NoCom = 6 mph faster than Highwheeler

Old April 30th 05, 10:40 PM
Slugger

whats the rush?
Old May 3rd 05, 11:46 PM
NoComRulez

Now THAT's an example of crap that makes no difference. Sean Costin can
sprint faster than that on an upright. Doesn't have anything to do with
the discussion here, which is the major speed difference with a same
rider at the same effort on the same course...

On a related note, I've been riding the highwheeler the past few days,
and it is indeed at least 5 mph slower. I guess my breakfast must be
wrong, eh Freewheeler? Of course, I eat the same thing every day...
Must be the moon phase then? Tides? Couldn't be the bike, not with all
these geniuses who've never ridden either platform chiming in with
their educated conclusions...

Old May 4th 05, 12:58 AM
Mark Leuck

"NoComRulez" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now THAT's an example of crap that makes no difference. Sean Costin can
sprint faster than that on an upright. Doesn't have anything to do with
the discussion here, which is the major speed difference with a same
rider at the same effort on the same course...

True but you are making a big deal about the bike doing sprints at 34 mph, I
have no doubt the NoCom is much faster than an upright but other bikes can
do the same thing

On a related note, I've been riding the highwheeler the past few days,
and it is indeed at least 5 mph slower. I guess my breakfast must be
wrong, eh Freewheeler? Of course, I eat the same thing every day...
Must be the moon phase then? Tides? Couldn't be the bike, not with all
these geniuses who've never ridden either platform chiming in with
their educated conclusions...

To be honest we've yet to see any "geniuses" chiming anything in about that
bike, or documented race results etc..

Old May 4th 05, 10:34 AM
Dave Larrington

Mark Leuck wrote:

To be honest we've yet to see any "geniuses" chiming anything in
about that bike, or documented race results etc..

We have already seen that Wretch Fleming is considerably faster on his NoCom
than on his RatRacer, most notably last time out at Castle Combe. In 2004 I
would have beaten him fairly comfortably had I not contrived to crash out of
the unfaired lead on the last corner of the last lap; this year he lapped
me. Twice.

Funsize Mars bars? What could possibly be MORE fun about eating LESS
chocolate?

Old May 4th 05, 12:31 PM
Ed Gin

NoCom Rulez,

Your point is well heeded. Just wait as the season progresses. Your
current "out of shape 34 mph" sprint speed will move into the 40's. Three
of our Chicago based NoCom riders are in that range year round.

Freewheeling's dismal 34 speed on a "old school" lowbike, Baron,
Jester, M-5 steel, etc. will never experience what real speed is all
about.

Ed Gin

Old May 5th 05, 01:19 AM
Mark Leuck

"Ed Gin" wrote in message
NoCom Rulez,

Your point is well heeded. Just wait as the season progresses. Your
current "out of shape 34 mph" sprint speed will move into the 40's. Three
of our Chicago based NoCom riders are in that range year round.

Freewheeling's dismal 34 speed on a "old school" lowbike, Baron,
Jester, M-5 steel, etc. will never experience what real speed is all
about.

Ed Gin

Fair enough, lets see the results posted when it happens

Old May 5th 05, 06:03 AM
Ed Gin

Mark,

When is not relevant, that's history. See this thread:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...ead.php?t=8590

Note two specific examples of Neil racing the the BHPC series at over 30 mph
for 10 miles.
Another recent event had him lapping the field twice.

Chicago NoCom's run in the 40 mph range for substantial pulls, not just a
momentary top speed sprint.

And finally, my PB for a senior citizen was over 30 mph average for 15 miles.

Please note in each instance, drafting was NOT REQUIRED...........

Ed Gin

Old May 5th 05, 06:29 AM
Mark Leuck

"Ed Gin" wrote in message
Mark,

When is not relevant, that's history. See this thread:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...ead.php?t=8590

Note two specific examples of Neil racing the the BHPC series at over 30

mph
for 10 miles.
Another recent event had him lapping the field twice.

Chicago NoCom's run in the 40 mph range for substantial pulls, not just a
momentary top speed sprint.

And finally, my PB for a senior citizen was over 30 mph average for 15

miles.

Please note in each instance, drafting was NOT REQUIRED...........

Ed Gin

That's someone's posting, I'd rather see a few results from official
websites

I never draft either

Old May 5th 05, 09:18 AM
Peter Clinch

Mark Leuck wrote:

That's someone's posting, I'd rather see a few results from official
websites

Though Dave Larrington /is/ the editor of the BHPC newsletter, so I
imagine it will progress to "official" soon.

In the meantime it would be nice if some folk realised we're not all
interested in going fast to the exclusion of anything else. I ride a
Streetmachine for comfort and luggage carrying reasons, I don't /care/
that it isn't very fast!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old May 5th 05, 11:14 AM
Dave Larrington

Peter Clinch wrote:
Mark Leuck wrote:

That's someone's posting, I'd rather see a few results from official
websites

Though Dave Larrington /is/ the editor of the BHPC newsletter, so I
imagine it will progress to "official" soon.

s/is/was/ However, I /am/ also the BHPC's Keeper ov thee Records, and race
results may be seen at or near he

URL:http://www.bhpc.org.uk/events05/events05.html

17 km at 48.7 km/h on the indoor velodrome in Newport

86 km at 40.6 km/h on the Castle Combe motor racing circuit (on a /very/
windy day)

Although the hippopotamus hath no sting in its tail, the wise man would
rather be seated upon the back of a bee.