Never-answered question about rims

Old October 30th 04, 11:54 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default Never-answered question about rims

M13II by Sun-Ringle... polished silver finish, brushed
sidewalls... do these qualify as unanodized? Or must the rims
tarnish in order to pass the test?

At: http://www.sun-ringle.com/prods/oemrims.html

I see only an anodized version and it doesn't use spoke sockets, only
eyelets. I don't know what the idea is behind that but all good rims
that weren't deep aero cross sections used to have spoke sockets that
distributed loads to both inner and outer beds of the rim. Rims
without sockets cracked.

Better yet, what are rims such as the Sun Rhyno Lite? They appear
to be painted, but I usually refer to it as anodizing. If it is
truly anodizing, then the brake pads should wear out long before the
anodizing wears away, no?

Anodizing does not wear away on the inside of the rim or on the bed
where the spoke loads bear. If you post a URL with your comments,
looking at the rim would be easier.

I'm sorry... I forgot to be clearer. My Rhyno Lite has unfinished braking
surfaces. I took some pictures...

The rim and tire... crappy joint.
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/um1.jpg

Zoomed-out view of the next pic
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/um2.jpg

Original-sized cropped view of the rim
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/um3.jpg

Zoomed-out view of another section of rim
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/um4.jpg

Original crop
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/um5.jpg

The last picture demonstrates my use of mud to break in the pads and rim
surface early on in the rim's life. It worked quite well.

Something to note: I had excellent braking performance when the anodizing
was still there... as the miles rack up, glaze and possibly invisible stuff
has polluted the surfaces... I would rather ride with muddy rims than clean
off and/or sand pads and rim surfaces.

Another question: does everyone see this happen on their unfinished rims?
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/rim1.jpg
It appears to be that the rim is being pulled away at the locations of the
drive-side nipples (picture taken from the nondriveside). The other side of
the wheel demonstrates much less of this effect.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 31st 04, 06:44 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

Another question: does everyone see this happen on their unfinished rims?
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/rim1.jpg
It appears to be that the rim is being pulled away at the locations of the
drive-side nipples (picture taken from the nondriveside). The other side of
the wheel demonstrates much less of this effect.

Yes, the anodising does wear unevenly. I've seen it on Mavic Open 4CD
rims too.
Old November 1st 04, 04:09 AM

Phil who? writes:

Another question: does everyone see this happen on their unfinished
rims?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/rim1.jpg

It appears to be that the rim is being pulled away at the locations
of the drive-side nipples (picture taken from the nondriveside).
The other side of the wheel demonstrates much less of this effect.

Yes, we've discussed that at length here. A slight deformation of the
sidewall appears to be caused in manufacturing by spoke bores, but has
no effect on performance.

Jobst Brandt

Old November 1st 04, 04:42 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:09:07 GMT,
wrote:

Phil who? writes:

Another question: does everyone see this happen on their unfinished
rims?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/rim1.jpg

It appears to be that the rim is being pulled away at the locations
of the drive-side nipples (picture taken from the nondriveside).
The other side of the wheel demonstrates much less of this effect.

Yes, we've discussed that at length here. A slight deformation of the
sidewall appears to be caused in manufacturing by spoke bores, but has
no effect on performance.

You piqued my curiosity. I was had been looking at a wheel here that
displayed a lesser amount of this effect. and since it is not on a
bike at the moment, and needed some other work anyway, I grabbed a
mike and did some measuring as I released some spoke tensions. The
width at the tip of the sidewalls varied around the rim, and there was
a definite waviness that followed the spokes; the wave was
characterized by about two and a half to three thousandths of
difference between at-spoke and between-spoke width. When I released
the tension on four spokes, the measurement increased at each of those
locations by about two thousandths, with the result that the wheel had
much less waviness in the rim width across those regions.

I think this indicates that the spoke tension is causing the rim to
deform slightly at the spoke locations. I don't necessarily view that
as a problem, though; it certainly does not seem to be causing any
difficulties. I've noticed this type of wear pattern a number of
times, and it does not seem to be associable with any pattern of
failure.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 1st 04, 05:49 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I think this indicates that the spoke tension is causing the rim to
deform slightly at the spoke locations. I don't necessarily view that
as a problem, though; it certainly does not seem to be causing any
difficulties. I've noticed this type of wear pattern a number of
times, and it does not seem to be associable with any pattern of
failure.

I think it's due to spoke tension, too, because the wavy pattern is apparent
to a much higher degree on my non-drive-side than on the drive side.

Thanks for the testing and hard data.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 2nd 04, 03:22 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 04:49:18 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

I think this indicates that the spoke tension is causing the rim to
deform slightly at the spoke locations. I don't necessarily view that
as a problem, though; it certainly does not seem to be causing any
difficulties. I've noticed this type of wear pattern a number of
times, and it does not seem to be associable with any pattern of
failure.

I think it's due to spoke tension, too, because the wavy pattern is apparent
to a much higher degree on my non-drive-side than on the drive side.

Thanks for the testing and hard data.

Oddly enough, in looking through the rest of the used wheels, I ran
across a Ritchey front rim that had the wavy pattern reversed; the
wide spots ae at the spokes, rather than between them. Most of the
rims showed no wavy pattern at all. This still looks like it's more
of a curiosity than anything else, though; it doesn't seem to have
much of an effect on the usefulness of the rim.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.