Anyone put disc brakes on a V-Rex?

Old July 27th 03, 03:32 PM
John Foltz

Default Anyone put disc brakes on a V-Rex?

Dave Miller wrote:
My V-Rex was almost in a V-Wreck today after a sudden downpour altered
the stopping power of my brakes.

Anyone have any advise or experience adding disc brakes to a V-Rex

I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
a brake booster.

--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Old July 27th 03, 10:51 PM
Jeff Wills

Dave Miller wrote:
My V-Rex was almost in a V-Wreck today after a sudden downpour altered
the stopping power of my brakes.

Anyone have any advise or experience adding disc brakes to a V-Rex

Like John said, it's a very involved conversion. You'll need a
frambuilder to fabricate tabs for the caliper mounts, a paint job to
follow, and new hubs and rebuilt wheels over and above the purchasing
the disk brake hardware. I can't see getting away from the shop for
less than $500. Five hundred bucks buys some darn good caliper
brakes.

In addition to John's suggestion of a brake booster, I'd try replacing
the brake shoes with Kool-Stop salmon colored units:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=BR1226 .
The salmon-colored shoes are the choice of bike couriers here in
Portland. They've worked fine for my commuter bike, too.

Jeff

Old July 27th 03, 11:55 PM
William Higley, Sr.

I just had a ceramic rim and pads put on the rear of my Vision R-50. My LBS
did the all the assembly. This cost me about $165. This was probably about
$30 - $40 more than a standard rim.

My experience on my road bike has been very good. They give better stopping
power in both wet and dry conditions. They don't seem to fade in wet
weather. They seem to hold up well in long downhill descents. If you are
about ready to switch out rims for any reason you might inquire with your
LBS and see what they have to say.

I was going through rims about every 4000 miles on my road bike and mountain
bike. Even with cleaning the rims every night when I got home. (Riding year
round I pick up a lot of grit and the brakes have to work a little harder to
stop 225 + lb.s of me and gear.) I put 2000 miles on my road bike after
installing the ceramic rims and pads. They show very little wear at this
time. They showed me a set of rims that had about 10,000 on them and they
still looked very good.

Old July 28th 03, 02:57 AM
Bobinator

I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
a brake booster.

Tell me more. What is a brake booster?

Old July 28th 03, 03:12 AM
harv

It is a metal or composite arched plate that mounts to the brake studs via
a longer set of screws through the brakes' pivots. It will resist flexing of
the chain stays or fork legs as the brake pads apply force to the rim and
cause a torque moment about the mounts. The booster improves braking by
making the frame/brake mount stiffer. I use a booster on the rear brake of
my V-REX.
om...

Old July 28th 03, 04:12 AM
John Foltz

Bobinator wrote:
I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
a brake booster.

Tell me more. What is a brake booster?

A brake booster is a horseshoe-shaped device which attaches to the
canti posts. Its purpose is to prevent the stays from bowing out
when the brakes are applied. This is especially useful on RANS
bikes, which use relatively small diameter tubing for the stays.
Preventing the stays from deflecting makes more pressure available
on the rim, with obvious benefit to braking power.

Brake boosters can cost as much as $50USD, but if you watch for
deals they can be had for $5.

--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)