicycles.
If I'm looking for a bicycle pedal, I will find pedals only made for
bicycles.
But if I'm looking for a bicycle carrier, I will find something to
attach to a car.
I don't want a basket, I want a bicycle carrier, a metal thing-a-ma-
jig that bolts
on the rear of a bicycle.
It's very annoying to go searching for a bicycle carrier.
Am I missing the secret name?

"Rack" is as close as you'll get. Even it will get you things to park bikes on
or hold them to cars.

It is an ongoing annoyance.

Old July 15th 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

21trumpets wrote:
If I'm looking for a bicycle seat, I will find seats only made for
bicycles.
If I'm looking for a bicycle pedal, I will find pedals only made for
bicycles.
But if I'm looking for a bicycle carrier, I will find something to
attach to a car.
I don't want a basket, I want a bicycle carrier, a metal thing-a-ma-
jig that bolts
on the rear of a bicycle.
It's very annoying to go searching for a bicycle carrier.
Am I missing the secret name?

"Wald 215"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 15th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 14, 11:59*pm, AMuzi wrote:
21trumpets wrote:
If I'm looking for a bicycle seat, I will find seats only made for
bicycles.
If I'm looking for a bicycle pedal, I will find pedals only made for
bicycles.
But if I'm looking for a bicycle carrier, I will find something to
attach to a car.
I don't want a basket, I want a bicycle carrier, a metal thing-a-ma-
jig that bolts
on the rear of a bicycle.
It's very annoying to go searching for a bicycle carrier.
Am I missing the secret name?

"Wald 215"

Topeak Explorer with spring. Best inexpensive rack, IMHO. You can't
beat a spring when impulsively picking up your alternative news weekly
from a busy intersection's paper kiosk, and the welded blinky mount is
great. Even comes in a well engineered disk brake version that's far
better than the crap from Axiom.

Old July 16th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:05:51 -0700 (PDT), landotter wrote:

On Jul 14, 11:59*pm, AMuzi wrote:
21trumpets wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but that's the only thing the big mousetrap is good for. It smashes your
donuts.

Somewhere I've got a sketch of a rack with fold down stake body. Upright, it
forms a basket and folds down to get out of the way.
Old July 16th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 14, 11:59*pm, AMuzi wrote:
21trumpets wrote:
[...]

Nonsense--I've used spring racks for over twenty years and have
transported all sorts of things on them, mainly bundles of groceries
in cloth bags and such. Front rack is for donuts and soup.

Bicycle Carrier Basket or? RF[_3_] Techniques 9 July 6th 08 09:25 PM
how annoying Adam Lea UK 15 July 7th 07 10:13 PM
ALSO.. yes im getting annoying mess14951 Unicycling 2 May 23rd 07 06:28 AM
bicycle carrier for cars without tow-bars? Yuri Budilov Australia 4 February 17th 04 06:22 AM
FA: BMW 5 series bicycle carrier and roof rails Tim S Kemp UK 18 August 19th 03 04:13 PM